Author Topic: ER32 Collet Tray in plastic  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Joco

Re: ER32 Collet Tray in plastic
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 11:05:34 PM »
I seem to have temporarily won my battle with my printer and managed to get a four collet tray printed.  This took FOREVER to print as I put the fill density at 30%.   :facepalm:

What an idiot, way more plastic than needed and way more print time than should have been necessary.   :slap:

However it workout pretty well and is SOLID. Some tweaks I did to account for extrusion variation and a better angle for the collet taper seems to have worked well resulting in a good fit.

See attached pic.   It's very ORANGE.  Not going to lose this tray in a hurry.   :Jester:

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 12:07:11 AM »
Hi James,
 Yep you won't loose that in a hurry......unless Bruce comes to visit  :stir:

Now I wonder if I can get a 3D past the financial controller......

Talked to a guy Xmas day & he had a Stainless Steel steering wheel printed for his sons peddle car, saw a picture of it, next time I'll have to check out the real thing!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline georgineer

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 12:33:15 AM »
Has anybody tried vacuum forming one?

George

Online wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 12:58:46 AM »
Nice holder James. For mine I used 2 outer layers and 10% fill. If I remember it took 2 1/2 hours, but it was larger. I'll find a pic tomorrow.

Edit In: I found the pic. This was the first use of PetG filament and you can see it was a bit stringy. I have since solved that problem and that filament works well now.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 01:08:44 AM by wagnmkr »
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 12:48:14 AM »
depending on the use a part I'm printing I use anything between 10% and 100%. For shed stuff that is going in drawers like your item I would use 10%. I have been looking at pattern making for aluminium casting and I think as its a one off with PLA I'll go for 5% which should hold ok and burn out ok as well. As my 3d drawing is crap and can't seem to grasp it I am going to print parts for a 3D scanner I found and try that. I bought the 2 lasers needed from China and just need the stepper motor and Arduino board to complete it but Xmas got in the way  :Lol:. I found the info on Thingiverse.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Joco

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
Pete - I'm running 15% now and pushing the print speeds up to the upper limit my machine can handle.   Hopefully some more trays to show in the next day or so.

J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Online wagnmkr

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »
As my 3d drawing is crap and can't seem to grasp it I am going to print parts for a 3D scanner I found and try that. I bought the 2 lasers needed from China and just need the stepper motor and Arduino board to complete it but Xmas got in the way  :Lol:. I found the info on Thingiverse.
Pete

I have the files for the Atlas and a couple of others and I am just deciding which one to have a go at. I have seen varying results though so my hopes are not too high at this point.

Tom

Offline Joco

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »
A couple more pics.   I'm still doing simple trays as they are designed to live inside drawers and as the drawers have a rubber lining I really don't need to link the blocks together as friction is more than enough to stop them moving about.

Pic #1: Shows the general concept in the drawer.

Pic #2: Shows a 6 collet version.

The plan is to have 2 lots of 4 blocks and 2 six blocks (in orange).  This gives me storage for the 20 metric collets I have.  The single "purple" 4 block will be used for a few imperial collets I plan to get.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 12:26:45 PM »
You could save yourself some material and printing time by hollowing out the underside, if you print them top side down there won't be any need for additional support.

Online wagnmkr

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
Hmmmmm ... why didn't I think of that? That's way too simple Jason, it couldn't possibly work :ROFL:

Tom

Offline Joco

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 08:55:21 PM »
You could save yourself some material and printing time by hollowing out the underside, if you print them top side down there won't be any need for additional support.

Absolutely correct, for a tray sitting in a draw my current design is material expensive. In this instance I have a bunch of filament that is 3-4 years old that I am trying to chew up.  Its brittle and has a tendency to break half way through a print (or already has broken on the spool that become apparent during a print)  forcing  a filament change operation to be performed part through the printing process.  Once I get into fresh stocks where this issue no longer plagues things then your hollowed out approach would be a very smart move.

Cheers,
James.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:07:07 AM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Imagineering

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »
Why not just ask Bruce or myself to carve one out of a nice tight grained piece of hardwood on one of the CNC machines?

Murray.

Online wagnmkr

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »
As my 3d drawing is crap and can't seem to grasp it I am going to print parts for a 3D scanner I found and try that. I bought the 2 lasers needed from China and just need the stepper motor and Arduino board to complete it but Xmas got in the way  :Lol:. I found the info on Thingiverse.
Pete

Pete, which scanner are you going to do?

Tom

Offline Joco

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 08:54:46 PM »
Why not just ask Bruce or myself to carve one out of a nice tight grained piece of hardwood on one of the CNC machines?

Murray.

Saving those favours up for stuff I really can't do myself.   :naughty:

And I had a tool looking for a problem.  :thinking:
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 04:33:12 AM »
Tom, my last post got lost in the ether so I'll try again. I'm tossing up between 3 but may try this one first.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal