Supporting > Vehicles & Models

CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO

(1/255) > >>

Firebird:
Hi

I have moved this from the plans section

I am embarking on my first steam loco build, Conway a 3 1/2" gauge 0-4-0 freelance. Originally published in Model Engineer magazine in the 1980's its a Martin Evans design.

I understand this forum doesn't do loco's so I'll gauge reaction and interest and seek guidance from the moderators before I continue.

It may be some of the members have built loco's in which case I would like to seek their advice on the (probably many) occasions I get stuck.

Let me know

Cheers

Rich

b.lindsey:
Rich, you have found the right place for the build log. Though I am personally not involved in loco construction, I always enjoy seeing the work of others on locos and will look forward to your progress!

Bill

Firebird:
Hi

I'll post the first bit in some detail, let me know if thats how you want it or just a condensed version.

The boiler tube is 4" OD with a 13 SWG wall thickness (2.5mm or 3/32") and is about 3/4" over long at the moment. To trim the ends square and cut to length requires a bit of woodwork.

Screw a scrap of wood, about 1" thick, to a face plate. I use large self tapping screws.

Screw another bit of wood to it

Turn them down so the first piece is a circle and the second piece has a shoulder. Drill through 10mm

The tube must be a good snug fit on the wood

Fix 4 plastic blocks to the wood, they are used in furniture building. They take a 5mm screw without tapping

Glue in a length of 10mm threaded rod that has been centre drilled each end. Run on a nut and washer then push in the wood plug and fit another nut and washer. Tail stock support is now possible

Nip up the screws with some protective packing

Very carefully and slowly the ends can be trimmed square and the excess parted off

Cheers

Rich

crueby:
I like your solution for holding the boiler tube for trimming - I have a boiler coming up on my project, have to make a simaler trim cut and will have to remember this one. One I did in the past, I flattened the end on a disc sander, was not happy with the results, this should work better. Thanks!

b.lindsey:
Nice setup and pictures too Rich. Trimming tubing that far out from the chuck can be a challenge but your setup looks both safe and effective. Thanks for sharing it.

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version