Author Topic: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO  (Read 174217 times)

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
Re: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO
« Reply #1230 on: February 23, 2021, 08:18:44 PM »
Told him whiskey would help!!

Julian.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #1231 on: February 06, 2022, 11:17:15 AM »
Hi

Well its been a while hasn't it.

Conway is still sitting on the bench but sadly hasn't been touched for some time. She is 95% complete but has a few niggling teething problems. Julian now has a 20 meter length of track built so as soon as the weather improves a bit I shall get her round to his place and sort her out.

Similarly he has teething problems with his Simplex which will also be sorted out soon.

I have succumbed to this awful virus twice now which has knocked me back a bit but I am well and fit again so progress will be made soon I hope.

I have had some workshop time though tinkering with this and that and I have made a start on my second loco CHUB

Cheers

Rich

PS

I fancy having a go at a bell type whistle if anyone can point me in the direction of any plans that are available

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1232 on: February 06, 2022, 01:11:33 PM »
Good to see you here again Rich! Sorry to say I don't know of any bell whistle plans. Maybe LBSC did some years ago? I do have plans of a "deeper tone" one he published to give a less shrill sound than other small scale "peepers". It was intended for mounting between frames though.  :cheers:

PS some old Wilesco stationary models had a bell type whistle as I recall - if you can find one of them you could maybe duplicate it or scale it up. :shrug:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #1233 on: March 24, 2022, 06:25:52 PM »
Hi

I'm trying to sort out a few running issues with Conway. It takes quite a while to fire her up on coal then cool down again. Recently there has been some discussions over the coal problem, or lack of it so I decided to look into gas firing.

This is my first trial. Basically 2 cheapo camping stoves have been butchered and mounted into a stainless steel frame which sits into the fire box

I can get her up to the working pressure of 80 psi

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q3Nzj3L7GA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q3Nzj3L7GA</a>

Much cleaner and ideal for testing

Cheers

Rich

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #1234 on: March 24, 2022, 08:16:07 PM »
Looks to be running well  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1: The gas will be more controllable/consistent than coal. In do have to say that I am a fan of the real fuel for models so my IC engines will be expected to run on pump petrol or diesel with no additives, a challenge but hopefully possible  ::) if I made a steamer it would have to run on coal or wood.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #1235 on: March 24, 2022, 08:41:29 PM »
I quite agree Roger.

But coal for steaming is becoming scarce and will be difficult to get soon. For testing  gas is ideal, just turn it off. Plus there is no cleaning of the tubes afterwards.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1236 on: March 24, 2022, 10:34:13 PM »
That is very cool!  Very exciting to see it running on steam, Rich!

Kim

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1237 on: March 24, 2022, 10:35:52 PM »
Well it really worked out well this way - so I do not see any reason against (even if you from time to time do it as originally planned) - don't forget to enjoy  :cheers:

Per

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #1238 on: March 25, 2022, 08:01:37 AM »
Hi

The big attraction of running a model steam loco is to run it on coal as per the full size originals, but times are changing. Heres just one clip from the internet

The Llangollen Railway, which also has stations in Berwyn, Glyndyfrdwy and Carrog is holding 30 days of reserves of Russian coal delivered before the hostilities began in Ukraine.

Bosses have decided to make a stand against the war - despite the situation being seen as 'challenging.'

It comes as steam train attractions across the country consider their options, with the Severn Valley Railway in Bridgnorth currently deciding how best to conserve its stocks of coal.

Terry Pickthall, spokesman for Llangollen Railway, said that not using the Russian coal may mean a reduction in the number of services - with the cost of fuel also impacting diesel-based trains.

He said: "Further stocks of Russian steam coal are still available in the UK, but we do not feel it would be ethical to purchase any more given the horrific situation unfolding in Ukraine.

"The situation is very challenging. As well as coal supply, diesel prices are also vastly inflated, making operation of our diesel rail cars and diesel locomotives more expensive too.

As I said for trial running in the garden gas has its benefits. I still have more research and testing to do to make it a viable option.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #1239 on: April 21, 2022, 10:23:44 PM »
Hi

Well the sun shone today so Conway came out for another trial run

A new safety valve has been fitted and a few leaks sorted out.

https://youtube.com/shorts/RL_L4O0ZVMk?feature=share

I was careful not to over fill the boiler, a mistake I had been making on previous trial runs where a lot of hot water was being thrown out of the chimney when the regulator was opened.

Also when the loco was running the axle pump, which is very efficient, would quickly over fill the boiler again. Cracking the by pass valve open a touch to regulate the water input was the answer.

The coal I had been using was classified as pea size. Some of the lumps were quite big. I was advised to use smaller bean size pieces. I sieved the coal I had to get down to the smaller size.

Its quite a learning curve but I'm getting there. I was able to keep the loco at around 80 PSI by keeping a close eye on the water level, adjusting the by pass valve, adjusting the blower and keeping the fire stoked.

All in all a much better trial run.

A tiny fizz from the left hand clack and the top of the water gauge were easily fixed with a bit of thread seal.

The hand pump started to leak quite badly from the piston. A strip down of the pump revealed a badly worn O ring. I have some O rings which required the O ring groove to be re machined to accept the larger section O ring

The pump was fitted new to Conway and hasn't had a lot of use so I was a bit surprised to find it had worn out so quickly?

Cheers

Rich
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 10:31:38 PM by Firebird »

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1240 on: April 21, 2022, 11:42:42 PM »
Hi Rich

I don't know if it's only me - but I can't see the video .... did you remember to make it Public ?

Best wishes

Per

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1241 on: April 22, 2022, 04:59:55 AM »
Yeah, I can't see it either.... :(

Kim

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #1242 on: April 23, 2022, 12:56:46 PM »
Hi

Hmmmmmm very strange  :thinking: :headscratch:

Video plays ok on YouTube and is public. I'll upload it again later and try again

Cheers

Rich

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1243 on: April 23, 2022, 09:58:39 PM »
OK - just for testing - try to post the direct Youtube link as a homepage link and I will try that.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #1244 on: April 23, 2022, 11:29:41 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3oifZQ8Tn0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3oifZQ8Tn0</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal