Author Topic: Another Kerzel  (Read 8654 times)

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
Another Kerzel
« on: December 16, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »
Well, I've finally started cutting metal for my Kerzel that I started planning 6 years ago!

I got most of the way through 3D modeling and converting to metric, but then life got in the way; a new job (been there 5 years now and have somehow survived two rounds of redundancies :shrug:) and as of three years ago, a new family :o

Now that the young'n can actually entertain himself for a while and doesn't need constant attention, and also because I'm tired of armchair modeling, I've been trying every day to get some time in the workshop no matter how short.

So, here is my attempt at a build log. As far as taking photo's goes, well it's something I'm going to have to get used to. I have a few here, but will try for more as I go along.

The last couple of weeks have got me this far, the base and body are done, save for a few small details that still need to be converted to metric (cam slide bearing and push rod bearing)
Simon

"The reality is that without cheap imported machines, I would be spending my time doing something less creative and less enjoyable" - Captain Jerry

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
Re: Another Kerzel
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:48:48 PM »
The chunk of Ali I used for the body was 50mm wide, but the body is only 38mm wide so some time on the bandsaw left me with this offcut that was just the right size for the bearing blocks.
Here I've penciled in rough outline to check that the notch isn't a problem, and the blocks after squaring up and selecting the best faces.
Simon

"The reality is that without cheap imported machines, I would be spending my time doing something less creative and less enjoyable" - Captain Jerry

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 06:17:33 PM »
I keep getting "500 Internal Server Error" when posting, and "Session timeout" over and over and over... :shrug:
Got more to post but too frustrated to continue right now.
Maybe tomorrow.
Simon

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 06:36:42 PM »
I get the internal error a lot if I make the images too large, have found that sizing them to a max width or height of 700 or 800 pixels works better with the forum software. With the Session Timeout, just hitting the Post button again and it will usually go through - fortunately it keeps the post contents intact on that one. I have gotten in the habit of copying the text before hitting post, just in case. Hopefully they will get the software fixed soon, they are working on it.

And yes, got the timeout on that post...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 09:58:22 PM »
Sorry about the frustration level, but that is a nice start on the Kerzel. Will look forward to the remaining pictures.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:08:25 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 02:54:36 AM »
I get the internal error a lot if I make the images too large...

Thanks crueby, all the images are the same size (pixels) but perhaps it is the filesize (bytes) that is the issue even though I'm not anywhere near the forum limit(10 meg for 8 files, generous!).
I'll try resizing anyway.
Simon

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 02:57:35 AM »
Sorry about the frustration level, but that is a nice start on the Kerzel. Will look forward to the remaining pictures.

Bill

Cheers Bill, it was late when posting and I was tired, so patience was pre-thinned.
A new day and a couple of morning espresso's and I'm ready for anything...
Simon

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 03:00:01 AM »
The efforts from yesterday and the day before... two holes.
One hole per day.
Better than nothing I guess  ::)
Simon

Offline kvom

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 03:25:39 PM »
The writer Marcel Proust was famous for reporting that one day he inserted a comma, and the next day removed it.  He still managed to write some very long books.  If you had drilled one hole and then plugged it the next day you'd be in a similar situation.  As is is you've made considerable progress.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 03:55:16 PM »
I could have done the next step in the lathe, but I would then have needed to freehand grind a round nose tool, and I suck at grinding tools.
I have a good set of ball nose milling cutters so decided that would be the best way forward.
The lathe still got used though, as I need a fixture for the rotary table to hold the bearing blocks.
Simon

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 04:10:38 PM »
From now on, I'm no longer using my camera in auto mode, it sucks.
All photo's below are manual mode, so much better.

Next job to do was to cut the angle on the backside of the bearing blocks.
This angle isn't critical, but more aesthetically pleasing if both sides are the same :D

I slid both bearings blocks onto some precision ground 12mm rod and used a small drop of superglue to hold the left and right sides to each other.

The rod was then rested on the jaws of the vice and the lot rotated until close to the needed angle.
I then used one of my 10-20-40 blocks, packed up with a 0.25mm feeler gauge to centre height of the rod so I could eyeball along the top edge of the 10-20-40 block and tweak the angle.
Once happy the vice was nipped-up, heighth set off the rod, rod then lid out and I started cutting.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:14:24 PM by /// »
Simon

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 04:24:29 PM »
Last operation for the bearing blocks (for now) was tapping and then checking for fit.
The fit was near perfect, the 12mm rod just dropped into place and there are zero gaps, check that fit in the close-up, same on both sides. Gotta be happy with that :)

Moving onwards and upwards, the bearing caps.
I found a bit of scrap mystery Ali, dressed and squared it up, picked the best faces as reference surfaces for subsequent work and decided it was beer o'clock.
Will try to get some more done tomorrow, but got a christmas lunch with the inlaws. :mad:
Simon

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »
Before I start work on the bearing caps, I have a decision to make, 8mm or 7mm?

Rather than using cap head bolts, I'll be using studs and nuts, just looks nicer and isn't much extra work, well worth the time.

Problem is, the nut will be difficult to do up.
I much prefer the 7mm counterbore (on the right), but I'll never get a socket in there.
If I go with 8mm counterbore (left side) then I can probably chuck a socket in the lathe and turn it down to fit.... but the 7 looks so much better.

What to do, what to do... sleep on it.
Simon

Offline kvom

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »
Modify the arch of the cap to make the flats longer.  Then a small open end wrench can be used to tighten.

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 07:45:46 PM »
Hi Simon

Looking good -  :popcorn:

Would you be willing to share the metric plans?

Cheers

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal