Author Topic: Strictly.... “ Hot Air “  (Read 74025 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Strictly.... “ Hot Air “
« Reply #285 on: October 26, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
They look good Andy.

The old one looks rather squashed  :o

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #286 on: October 26, 2018, 06:15:10 PM »
The old O ring is still pliant and serviceable but looks scorched where it has been in contact with the bottom of its groove in the hot pot.
Andy

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #287 on: October 26, 2018, 07:04:57 PM »
Hi Both.

So Jo, are we looking at a run this weekend? With just a simple part to finish, two holes, one tapped.
Nothing to seriously maim or injure??   :)

Andy, those " O " rings look great, just like mine did!!

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #288 on: October 26, 2018, 07:52:17 PM »
I also need to make the piston & some more fixings Graham and Saturday is gardening day  :noidea:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
I've turned down the end of the piston rod where it goes through the regenerator piston and added a washer to give it some support. The bottom has had a 3.2mm hole drilled in it and been beaten flat with a hammer. Overall the piston seems to hold together ok without soft soldering  :thinking:

Graham mentioned drilling 4 1/2" diameter holes in the regenerator, I don't have any suitable drills that size so I chose to drill six holes using a 10mm wood drill bit. To avoid getting cut fingers the loose lid was screwed onto the bottom of the tin for drilling :paranoia: These wood drills work well in thin material and happily cut one piece at a time

I have stuffed the inside of the piston with some wire wool for now, and it looks piston like, I am not sure if it really needs to be soldered together  :noidea:

Graham's drawings show the length of the mounting hole to the top of the regenerator as 63.5mm I decided to play it safe and do some measurements and yes it looks about right  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #290 on: October 28, 2018, 12:28:05 PM »
I did not solder mine but do have a machined recess in the edge of the piston that the lid is a good fit in which ensures the piston stays central so no risk of it rubbing on the sides of the base or cap.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #291 on: October 28, 2018, 02:01:59 PM »
Hi Jo.

To coin Baldrick.... I have a cunning plan.... I like it!!  No need to solder as the washer retains the top cover.

It makes for a little extra machining but it should work. My only reservation is that the edges need to be a close fit otherwise the outside diameter might just rock sideways.

Are we there yet?    :)

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #292 on: October 28, 2018, 04:02:59 PM »
Not this weekend I have had too many phone calls interrupting my workshop time  :ShakeHead: The worst offender phoned up numerous times to let me know that he did not buy me the set of castings he said he would try to buy for me but they went for a lot less than I was willing to pay  :rant: And to really annoy me he has brought another three sets of Stuart castings (6A, 600 and Sandhurst) for a song, this is the same supplier who has not made a single model engine for over 8 years >:(

As for the Robinson: I've drilled a few holes and started studding. But currently I have studs without any nuts, its not good if your studs have no nuts  :embarassed:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
I gave up on the string and made a couple of washers from Exhaust manifold gasket, you can tighten things down a lot more easily and get even pressure all around the o ring which keeps the top and bottom bores in line.

You can buy A4 size sheets online that come with both the metal faced and plain "paper" gaskets, paper is easy to cut.

Which casting set were you after?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2018, 04:29:46 PM »
I will give it a go... I do have the proper glue for it but the end will have to be dealt with  :thinking:

I wanted the Stuart Major Beam engine casting set and was willing to pay a lot more than they £200 they sold for. I would have even paid buyer's commission for them so he lost out on making a handsome profit :stickpoke:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #295 on: October 28, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
£200, someone went away very happy.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #296 on: October 28, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
It wasn't me  :hammerbash:

Jo

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #297 on: October 28, 2018, 06:08:19 PM »
I had no idea that the engine castings competition was so intense there! Has this been only for out-of-production castings?

:shrug: :shrug:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #298 on: October 29, 2018, 07:33:57 AM »
I had no idea that the engine castings competition was so intense there! Has this been only for out-of-production castings?

:noidea:

My supplier is a model engine collector who also likes dealing to fund his habit. Both the Stuart 6A and Major Beam are still available from Stuarts but they will cost you a four digit sum of money   :toilet_claw:

https://www.stuartmodels.com/item/61/stuart-major-beam-unmachined

https://www.stuartmodels.com/item/57/stuart-6a-unmachined

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #299 on: October 29, 2018, 07:41:06 AM »
I think the reason Jo is unhappy is that there was no intensity to the competition, if only one person is bidding the casting set will go for the starting price rather than two or more bidders competing which pushes the price up.

Next time you will have to get the mobility scooter dusted off and go yourself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal