Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573144 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #420 on: December 28, 2017, 12:27:25 AM »
Very nice work on the Yoke, Chris!

So, are you going to work your way down from the bucket, through the boom, to the base?
Kim
I keep changing my mind on that. At least the door will be made, then I'll decide whether to go front to back, down to the turntable. The crowd engine will be later, but may do the rest. Or, was thinking about making up the frame rails next.
Hmmm...

Will he or won't he? Tune in next week for the next episode of The Shop Elf Chronicles!!

:ROFL:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #421 on: December 28, 2017, 03:25:51 AM »
Look good Chris.  :ThumbsUp: You're a master metal carver!  :praise2:

If it keeps snowing up you're way you're going to need to put that shovel to work.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #422 on: December 28, 2017, 03:32:47 AM »
Look good Chris.  :ThumbsUp: You're a master metal carver!  :praise2:

If it keeps snowing up you're way you're going to need to put that shovel to work.

Jim
Thanks Jim! 

This week we have only gotten 5 or 6 inches of snow here, its just to the west along Lake Erie where they have gotten 5 FEET in two days! For us its the cold, down in single digits (F) all week,so I would rather be the boiler engineer than the guy up on the turntable this week!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #423 on: December 28, 2017, 09:01:43 AM »
Finally caught up on this build, you move so fast  :) Absolutely splendid machine and turtle  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #424 on: December 28, 2017, 06:47:03 PM »
Thanks Roger!

Back on the yoke clamps this morning, cut some bar stock long enough to get out both clamps, trimmed to width, and drilled the pivot pin holes.

Next up was to mill the slots for the yoke arms to fit into. The arms are wider than the pivot pins, so the slots had to end just shy of the center of the pivot holes:

Once the arms were a snug fit in the slots, moved over to the bench vise and filed the corners square so the arms would sit down in all the way. I would have done this on the mill, but the cutter was not long enough to reach all the way in from the ends.

and back over to the mill to drill the holes for the 1-72 cross bolts:

Next I needed to mill in the half-holes in the yoke arm ends - to get a firm hold on the arms, I used a smaller milling vise to hold the part, and clamped that vertically in the larger mill vise. Then used a 1/4" end mill to plunge cut the holes, lined up with the hole in the yoke clamp. Worked very nicely.

Here are the parts so far. Last step is to unbolt the yoke clamps, set them up on the rotary table, and mill the half-round in the ends, where it is just rough cut square now...

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:43:14 PM by crueby »

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #425 on: December 28, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »
Hi Chris,
I enjoy your love for the details.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:15:13 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #426 on: December 28, 2017, 09:05:01 PM »
That's coming along very quick, the fine detail looks great.

Mal

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #427 on: December 28, 2017, 09:54:33 PM »
Thanks guys!! Having fun with this one, learning some new techniques here and there.

One more operation this afternoon, set up the rotary table again with the same holder that I used earlier on the yoke brackets, and rounded over the ends of the clamp brackets. The rod steadying the parts is centered in the 4-jaw (did that on the lathe with a dial indicator) and the chuck is self-centered on the rotary table with the chuck adapter into the center hole of the table.

Here it is assembled again, with a 1/4" drawbar bolt to hold the yoke in place. Next step is to make the short pivot pins to hold it in place for real.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:43:23 PM by crueby »

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #428 on: December 28, 2017, 10:02:14 PM »
Great work Chris.

The bucket is a complete model in its own right  :popcorn:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #429 on: December 28, 2017, 10:53:51 PM »
Looking really great, Chris!

Kim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #430 on: December 29, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »
Oh Yum!!

:popcornsmall: :popcornsmall:

That is looking just great! Nice to have the ruler for size.

Better go see how the  :popcorn: growing, got a feeling that I'm going to need more.......LOTS more!!     :lolb:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #431 on: December 29, 2017, 01:46:45 PM »
Oh Yum!!

:popcornsmall: :popcornsmall:

That is looking just great! Nice to have the ruler for size.

Better go see how the  :popcorn: growing, got a feeling that I'm going to need more.......LOTS more!!     :lolb:

Cheers Kerrin
Better plant a couple of years worth!

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #432 on: December 29, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
Quick update on the side project, the RC submarine sea turtle - been working on making the molds from the wooden master forms the last couple of days. Here is the one for the top shell:

The orange is the silicone rubber mold itself, and the off-white surrounding it is the plastic mother-mold, which keeps the rubber in proper shape. Both are from Smooth-On, which supplies all sorts of molding products. The rubber is a two-part platinum-cure silicone rubber, can be recoated in an hour, cures in 6 hours, where the plastic is a fiber-filled two-part mix made specially for this use, it does not stick to the rubber so it can be pulled off the molded part, then the rubber section peeled away from any undercut areas. This is the first time I've tried this, so far so good. I have the molds for the bottom of the shell and the head/tail/flippers in process now. The shell and front of the head will be cast with fiberglass, the rest will be cast in another of thier rubber products, which starts as a milky color, but they have pigments you can add to the mix as well as paint on afterwards, so the flippers/tail/neck can all be articulated.

More to come as this progresses, now back to the metal shop for the Marion bucket!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:43:48 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #433 on: December 29, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »
And a bit of time on the Marion this morning, spent a couple minutes making the pivot pins (simple 1/4" dia rod trimmed to length), then another half hour filing the sides of the bucket and yoke to give it more clearance - I had forgotten to leave paint thickness room, so the parts would bind up once the yoke was painted. Thats all sorted out, here it is now:

um, well HERE it is - looks like PostImage has fallen into a snowdrift, new images are showing up blank at the moment, so I'll attach it till they get it dug out and dusted off:

Okay, they are back (maybe their server went out for lunch and got lost...)   :atcomputer:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:43:55 PM by crueby »

Online sco

« Reply #434 on: December 29, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »
That bucket looks MEAN Chris!

Still following and enjoying,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal