Author Topic: Strictly.... “ Hot Air “  (Read 71722 times)

Offline Twizseven

Re: Strictly.... “ Hot Air “
« Reply #480 on: January 07, 2021, 11:57:01 PM »
Thank you. My wife will be pleased. She was whinging last night at 21:30 at the noise she could hear from the garage workshop.  The lathe was a bit noisy as I was doing the final clean up of the base.  She shouldn’t have gone to bed so early 😀

Colin

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #481 on: January 09, 2021, 09:50:17 PM »
All masked up today and painted.  Base and hotpot then cured in furnace for 1hr.  The other parts all went in the kitchen oven.  Paint said 1hr at 200degreesC.  Ran it up to 100 for hour then took out crankshaft and crankweb as these locktited together and also the bearing mount with oilite bushes.  Then upped to 200 for 1hr for the remainder.  Once all cool assembled it all.  Only one minor cock up.  I had drilled the hoes in the power cylinder 2BA and they should have been for 0BA.  So quick trip to the drill to open them up.

Then proof of the pudding, does it work.  Yay, it does.  :cartwheel: Not for long as was trying it on the kitchen gas cooker.  The small burner was quite not hot enough and the next size burner put flame everywhere.  Took a fair few spins.  Will have another go in morning when cooled and this time will fill the casting water jacket.

Hopefully it will loosen up a bit more as keep going.

Colin[youtube1]https://youtu.be/XXtCOF5K700[/youtube1]

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #482 on: January 10, 2021, 07:11:47 AM »
Just keep beating it with the spoon until it runs how you want ;)

Looking good now it's all together and a nice shade of blue :)

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #483 on: January 10, 2021, 07:54:53 AM »
nice built, runs easily too, beautiful engine...
You could maybe test copper scouring pad, probably much better as a heat exchanger.

with your heat source, you can watch if the milk does not overflow at the same time.

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #484 on: January 10, 2021, 01:52:32 PM »
Second proper run this morning.  Still on cooker burner.  Took about 15-20 spins before it started to run, but then kept going for 40 minutes till I stopped it.

Really pleased how quiet it is.  :cartwheel: :cartwheel:

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/JFWwwBYTHbY[/youtube1]

Colin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 01:56:07 PM by Twizseven »

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #485 on: January 10, 2021, 01:59:39 PM »
And yet another Robinson comes to life, well done Colin.

From the video you sent me this morning try checking the Gib head key in the flywheel. I have a feeling it's a little loose?

These engines can be a little pernickety initially but as the " high " spots wear they then settle and just improve with each run.

Zephyrin's comment is also quite valid as I've seen reference to the use of Copper in some of H Robinson's patents. But for the most part they used Iron " shavings " inside the displacer piston but over time they could rust and clog the action.

Looking forward to seeing your next video Colin.

Cheers Graham.

I see our posts crossed....

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #486 on: January 10, 2021, 02:05:35 PM »
Great stuff.... :ThumbsUp:

The tapping I could hear yesterday has gone completely, lovely....

What's coming next Colin?

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #487 on: January 10, 2021, 02:52:25 PM »
Now that is running nicely, even had to check my volume knob to see if it was turned down.

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #488 on: January 10, 2021, 03:18:53 PM »
Thanks Zephyrin, Graham and Jason.

I am really pleased at how silent it runs.  Whilst it was on the cooker how the metal of the hob was vibrating so put kitchen towel pads tp protect the hob surface and keep it a bit quieter.  Held it down with the wooden spoon but after the 40 minutes was getting bit cramp in hand so thats why I stopped it.

Need a proper wooden base and burner now, then can hopefully have a play at adjusting the governor.  When I manually closed the governor it stopped the engine but hopefully after a bit more running will be able to sort this.

Burner wise I guess the options are either camping gas type of burner or a ceramic burner.  What are the pros and cons of each type, if any.

Yesterday I was bought a 170gm Kingfisher Catch Shredded Crabmeat tin.  This one has significantly less draft that the one I am currently using.  Perhaps I will make another displacer and try Zephyrins idea of copper scouring pads.  Not that I have ever seen any, but then its not something I would normally go looking for.

What next says Graham?  Not sure to be honest.  Steam, Hot Air or I/C - I have castings for all three types sat in boxes.  Maybe the RLE.

Colin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 03:24:37 PM by Twizseven »

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #489 on: January 10, 2021, 03:55:57 PM »
Well....

We're currently playing with a little £9.99 inc P&P hikers stove, available from eBay. This has a short length of Stainless Steel braided hose to which is fitted the canister adapter and control knob.

What's great is that by undoing 2 screws you're left with just the burner which can be mounted into any enclosure you wish to make.

We've discovered that by a small adjustment of timing CHUK 3 will run beautifully on a very clean Blue flame and we're in the throes of making a rectangular head to fit the stove body.

As an aside, I believe Andy ( Chipmaster ) is using a ceramic burner for his Robinson engine.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #490 on: January 10, 2021, 04:27:34 PM »
As posted elsewhere the camping stove works on my smaller one when turned right down so would think it's OK for your larger one. You do need to make sure it can draw in air from the bottom so any wooden base will need to allow for that - just simple feet will do.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #491 on: January 15, 2021, 04:18:02 PM »
Colin, have a look at the video I just poste din this thread for an Idea of the speed I use to turn cast iron

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,10064.msg230889.html#msg230889

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #492 on: January 15, 2021, 04:47:14 PM »
Did your replacement piston casting arrive Colin?

Offline Admiral_dk

• Sψften - Denmark
« Reply #493 on: January 15, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »
I haven't got a clue about how I missed that you got it running and nicely too  :cheers:

Regarding the lack off noise from some Stirling Engines - just ask the US Navy about the incident where a Swedish Submarine 'sunk a US Carrier' during an exercise in the zeroes (2007 ?) .....  :mischief:

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #494 on: January 15, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »
Graham.
Yes piston did arrive. Many thanks.

Admiral_dk
Very pleased how quiet it is

Jason
Thanks will have a look later

I am just finishing of a wooden oak base for the engine. Hopefully done by end of day tomorrow then can hopefully get a much longer run.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal