Author Topic: Hoglet cylinder head - rocker arms  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Trevorc

Hoglet cylinder head - rocker arms
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
 I decided to cut the cooling fins after machining all of the inlet and outlet ports. It worked out well.
Have nearly completed all of the parts to finish the cylinder heads but have. reached a point where i am asking " is that right"
If all parts of cylinder head are made to drawing then in the rest position the rocker arms are canted up by about 10-15 degrees to top of head.  The 3D model of the engine contained with drawng set suggests that the rest position of rockers is more parallel with the head. This is also confirmed looking at some engines on You Tube.
Is there a drawing error in the length of the valve stem? I reckon they need to be 0.085 ins shorter to give a rest position more closer to parallel to top of cyl head.
Can anybody help with advice? Many thanks.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Hoglet cylinder head - rocker arms
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
This is a poor photo of mine with the valve closed, when valve is fully open it slopes the other way but not quite as much.

Made to drawing.

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:52:02 PM »
Thank you Jason. It is clear that i have put a far too large of a step on the toe of the rocker arm. The drawing shows the raised portion but dimensions are not 100% clear.
It looks like you have omitted this step. Is that correct or is it simply very small?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »
Looks like I put a slightly different shape onto the end of the rocker but the overall depth from top of rocker to bottom of toe is 0.125" as per drawing

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:35:59 PM »
That is my error!!
Thanks

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:53:34 PM »
From memory I think I had to tweak the rockers and valve push rods when I made mine.

Nick

Offline racinjason

• Bathurst N.S.W Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 07:21:33 AM »
My first engine had the rockers like yours so I made a thick washer to square things up then made the rocker perches 1mm longer for the next 2 engine's.
 Cheers Jason

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal