Author Topic: Colibri Hummingbird Dynamic Sculpture - WIP  (Read 43209 times)

Offline kvom

Re: Colibri Hummingbird Dynamic Sculpture - WIP
« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2022, 02:01:19 PM »
kvom, is that onyx material paintable?

yes

Offline kvom

« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2022, 10:27:57 PM »
After more dithering I've gotten back in the saddle on this rebuild, and have been slowly reassembling using the printed parts.  I print one extra part that was a composite of three aluminum parts screwed together for simplicity.  For those which are attached using the 1/16" pins, it's necessary to drill the holes with a 1/16" bit in order to get a moderate press fit.  The same applies to 1/4" holes that need to assemble onto 1/4" rod.  It seems that printed holes come out smaller than in the STL.  The Onyx material taps very well for the 8-32 and 2-56 fasteners.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2022, 11:49:43 PM »
Your post has just reminded me that I've got a box full of laser cut wooden parts for this beautiful bird sitting in the loft!
I might just retrieve it, when I've got time that is...
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline kvom

« Reply #198 on: January 01, 2023, 05:59:03 PM »
I assembled everything except the weight and the petals, and found that the main assembly tilts to the left, as the weight is partially supported by the lower large gear resting on its roller and their is some slack in all the parts through which the drive rod passes.  Inspection of the plans shows I omitted to include a brass bushing tube around the rod where it intersects with the main frame.  It's possible that this fix will correct the lean, but there is also some space between the entire main assembly and the support frames.

In the interim, I want to measure the needed counterweight.

Rather than a jar with BBs, a gallon jug with water is used.  Water weighs 8.3 lbs/gallon, so a half gallon (about what I have here) would be around 4 pounds.  The gearing all runs quite smoothing turning the shaft by hand using its gear.  I'll repeat after the leaning is corrected.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 06:49:40 PM by kvom »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #199 on: January 01, 2023, 07:01:30 PM »
Going to be flapping around the room soon. Very cool.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #200 on: January 02, 2023, 05:30:15 AM »
It will be fun to see it moving!  :popcorn:

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal