Author Topic: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project  (Read 94706 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Tug's Corliss Tandem Compound Project
« Reply #570 on: December 20, 2020, 10:40:42 PM »
Great finish and proportions, terrific!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #571 on: December 21, 2020, 12:35:06 AM »
Beautiful work Tug, looks very much like it might have been part of the original engine.

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #572 on: December 21, 2020, 04:47:16 PM »
Hi Tug, saw you were waiting for small bore copper pipe ...I have quite a lot ..removed from dumped fridges on my crepuscular perambulations ,!! so if you need any let me know and it can be forthcoming !!!...yup I am doing ok and keeping well...I have my allotment to keep me busy,  so ..the days are getting longer now as well !

Keep up the good work..  Also just wondering about the Anson Museum beam engine ....are the motion straps upside down ??

Willy
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 04:53:13 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #573 on: December 21, 2020, 09:13:51 PM »
I think they may be, I am used to seeing the open part of the wedged bearing on the bottom. Though they will work either way!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #574 on: December 21, 2020, 11:21:29 PM »
Hi Willy, thanks for the offer but the job is now near finished - two pipes done then a bit of a set back  ::)

Cutting the third pipe using a new sharp scalpel I had the preformed pipe hanging over the edge of the bench whilst I rolled the blade to cut the surplus to length my left hand slightly below to catch the cut off pipe. Pressing down as you would the scalpel slipped off the bench and across the tip of my left hand index finger and deeply (and I do mean deep!) into the tip of the middle finger. Lot's and lots of the red stuff and subcutaneous tissue poking out, it really did need stitching but there was no way I was going to A and E at this time. Steri strips seems to have got a grip of it so fingers crossed. Funnily enough the much slighter cut across the tip of the index finger is the one producing the gip!  That old diving adage of always cut towards your mate obviously not paramount today  ::)

Anyway, after a short interlude it was back to the shed.

If Phil 'PG100' is reading this then this splash guard was done at approx 320-340 C (on my gauge - don't know how accurate that is) Test piece on the right part - the guard was in slightly longer, about 8 mins

The 2.4 diameter brass 'beading' was slit with a saw and loctited on

Just need to fit that tomorrow and finish those pipes then I'll take a last look at the timing before calling this done :)

Are the motion straps upside down? Well they may well be Willy but then there are so many variables in these engines they may not - they don't 'look' right though

Regards - Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #575 on: December 22, 2020, 09:43:28 PM »
Well guys, some of you may be pleased to hear that the lube system works as hoped for  :)

My anticipation that the steam oil viscosity would be an issue in those micro bores proved unfounded and within seconds of cracking the valve, steam oil slowly, but steadily, seeped from all four pipes disconnected at the outlet end - bingo!

With this established (and fitting those tiny olives and unions did prove a tad tedious) the train finally rolled into the station at about 6.30 this evening - Journeys end at last ::)

It's been another very enjoyable project if a bit less documented than the Wide a Wake but for those who have followed along I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have.

I shall have a real good clear up now before getting it into a better place for photographing and of course hopefully a video of it running but that will be a day or two as yet given the timing (of the year)!

In the meantime, not only is the engine finished but I went the extra mile and did you a personalised smiley - as some one I know well would have it - y'all have a good time ya hear  :cheers:

Regards to you all from the ol shid - Tug

Courtesy of a well misplaced scalpel - remember always cut toward your mate  :Lol:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #576 on: December 22, 2020, 10:35:49 PM »
Congratulations on a very fine build and thank you for taking us all along on the journey  :cheers:

You must be very pleased with the whole result - except for the finger, that could look better (something about the teeth)  :praise2:

Have a merry Christmas with Sue, Ramon - best wishes from here.

Per

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #577 on: December 22, 2020, 10:40:45 PM »
The oil delivery looks great Ramon. Sorry about your finger, but at least it looks happy during the recovery! Look forward to see the engine run video.   :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #578 on: December 22, 2020, 10:44:41 PM »
Well done that man............Looking forward to the video.

Thanks for the info regarding the bluing temperature by the way.

Phil

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #579 on: December 23, 2020, 01:06:33 AM »
Nice!
No not the finger but the oiling system is wonderful!

Dave

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #580 on: December 24, 2020, 10:02:16 PM »
Hi Per, cnr, Phil and Dave, thanks for looking in  :ThumbsUp: ( I guess the other 215  :o visitors since posting it must have been offended by my attempt to put a bit of humour in with that smilie  :lolb:)

As mentioned before I have been having really frustrating but very inconsistent computer problems. Pages either open slowly or simply not at all so I don't know if this is going to work. I have taken a video today after a final tweaking of the inlet valves to give a slightly longer opening. That has made a difference but not as much as hoped however it will now run on 25psi - still a bit high for my liking but much better than 60!

I have managed to get the video on you tube but don't seem to be having any success on here using the you tube insert - just a blank space in the preview where the you tube screen should be .... it won't even copy and paste the you tube link either

So - I can only say if you want to watch it putting RFW423 into the search bar in You Tube should get you there.

Given the issues I'm not even going to try to upload photos into my account - everything's going on hold until the new year and with us now going into tier four that may be some time before I can get this fixed or updated so I'm going offline until further notice

Have as good a Xmas as you can

That's it from tha ol shid for sometime

Ol Tug

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #581 on: December 24, 2020, 10:17:20 PM »
Found the video

It looks brilliant.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Dny03oKuA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Dny03oKuA</a>

Phil

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #582 on: December 24, 2020, 10:21:10 PM »
Absolutely stunning!!   :NotWorthy:

Offline gadabout

« Reply #583 on: December 24, 2020, 10:23:28 PM »
Ramon!!! What a masterpiece , absolutely  brilliant, mesmerising to watch!!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #584 on: December 24, 2020, 11:20:30 PM »
Beautiful job Ramon, like a Swiss watch. Merry Christmas!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal