Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573957 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4485 on: August 30, 2019, 01:11:57 AM »
This has been an amazing build. As a beginner I cannot remember how many useful ideas that I have found by watching this brilliant build. I think others have said it better than I can but GREAT.....
              Here' a picture of opencast mining as I remember as a child.
Thank, glad you enjoyed it. Thats a monster shovel in those pictures!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4486 on: August 30, 2019, 01:12:51 AM »
I haven't been around much, but I dropped by to see the end of another impressive build. It is amazing , really, and most of the good words are already taken. I hope you are going to have a rest now, and sit back with the elves and watch Z do his Stanley Steamer!

Cheers
Hard part is getting the elves to stop hogging the couch!

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4487 on: August 30, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
Hi. Chris, I am another in line to congratulate you on this amazing achievement.  I check in every day that I have internet (there are many holes in the net despite appearances), mostly silently so as not to interrupt your work, and just occasionally a comment.

I am in awe of your ability and achievement in all aspects of the project, from research, field measurements of such a complex machine, planning the machining operations and successfully executing the plans on such small machines considering the size of the project.

Well done.  You can justifiably bask in the glory of your achievement, and take some time off for some of your other activities.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4488 on: August 30, 2019, 07:56:11 PM »
Okay - this afternoon got a chance to try some 'real' digging with the model. Went pretty well, used a pile of chick grit (used to give baby chicks some clean grit for their digestion process). The chick grit makes a great scale small stone, I use it for ballast stone on my G1 track. The pile needs to be bigger, it tends to shove out of the way too easily so not enough makes it into the bucket. I'll get some more and try again soon.

Anyway, here is a little compilation of some fun digging!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-mbGX5L00" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-mbGX5L00</a>
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4489 on: August 30, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »
Makes a pretty awesome Chick Grit scoop! :)    :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4490 on: August 30, 2019, 11:44:53 PM »
Makes a pretty awesome Chick Grit scoop! :)    :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Kim
Going to be tough to train the chickens to pull the levers at the proper time....  :Jester:

I think I'll also make a little 3-sided wall to help restrain the 'gravel', can pile some over the top of it so the wall doesn't show. That will help keep most of it off the floor.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #4491 on: August 31, 2019, 01:02:39 AM »
Build that wall! Build that wall!  Restrain that grit!  A little crowd action might help too.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4492 on: August 31, 2019, 01:39:31 AM »
Very nice!

Dave

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #4493 on: August 31, 2019, 05:45:32 PM »
Now you need a steam powered bulldozer!
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4494 on: August 31, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »
Now you need a steam powered bulldozer!
Gerald.

Did they have them? Have seen gas dozers, steam plowing engines, but a bull dozer?   :thinking:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4495 on: September 01, 2019, 12:13:03 AM »
Hi Chris, Liked the digging video!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I remember hearing a saying "you can't make chicken soup out of chicken grit" .... or something like that..... :Lol:

Re steam dozers I've not seen one in any book or in person. I did a quick Google on it and didn't find any either. However, as often happens in the way of things, someone somewhere in a remote workshop probably built one to solve a local problem, and a pic may surface. The Holt steam crawler or the Ruston Hornsby steam crawler both would have been good candidates for powering such a rig. Horse or ox drawn blades, the original bull dozers, were common according to Google. I have seen a few of these in museums in Ontario Canada. Same for earthmoving scrapers. Much smaller than their later gas-powered cousins, to suit the available 1 or 2 HP. Not sure why these ideas didn't catch on with steam power (unless they did in the remote workshops mentioned above). I have seen a pic of a steam roller pulling a conventional horse-drawn road grader in Judge Rhodes' roller book, so those fellows were on the track (so to speak) of a steam pulled blade. Neat topic!  :atcomputer:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4496 on: September 01, 2019, 01:41:58 AM »
When I was about nine years old, my dad decided that our house needed a basement. So--My dad and my uncle Fred jacked the house up off the "sleepers" it had been built on, and proceeded to dig. (Sleepers were very large pine logs, flattened on the top side and laid on the ground as a perimeter frame to provide a base on which to build your house. If you decided to make your house bigger as your family grew, you just laid more "sleepers" on the ground and built on top of them,) They worked fine, but after about 20 years, dampness in the ground would start to rot them. Dad and uncle Fred dug by hand until they had enough space under the house and two ramps dug, one on each side of the house. The key was to have a deep enough hole and ramps for a horse to walk under the house.  Mind you, we were still living in the house at the time, so it was pretty darned exciting to a nine year old boy. Uncle Fred had what was called a "horse scoop". It was about 3 or 4 feet wide, with two long handles facing backwards so the man walking behind the scoop (and the horse) could lift the handles and the front of the scoop would dig into the ground. The amount of dirt it dug up was controlled by the man. The horse would walk down the ramp from one side, the man would lift the handles, the front of the scoop would dig in, the man would then force the handles down, the scoop would pivot and lift with a load of dirt, and the horse would walk up the ramp on the other side of the house. The dirt would then be dumped somewhere, the man and horse and scoop would travel around the house and then repeat---and repeat---and repeat. Once the basement was judged to be deep enough, cement footings were formed and poured, and then proper cement block walls built up. Then the jacks were carefully let down, and the house sat on the block walls.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4497 on: September 01, 2019, 02:26:25 AM »
So that was a one-horse power bulldozer! Simple parts but sounds like it worked very well, and that arrangement would also clear the 'exhaust' at the same time.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #4498 on: September 01, 2019, 05:49:47 AM »
OK, gotta come up for air!

This shovel has to be the most magnificent model I've seen yet, anywhere. Because it functions!!! Brilliant. Congratulations on your accomplishment, Chris!

Oh, those horse drawn things were/are called "scrapers". The term is still used today on the modern large equipment. See what happens when you grow up with that stuff?

I'm going to miss my daily fix of Chris in the work shop. Wow, what a ride....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4499 on: September 01, 2019, 02:08:43 PM »
Thanks Pete!

BTW, looks like we got to the 300 page mark some of you mentioned!!  :cartwheel:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal