Author Topic: Tubes for Tig Filler Rods  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Joco

Tubes for Tig Filler Rods
« on: June 04, 2017, 12:10:57 PM »
I needed to make some tubes to hold TIG filler rod.  I had left over electrical ducting tube which is 32mm OD.  The problem with this is there is no standard plastic end caps for electrical ducting and its not a standard size for water pipe.  So how to solve it?  3D print my own end caps.

I also wanted to have a good way of mounting the tubes to the welding cart.  So I had a think and came up with a mounting frame that will hold the tubes and allow the frames to be clamped to the cart with some strong cable ties.

Pic #1 and Pic #2: Are renders of the two parts that have have been printed.

Pic #3: Is an over view of the final result with the end caps on the bottom of the tubes with the tubes mounted in the clamping frames and those frames cable tied to the cart.

Pic 4: Is a close up to a clamping frame.  You can see the black cable tie used to hold things to the cart.

Pic 5: Is a close up to the end caps which have been superglued to the ends of the tubes.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: Tubes for Tig Filler Rods
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »
Err .... 32mm is a standard waste-pipe size .....  :thinking:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p17804?searchstr=32mm%20waste%20pipe

Dave.

Ah! Maybe not in NZ ....  :embarassed:

Offline Joco

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:21:39 PM »
Err .... 32mm is a standard waste-pipe size .....  :thinking:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p17804?searchstr=32mm%20waste%20pipe

Dave.

Ah! Maybe not in NZ ....  :embarassed:

Yeah its all relative to where you live. I was in a hurry and not interetsed in driving all over the Wellington region to find a plumbing specialty store that might be open on a Sunday. So checked in mitre10 (big box store) which had water pipes of 20, 25, 30 and 40mm. Where as the electircal ducting was all 32mm.  So made my own.  Of course nothing was going to have the frame mounting bracket.

Cheers.   :cheers:
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:09:37 AM »
A little more printing and a "splitter" cap that allows me to separate the 1.6mm Mild Steel filler from the 1.6mm Stainless Steel filler.

This was done a while ago but needed a little dremel work to clean out stubborn support plastic and smooth out some nobbles from heat fluctuations.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal