Author Topic: Stuart Beam Engine in Diorama  (Read 112694 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Planning
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
Here we go with designing the walls around the engine. The foam board is far too high at this point (20 feet), but it sets the stage for planning the gallery and windows.

One problem that can occur when building a diorama around a model engine is not being able to service it if something goes wrong. How do you get to the engine?  :shrug:

The second photo shows plans to make the whole beam room detachable. Remove five bolts and the enigne is totally accessible.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Stuart Beam Engine in Diorama
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »
Your planning process is most interesting to see John. The time spent now with foam will no double save countless hours down the road as far as those " gee, I wish I had done it different moments."

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
Hi Bill.

I agree. You wouldn't know the number of times I've made alterations to this mock-up - even changed directions along the way.

The mock-up of the column and its beams allows the height of the gallery to be determined. It looks as though the gallery floor will be almost 8' above the main floor.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 01:49:09 AM »
Having a few pieces of the enigne underway already has made it so much easier to envision where this project is going.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 12:06:14 PM »
Wow John ... You'll have it running next week!!

Looking Good so far.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 01:18:24 PM »
Hi Tom,
Well, your work has made this prototype develop so quickly.  Things will come to a screeching halt when I begin working with the metal...

Designing the staris up to the gallery is underway. It wouldn't meet modern codes for width, but I  think maids and servants scuttled up closeted backstairs with bedwarmers and chamber pots on stairs much narrower than 36" back in the 1800's.  I don't think there would have been much differnce in industry. Access to the gallery could have been by a vertical ladder as shown in Jason's photo.

The stairs will have to break to a landing and turn 90 degrees half way up.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »
You may be able to save yourself having to do a landing if you go for steeper stairs, many were more like you would find on a ships engine room maybe 70degree slope unless you fancy a spiral ;)

I sent you a message earlier too

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 12:17:06 AM »
JL.... I remember in the early 1960's when machinery loft platform access was via near vertical step/ladders......yes with cast handrail uprights & cast segmented stair treads

These ladders would have been installed in the early 1900's and were for access to the top structure of vertical extrusion presses ....the extrusion presses were built for the forerunners of British Insulated Callender's Cables [BICC] & exported to their Australian subsidiary Companies

Derek

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Insulated_Callender%27s_Cables
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:57:38 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »
Looks like a very interesting project - I'll be following along!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Stairs
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 09:07:27 PM »
Good information Derek. Thanks.

Glad to have you aboard Rivergypsy!

The stairs design is almost complete. Many mistakes and missteps were made along the way. But as many have said, now is the time to make them and correct them.

One necessary modification is glaring. Can you see it? Look at the last picture. There is no support for the edge of the gallery floor above at the edge of the stair opening.
A post will have to be installed all the way up from the main floor. That means the engine and stairs have to be brough forward.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »
Can you not extend the post supporting the half landing up so it also picks up the end of the long trimmed joist that runs along the side of the beam opening? This would then support the trimming joist that runs parallel to the lower stair which would in turn support the trimmer joists that run from th eend of teh beam opening to the trimmer.

This is based on the main joist direction being inline with the engine although your boards suggest it goes the other way but that is an unknown span, where would the remaining wall be if it were included?

J

PS I hope you know your trimmed, trimming and trimmer joists from one another ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:46:23 AM by Jasonb »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »
Problem solved.  :)

A post now extends from the main floor to the gallery floor uninterrupted. It also supports the new landing. It is located out far enough to not interfere with the stair railings.

Jason, the answer to your question is in the photograph you posted in my thread. The two red columns seen there would support the beams coming forward from the back wall. The model is being sectioned back from those columns, but we will see the butt ends of them under the flooring and where their bricked plinths are located on the main floor below.

As I proceed with this protoype, I am beginning to realize that there is too much building in the diorama. It is starting to take away from where the focus should be  - on the engine. Therefore plans are changing. The back wall will be cut down significantly.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:24:43 AM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Brickwork
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
Determining how many bricks to order...

Offline Adam G

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2017, 04:06:06 PM »
Perhaps some of the building could be removed in the form of large windows? :naughty:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2017, 05:02:02 PM »
An elegant solution John, and more importantly one that should keep you from having to move the engine out as you had noted earlier.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal