Engines > From Plans

Elmers Beam Engine x 3

(1/5) > >>

mnay:
After I modified my old Bridgeport type machine to CNC control I wanted a project that I could test it on.  I have built several engines, but have always been fascinated by a beam engine.  Elmer designed such simple elegant engines and his design seemed to be just what I wanted.  Of course I can not leave well enough alone, so I am scaling it up x 3 and will make a few changes to match my material and ideas.   
My first part to make was the flywheel

mnay:
Oops, how did that beam get in there.  I am working from memory and a stack of photos.  I guess it was the beam first, but I will get back to that.  I should have started the thread when I started the engine last year.
After cutting the flywheel shape out, I turned it in the lathe to true it up and shrunk  a brass ring on the OD  for appearance and weight.

mnay:
I then machined the eccentric blank on the lathe and then cut the eccentric on the cnc mill.  In the last post you can see it installed in the flywheel

b.lindsey:
Nice starts Mike. Based on my 1x scale one, your flywheel should be about 7.5" dia. That will b quite a good sized engine. The CNC sure did well on the flywheel spokes.   Keep it coming :)

Bill

mnay:
thanks Bill.
I don't have a lot of time for hobby, still working full time and wife, kids and grandkids, church etc,  but I feel like a lurker and that I need to contribute something to the forum.
I look at the forum every day during my lunchtime at work and learn so much from the group.  You have built some real neat machines.
Well, coffee break is over, better get back to work.
More to come.
Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version