Author Topic: Bruce Macbeth Engine, European Version  (Read 78989 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: Bruce Macbeth Engine, European Version
« Reply #555 on: October 07, 2021, 05:19:30 PM »

Are you parting off with the tool upside down and the lathe in reverse?

Yes always.
Best results in all material and less stress for the lathe and operator.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #556 on: October 08, 2021, 07:56:40 AM »
Hi everybody, for me a smooth strategy was necessary now, to get all these things done for a free turning camshaft there.
With so much variables, for me it was not so easy to decide the right order.
First step was to split it. So my idea was to assemble the valve train first as a stand alone assy.
My earlier made jig, the dummy cylinder head, to keep all liners in the right position, was the best for it now.
It is an aluminium plate with the hole pattern of the engine.
The camshaft adjusted axial in the right position in accordance with the distributor rotor insider the cap in its ideal position was the base.
To keep it later there, if the engine is running, my idea was adjust the camshaft by 2 spacers between cylinder #2 and #3.
Shown in the first picture below. The brass disc is a dummy gear, to be aware of this all the time and to check for all necessary clearance.
I wanted to do the very best and added two of the shelf 0,2 mm steel shims between the spacers and the camshaft brackets.
The idea was not bad, but the engine didn´t really like it. It shows me directly a collision between the rocker arm and the shim.
So I had to make some new, 0,2 mm wider, spacer.
Next job was to define the exact position of each cam at the shaft. As always, I will make grooves for the grub screws.
The reference end for a proper measurement is not really in an ideal condition, but I have to live with it now.
I thought earlier, to cut it to the final length is always an easy issue and can be done later.
So a Cardbord Assisted Design was necessary to define it.
And the conventional way to mark it at the shaft.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 08:01:07 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #557 on: October 08, 2021, 09:20:51 PM »
Nice work  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:     Terry

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #558 on: October 08, 2021, 10:55:06 PM »
 :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #559 on: October 09, 2021, 07:49:27 AM »
Terry, Don thanks for popping in and friendly comments.

Next action with the camshaft was to make carefully the groves into the drill rod.
The dummy gear was used to check if the final deburring by a small stone was successfully.
Than an optical final check against my dummy set up and with all cam lobes in position.
Now it was time to attack the last remaining gear ratio from the upright shaft to the cam shaft.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #560 on: October 09, 2021, 12:06:08 PM »
Hi Achim,

Congratulations on your retirement.   

Good to see you working on the engine again.  Impressive work on that camshaft.  A lot of parts to fit in limited space.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #561 on: October 09, 2021, 12:29:44 PM »
Hi Achim,

Congratulations on your retirement.   

Good to see you working on the engine again.  Impressive work on that camshaft.  A lot of parts to fit in limited space.

MJM460

Thanks, for watching.
Space is indeed an issue there at this valve train.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #562 on: October 09, 2021, 01:19:49 PM »
Retirement is great when you have a hobby like this to keep busy with!
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #563 on: October 10, 2021, 12:51:10 PM »
Retirement is great when you have a hobby like this to keep busy with!

Hi George, 100% agreed.

One of the last functional things to adjust, there at the valve train, the bevel gears.
First the up right shaft had to be cut to the right length.

For position check of the small gear some washers are added to keep it temporally.

Looking at the situation in place at the second picture, I have been a bit surprised.
The angle of both  bevel gears engaged didn´t look as expected and the sound of the motion was strange too.
For a better check I took them out again.

Some head scratching and irritation was the result after holding them in my hand like in the picture.
The first idea was, to have a look in the file folder, because there I have kept all labels from the  wrapping.
The printed part numbers are right, the Boston catalog says, this are the numbers for a set of bevel gears with 18 and 36 teeth.

Looking more detailed to the small gear, I could see the part number stamped into it, it says G461Y.
After another detailed view, I recognized this as the part number of an 18 teeth miter gear.
There is only one place where a miter gear is used in this engine, that is at the lower end of the upright shaft.
I have bought all Boston gears for this engine in one lot some time ago.
So the upcoming question, did I have made a mistake and the wrong gear is soldered into the spur gear down there ?
To get it clear the lower gears has been disassembled and checked alone.
As seen in picture 33, everything fine.

Than I took the 36 teeth bevel gear for the cam shaft  and made the visual check like in the last picture #32, it did not match.

So it was clear now, lower ratio and gears are correct.
One is stamped with G461Y, 18 teeth miter gear, the other one, soldered into the spur gear is the same and this lower pair does match each other.

So the very easy conclusion now, everything fine, excepted the very last upper ratio.
Labels from packing are right, but one gear was wrong.

I have bought all Boston gears via Amazon so far, the easiest and cheapest way concerning freight cost also.
It was coming via U.K. for less than EUR 10. May be today after the Brexit history also.
Looking nearly one week dally into the Amazon offers, this only gear as a replacement was currently not available.
If have found an industrial dealer in the Netherlands, he  has offered me the missing miter gear, only as a bunch of two for nearly  EUR 150,00.
It was still possible to order by one of the known American dealers, with a similar result concerning cost.

A new conclusion was coming up my mind which means, Achim it is time to say good bye to imperial ratios and gears.
It was easy so far using the imperial stuff of the shelf, no modification of surrounding design was necessary.
But I have to realize also, that currently "global" means the same as much more difficulties for me as a simple Model Engine Maker.
An order in the U.K is a nightmare too in the meantime.

In my understanding it is a pity, that after years of coming closer together in this world, the things are developing opposite way now again.
But for this case I have found an easy solution with some metric bevel gears, available of the shelf from the German company Mädler.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 12:57:54 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #564 on: October 10, 2021, 05:04:44 PM »
Now with all the time on your hand with retirement you can start making your own gears. You know it time to start Achim your a skillful builder and making gears like George does is very simple.  :stickpoke: :stickpoke:. If you don’t have my gear spreadsheets PM me your email address and I will send them to you with the latest revisions.

Regards Don

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #565 on: October 10, 2021, 09:02:06 PM »
Aw - damn - that is quite annoying for you  :hammerbash:

How about https://www.amazon.de/ - they usually have the same things as the US and UK version - but NOT always ....

Best wishes   :cheers:

Per

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #566 on: October 11, 2021, 07:24:15 AM »
Aw - damn - that is quite annoying for you  :hammerbash:

How about https://www.amazon.de/ - they usually have the same things as the US and UK version - but NOT always ....

Best wishes   :cheers:

Per

Hi Per, thanks.
So fat I have never seen any Boston Gears at the German site. They have been available under .com only.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 09:45:35 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #567 on: October 11, 2021, 07:57:42 AM »
Now with all the time on your hand with retirement you can start making your own gears. You know it time to start Achim your a skillful builder and making gears like George does is very simple.  :stickpoke: :stickpoke: . If you don’t have my gear spreadsheets PM me your email address and I will send them to you with the latest revisions.

Regards Don

Thanks Don. Good to know that there are some latest revisions of the spreadsheets. My filed away of them was done in 2016.

In spring time this year, when I have played around with my 4th axis at the CNC mill, there was already the idea to use it for gear cutting also.
I thought the computer will make less counting mistakes if the gear will turned around.
So I have had a look in the net and I did found a way to do it with Fusion 360 also.
It have made the whole procedure virtually one time already.
It is not so easy to define the tool shape for the library, but there is logical way to do it.
Fusion has an add-in to create spur gears, so the shape is easy made.
Than copying this shape of one tooth and the remaining information of the gear cutting tool (disc, diameter, thickness ....) is necessary to create the virtual tool for the library.
Below a sample picture of the spur gear tool, not related to the shown gear.
And how it could look like if all dimensions of a cutter are available.
So far I do own none, so the shown is pure assumed fantasy, but may be close.
Everything put together in Fusion give me the possibility of an milling operation simulation already.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3693HfH8Ylg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3693HfH8Ylg</a>
So I am not so far away anymore, only thing my new spindle starts with min rpm of 3.000 u/min, if this will make it possible to cut brass in small steps ?
No idea so far. So may be a conventional good rotary table at the conventional mill and a well-rested operator is the other option.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #568 on: October 11, 2021, 08:20:21 AM »
As already mentioned in the last BME related posting, I have find a set of bevel gears with similar diameter, same ratio, made from brass and modul 0,5 at company Mädler of the shelf. A CAD model could be downloaded easily. The virtual fit at the engine could be made immediately and has shown two possible collisions.
One at the bracket may be in CAD only, because I know my real part is a bit different to the CAD model there.
The other one with the rocker should easy avoided by some machining at the gear flange.
Another thing with the shaft bore at the small gear has to solved also. I have used a 1/8" drill rod as up right shaft here and this does not really fit into a 4 mm hole. 
But Loctite 648 and some curing over night has given the right basic to make a new 1/8" bore.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #569 on: October 11, 2021, 11:21:42 PM »
Hi Achim

Firstly, congratulations on your retirement.

Secondly, I'm following your build.  Don't have any specific comments to make, but your build is quite interesting and I'm following along.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal