Author Topic: Strictly.... “ Hot Air “  (Read 71626 times)

Offline ettingtonliam

Re: Strictly.... “ Hot Air “
« Reply #510 on: February 08, 2021, 03:42:34 PM »
The tall grey thing beyond is the peeler/chipper is it? Do we have any idea about its inner workings?

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #511 on: February 08, 2021, 04:31:15 PM »
Errm, no, but I could ask....

I'd like to think it's a chipper, judging by the outlet shute.

As our family enlarged the need for lots of peeled potatoes grew exponentially. We invested in a potato rumbler. 'Twas nothing more than a rotating bottom plate that had undulations and covered with a coarse abrasive. You filled it with potatoes and let cold running water through as the motor rotated the plate.
Care was needed as if forgotten the potatoes would literally vanish.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #512 on: February 08, 2021, 04:36:07 PM »
Yes I think that is just the chipper, the peeler is a somewhat larger undertaking
https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7440.msg166684.html#msg166684

You could just make a nice little water pump, I think the hot air engines were use don large country houses to pump water up into the storage tanks.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #513 on: February 08, 2021, 05:05:17 PM »
Thanks for the reminder Jason. :ThumbsUp:

I've just been in conversation with Geoff Challinor at the Anson engine museum. It is a potato chipper and slicer. But of much younger age than the engine.

Regarding colour scheme it was noted that Gardner would also paint to customers own requirements so your choice is now much wider.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #514 on: February 10, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »
Some photos from the Anson....

The " lineup "

Left to right, number 6 ( tank cooled ) number 5 ( water hopper serves as main bearing/crankshaft support )  and a selection of deep base number fours.

Works drawings of the number 4 Air Engine.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #515 on: February 10, 2021, 12:05:03 PM »
There's more....

Gardner works drawing of a modified Paraffin burner that was fitted to their multi cylinder Paraffin engines.

Closeup of the burner fitted to a Gardner engine.

Offline ettingtonliam

« Reply #516 on: February 10, 2021, 01:21:06 PM »
That drawing says the full size engine is 4 1/2" bore, 4" stroke. 'Ours' are half size, 2 1/4" bore, 1 1/2" stroke,which doesn't seem to correlate. Or did Gardiner have different sizes to Robinsons?

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #517 on: February 10, 2021, 02:05:14 PM »
Hello Richard.

This question has arisen several times in the past, without, I may add an explanation.

It's possible that our scale engine is a number 3 ( Gardner scheme ) or a Robinson but as yet there's no concrete evidence either way.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #518 on: February 10, 2021, 02:11:04 PM »
The " plot " thickens lol....

A " badge'd " Robinson from the Anson collection.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #519 on: February 10, 2021, 07:15:16 PM »
Recently obtained information.

Offline ettingtonliam

« Reply #520 on: February 12, 2021, 04:56:37 PM »
So what we've got is a half size model of a Gardiner 4B?

I know in practice this doesn't make the slightest difference, but before I :hammerbash: fix the crank disc to the shaft was there any preference regarding the alignment of the crankpin to the keyway in  the shaft, i.e. same side, opposite side or just as it happened to come?

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #521 on: February 13, 2021, 01:55:10 PM »
In essence, yes Richard but ours has got an 1/8" more stroke ....

I was going to suggest take a look at the drawing but I've discovered that the keyway isn't shown. :facepalm2:

I would suggest putting it in line with the crankpin. Are you going to keyway the crank disc too? The full size engines had a tapered key driven in hard and machined flush. We use Loctite....

Cheers Graham.

Offline ettingtonliam

« Reply #522 on: February 13, 2021, 07:15:44 PM »
Thanks Graham
I wasn't going to key the disc when you said you used Loctite, but didn't Jo have a Loctite failure on hers? I thought of Loctite, and a 1/8" round pin, half in the crank, half in the shaft, isn't that called a Scotch Key?

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #523 on: February 15, 2021, 12:03:10 PM »
Yes, a Scotch or Dutch key Richard.

I remember doing a commissioned restoration on a 1/2HP EEC gas engine. They had used Scotch keys to hold the flywheels to the crankshaft. One flywheel was either broken or missing so the other had to be removed to use as a pattern, I recall a most difficult task.

For the replacement I had to use a " dummy " shaft to get the hole drilled and then, very carefully ream the taper to match the original on the crankshaft. The method is very secure, if done properly but quite the expletive deleted when you need to remove one!

Cheers Graham.

Offline ettingtonliam

« Reply #524 on: February 15, 2021, 02:35:58 PM »
Ouch! I've never come across one using taper pins, plain parallel ones are usual. Once I thought I'd do the job properly and use threaded pins with a slotted end, so they could be removed easily when required. Wrong! The only way to get them out was to drill them out.
When I reamed the crank disc for this engine, I did it with a hand reamer in the tailstock chuck, so the shaft slid in nicely till it was about 3/16" short of coming right through. I used Locset, and a couple of thumps with my trusty copper hammer to bring the end of the shaft flush. I don't think thats going to move, so no need for Scotch or Dutch keys, I hope.
I'm just making the flywheel key now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal