Author Topic: Scaled down Popcorn  (Read 61184 times)

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
Re: Scaled down Popcorn
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »
It's coming along nicely Arnold

You're getting me more interested in these engines. I was checking out the popcorn engine in the strangers on a train movie

Here's a couple of still shots from it

:cheers:
Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »
If any one wants a copy of the plans just PM me with your email adress.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »
Nice work, Arnold.  Steam engines still continue to hold a fascination for me.  Going on vacation for a couple of weeks but will try to drop in and see how you're doing.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »
Nice pictures Steve.  A related questions out of curiosity...I am assuming that the popcorn popperwas heated by electricity.  Was the boiler for the engine also heated electricially?  I can see what appears to be a pressure gage near the engine.

Bill

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »
Thanks Steve  :) , and thanks for the pictures  :NotWorthy:

Thanks for checking in Stew - I'm pretty sure you'll get more requests, as it's a great looking engine when done.

Chuck, thanks  :) - I hope you have a great holiday  :ThumbsUp: - are you going to check out the fall scenery ?

Hi Bill  :) - thanks for the questions!  I think they most likely used gas (LPG) for both frying the popcorn and heating the boiler, as the wagons were designed to be mobile and go wherever they could make some money.  Electricity outlets might have been scarce to find back in the day. 
It would be really nice to know what boilers were typically used in these popcorn wagons - if anybody knows, please do tell  :ThumbsUp:

I managed a bit after work today.

The mounting holes for the bearing blocks were drilled first; this should have been done earlier already, but I somehow skipped it:

Then I thinned down the feet on the columns to the required size.  The vise stop was used so that I could change the workpieces easily.  I dialled in the full Z depth of cut and locked the spindle height there.  As the workpieces were standing out quite a bit above the vise (due to the limited selection of parallels I have), I selected a nice new sharp 4mm end mill to do the cutting, and took the cuts gently by feeding in on the X axis with just 0.2mm per cut:

Trying to figure out some form of setup to try and machine the outer curves on the column feet was a bit daunting, so I turned up an off-cut bit of printer shafting with a 10mm boss to fit the cut-outs at the bottom of the bearing columns, and a 14mm step to match the curve I needed.  Then I just bolted the two columns together, and used the turned up bit to scribe some lines on both sides of the feet:

and

Off to the bench vise, and a bit of "character building" as Jim would say.  There wasn't all that much material to file away:

I do this type of "filing to the line" in pairs if possible - it makes it easier to judge how I'm going.  I also stop a couple of times and change the workpieces around so that the sides that were on the outside meets up on the inside.  If there was any rocking while filing, it shows up on these changes - and it also evens out any faceting a lot better.

The bits are slowly starting to look like the picture  :) (click-able images so you can enjoy the gory bits as well):

I'm wondering...  Does anybody find the click-able images useful, and is there any interest in seeing more of them used ? - the reason I'm asking is that I host my images from my own web site and have some software customizations on the web server that makes posting images easy in the forums I frequent.  For now, the click-able images takes a bit of extra work to add while I'm posting, but if there's interest, I can change things so that all the images I post work that way.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »
This link should answer most of the ?

http://www.wyandotpopcornmus.com/cretors_history.html

I hope Arnold doesn't mind but I thought I'd post a pic of my finished engine.

Stew

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:34 PM »
Wow. I'm out a couple of days and could only check in once in a great while. Missed all of this. But I'm not surprised at the progress. Nice work!

I miss the good thunderstorms we had in the midwest. I sure don't miss the tornados though.

Nice link Stew. I found many of the links there did not work but if you try the 'Main' under Related Links I think the same stuff will show up. Fascinating. Nice engine too! I think one of these is on my 'someday' list.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »
Love the photos Arnold, your engine is starting to take shape and now has me more interested in seeing it through. I had forgot about Stew engine built. This is one engine I do want to build for sure.

Don

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 10:56:01 PM »
Thanks Stew  :ThumbsUp: - no worries about posting your engine at all mate :) - and many thanks for the link! My guess about them using gas for the burners was obviously wrong - I should have guessed they would have used something like naphtha back then.

Carl, thanks for checking in  :) - things were a bit slow actually... I got caught up in a bit of work, but at least it was on very interesting projects.  No Tornados here - not even Fords or Oldsmobile Toronados  ::) - right boring innit  :Lol:

Thanks Don  :) - I'm really enjoying the build  :ThumbsUp: - It's all Stew's "fault"  ;D .

8) - I had a nice shop session today - so this will be quite a lengthy update...

The bearing columns had quite a bit of excess stock left on them, so I crudely hacked off some of that of it with a junior hacksaw:

Rather than faff around setting up a rounding-over jig on the rotary table, I just used a 6mm drill bit to mill the curves to approximate dimensions - there's no real need for accuracy here and it's just quicker for me to do it this way:

The cylinder end bearing block needed some additional work for the cross-head mounting; I just used a small square to set it up in the vise to mill to the line:

Milled to width, and to length on the top:

After a minute or fifteen spent with files and a bit of emery, the two bearing columns turned out OK  There's still some fine blemishes left on them, but that will disappear (hopefully) when I paint them:

So far, the engine bits looks OK on paper (remember that I said that the "on paper" size inspired this build), and the bit of rod above the bits is a bit of 18mm printer shafting for the next bit to come:

With a suitable section of the printer shaft chucked up, I turned the OD down to 17.4mm to match the OD on the inboard cylinder head, and faced the end off:

This shafting comes from a C.Itoh 5000 printer - it is a bit soft to make tooling from, but machines absolutely fantastically.  As it is used as the main head traverse shaft in combination with bronze bushes on those printers, it is also ideal for use as a cross-head guide with a bronze or brass cross-head  ;) .

The end was then center drilled, and then peck-drilled about 90mm deep with an 8mm drill.  The peck-drilling (about 2mm at a time with the 8mm drill) helps to keep the hole true to the lathe center axis, and as this shafting is very uniform without hard spots that could cause deflection, the hole came out very nicely indeed.  After the 8mm hole, I followed through with a 9.8mm drill, and then reamed it out to 10mm:

Next, the hole was drilled out to 13mm diameter, 18mm deep, and then a section bored out to 16mm x 2.5mm deep to be a snug fit on the boss on the inboard cylinder head:

Important: I was working quite a bit away from the chuck here - about 80mm (3 1/8")away on 18mm (just under 3/4") rod.  This is a lot for an unsupported workpiece, especially with a hole down the center.  The rules for me for doing this successfully are good quality and easily machinable stock, a super-sharp honed cutting tool, and fine cuts and feeds.  I was confident in all these regards to turn that end section - if I had any doubts at all, I'd rather have broken out the fixed steady and added that for support.

A bit more work on the exterior - turned down to 15.5mm OD as close to the chuck as I felt comfortable with:

The bit in the bore where I just drilled out to 13mm looked like crap, and after more machining that would be visible (clicky-photo):

So I bored it out a bit to smooth the inside, as that would be visible once the engine is done.  Crappy photo as I didn't get a nice angle to show the bore:

It's a lot smoother though  :)

OK- post-break - to be continued...

Arnold

Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 12:26:53 AM »

Continuing....

Off to the mill, and with the dividing head set up for a bit of milling:

I milled out material with a 14mm mill:

Then drilled a 2.5mm hole to be tapped M3 for a lubricator:

Working closer to the chuck, I used a 20mm cutter to mill away more excess stock:

Finally, I switched to a smaller cutter and milled away some more metal:

After a bit of filing to finish contours, shop ended today with this:

and

and

:DrinkPint: , Arnold  ;D

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 12:46:42 AM »
Very nice Arnold

You really earned that beer at the end!

:cheers:
Steve

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 01:25:48 AM »
I'm with Steve with that one.
Looks great.

Question: Why the 20mm cutter and then the smaller? Why not just the smaller? What determined using the smaller? I'm supposing the needed radius.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 02:23:47 AM »
Shifting chips at great rates Arnold.....Looks great!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 07:20:31 AM »
Cracking job with that trunk Arnold I like how you added a bush so that you could support it with the centre to mill it out  :ThumbsUp:

Stew

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 07:47:02 AM »
You made that look easy.  :NotWorthy:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal