Author Topic: Swarf - the making of  (Read 5826 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Swarf - the making of
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »
Hi guys - it seems such a long while since I sat down to post anything other than an odd reply. Truth to tell this year past since Sue retired has seen little modelling or workshop time - hell, we haven't even been sailing - at all!!! But, of recent weeks there has been some stirring in 'Ole Tugs' workshop and subsequently plenty of swarf as a result.

Now I think it would be fair to say that over time there has been many references on here about 'swarf manufacture' - I mean some do go on about it including myself in the past  ::) but speaking as I find I don't ever remember ever seeing the results of anyone's efforts in that direction to substantiate the claim.

So given that this emoticon is a regular feature at times

:pics:

I thought I'd put that right at last  ;D

Now this is some serious cast iron swarf generation - well it is in chez Tug  :o. Every bit lovingly created with a high degree of care and attention to detail it is the product from one project. Not a lot to show for it in that direction but I'm sure you'd agree some really excellent swarf - all destined for my hydrangeas  BTW (to keep them blue)

I even managed to create some in Bronze but found that far too expensive to continue so quantities are down in that direction I'm afraid.

Well I hope you like my swarf - it's taken a lot of effort to create and I hope you will appreciate it and also that fact that at last there's at least one of us who can prove what they say   :Lol:

Regards to you all guys  :Jester:

Ramon - (or 'Ole Tug' - whichever you prefer)

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Swarf - the making of
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »
Ramon you last photo is not showing up for me, just a no entry sign.

Not really that impressive I tend to need sacks to put my swarf into not little plastic bags :LittleDevil:

J

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:35:13 PM »
I have to sneak my swarf out a little bit at a time with the weekly garbage pickup. We are only allowed one bag per week and it has to weigh less than 40 pounds, so each garbage day sees it's little share.

Offline muddled engineer

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »
Hi Tug,

That is a lot of swaf for a Downham mini borer, but it is a very nice machine, like Jason the second picture is blocked.
BTW how are Jena's progressing?   :stickpoke: or should I not ask :embarassed:
Keep up the good work.

Eric :old: :stir:

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
Nice swarf, Ramon.  I've put that on my to-do list.  And I must say I envy the condition of your mill table.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 09:35:45 PM »
Strange, this morning at work both pictures showed up perfectly. Now at home on my laptop the second one doesn't show...tried on all three browsers too. Gotta love technology!!! :killcomputer:

Bill

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »
I have two pics. here OK

Linux & Firefox

Dave

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:59:20 AM »
Hi Ramon, glad to see you making more swarf after that wonderful Wide a Wake build.  It was fabulous.

I have been in the factories of some of the world famous compressor manufacturers, and they all say without exception that swarf is their biggest volume product, so you are in great company.  Of course, they have lines of large skips for storage.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »
The last time I took cast iron swarf to the scrappy it weighed in at just over 70kgs. A lot of swarf is when you need a small shovel to move it:

Andrew

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
Well guy’s , what can I say? Most of you seem to have missed the sodding plot! ::)

Obviously totally out of touch, I had misguidedly thought the text might convey my pleasure at being back in front of the lathe but then I should have guessed most never read the text just look at the pics - hence including the 'worthless without pics' emoticon so often used.

The clue however, if ever you actually needed one, was in the last emoticon  :Jester:- 'Jester' ie as in 'to jest'. You know, lighthearted – with humour - said with a smile and a tongue firmly in cheek - but no, it appears there’s more interest in fact that the image can or can’t be seen than accepting it as a bit of fun.

There’s Jason keen to out do it with talk of sacks of it and now Jadge keen to out do him with talk of probably needing a lorry to cart his away – boy haven’t you done well there Andrew – loads and loads of the bloody stuff. And to top it all, poor old Brian can only get rid of his by the handful. God knows what the three hundred odd other visitors in just over 24 hrs have thought – he must be losing it they say – pictures of swarf indeed, what bloody next ?.

No this wasn’t about how much has been made, after all that would be bragging in the extreme, but just the fact that it HAS  :) – something not done for over a year. I guess all those posts at the end of the Wide a Wake thread about staying in touch obviously have long been forgotten. :(

Now obviously when making swarf there’s usually a residue left on the bench and no one save dear old Eric, and MHJ and Rudy  appear to have given that a thought  ::)

Ooh! okay then, you lot bloody win – it’s my attempt at a Corliss!

Though I had previously made the base the work done has been accomplished since late August and yes that CI swarf was entirely from this engine - He's doing it again you say - talking about swarf again. OK - I'll bugger off

See you then - 'Ole Tug'

PS Eric - Jenas all drawn up still motivated to build them - just need to find the time, will ring you shortly.

Rudy, like me that table's getting on a bit but like any good soldier's kit it's well looked after  ;)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 03:48:43 PM »
Nothing like a Van Norman #12 to make chips........

5/8 Carbide, 2" wide cut....0.25 DOC....and open the umbrella...
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
Actually did pretty well for a 60 year old mill.....notice the mark up
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 04:30:27 PM »
Hi Ramon,

Welcome back to the workshop.

Nice looking Corliss and quite a good size, big enough to see the details.

Are those two 3.5cc ED hunters in the background.

I will be following this build, no sorry, swarf making, no sorry again, swarf bragging thread.

Mike

PS. I made some swarf today, but not enough to be proud of or photograph

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 04:59:47 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 08:01:24 PM »
good to see your back making swarf Ramon, thats more then iv made this year!

and i'm not likely to make anymore at all now the weather has turned cold, time to wrap up the machines i think
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:22 AM »
Morning Mike and Bertie, thanks for the welcome back  :)

I don't intend to talk about swarf ever again Mike  ::)

I do intend to pop a few pics up at a later stage but it won't be a build log I'm afraid due to the time involved and besides I don't there's the interest that was, given the few comments on Simon's Corliss Build.

Yes the engines are indeed ED Hunters - one's a friend's needing a new needle valve and the other, still in the original box and despite its dirty look, virtually new, was given to me by the same guy. It needs a real good clean and more importantly a good run  :)

There are plans for two 5cc versions - the crankcases have been made and material cut off for liners and shafts but lawd knows when I'll get round to the rest.

Bertie, you'll need to get yourself one of those oil filled radiators - I wouldn't be without mine but the 'shop does need to be well insulated.

It's been a long year in the doldrums guys - little if no motivation but it appears to have begun to fade.

Back soon - Ramon

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »
Sometimes a bit of time away is a good thing as you come back with renewed vigor. Good to see you back at it though I wonder if the real reason was Sue nagging you that the hydrangeas were looking a bit pink!

Hope to have a bit more CI swarf to show soon myself, just got to make the 670mm long 35mm dia between ctrs boring bar first :)

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 02:00:07 PM »

Bertie, you'll need to get yourself one of those oil filled radiators - I wouldn't be without mine but the 'shop does need to be well insulated.

i think id need two dozen of those oil filled rads to even make a start on heating this place. unfortunately its a huge wooden shed with absolutely no insulation or draught proofing, i did stp the roof leaking this year but really need to strip the external cladding and insulate the whole thing.
or maybe ill just knock it down and start again its not the most sturdy of constructions
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »
Ramon, good to see you back on a new project and seems like you are off to a fine start already.

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »
Jason, Bertie, Bill, thanks for the comments.

Yes it seems like a long time but it's been good to get back machining again.

Bertie - you've got your work cut out by the sound of things, I can't imagine not getting in my workshop over the winter - that's the best time  :) I do hope you get sorted soon

Jason, if that's the bar then it's going to be a big bore indeed  :o Look forwards to hearing about it in due course.

Now, I'm going to bring this thread to a close - I have just had a PM from Jadge who has taken offence. That was NOT my intent for as I said it was all done in a lighthearted manner - I guess I just shouldn't have said anything in the first place and just posted loads of pics of work in progress - possibly we have actually not quite got to being able to handle a bit of (my) humour it seems.

No - I'm not throwing my dummy out of the pram - just a realisation that this has gone the wrong way - I'll be back later with some pics of the Corliss when we'll all be a bit happier I hope.

Best regards to you all - sincerely

Just keep smiling  :)  :) :) - Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal