Author Topic: Scaled down Popcorn  (Read 61350 times)

Offline ReFlad

Re: Scaled down Popcorn
« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2012, 06:23:38 PM »
Very VERY nice Arnold.  It looks as if your hands are huge!  Are you a Giant?

Great work!

Ronald

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2012, 06:28:19 PM »

Jo, Carl, OK - I'll capitulate.  I've been trying to find a local engraver that would be willing to make me name plates....

My options are:  Study up and try Graving.  Build a 3D engraving pantograph.  Knock up a small CNC router/milling machine.

That leaves a pantograph...

Does anybody have any suggestions around this ?

All I could suggest is this:

I still have not yet christened it.....it could be an opportunity to make myself look a bigger fool than I have thus far trying  :Jester:.

:o Why a 3D pantograph?

Jo
-------
Edit: Slight fib a second suggestion I normally lend this one out to people who want to learn how to use one:

But I think that you are a little far away to come and borrow it ;).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:42:36 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »
Very VERY nice Arnold.  It looks as if your hands are huge!  Are you a Giant?

Yes, they are all giants over there in Narn... ... Nambia! Nice work Arnold!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2012, 12:04:21 AM »
Hm. Now you have me thinking too. Someday I'd like to make an engine worthy of a nameplate.

Just blue-sky here...I used to be in robotics. Maybe an X-Y stepper motor driven thingie. Couple of PC controlled steppers, a few plates, and Bob's Your Uncle. Nah. That means electronics and software. I'm trying to get away from that.  :Lol:

How about etching? You can get kits to make small parts and eat away what you don't want. Then put it on top of a solid. Nah. I have no idea about that one.

You'll figure it out. You must. It deserves a nameplate. And your next project will too. And the next one. And the next one.

And someday you'll send one to me and I can display it. And tell people who 'Arnold' is. And give it to the grandkids who'll pass it on to their kids.

Hey. It can happen.  ;D

I got lots of real-life stories that could happen.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2012, 12:12:27 AM »
I have a few sheets on this - might be a start.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2012, 12:34:06 AM »
Arnold, send me a cad drawing with size and lettering and I will get it engraved for you. I usually get it made of brass. The plate is color blue or ruby red, when engraved it has brass lettering. Or it can be made of plastic that looks like brass with dark letters. PM me if you want it.

Don

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2012, 12:37:12 AM »
That looks absolutely marvelous Arnold, well done indeed. The color scheme is spot on and easily sets off the attention to detail quite well. Now then. Carl is on :stir: onto something ........*ahem*... about using photochemical methods in producing a nameplate. Probably the most difficult part about it would be finding a photo place that would produce the proper negative/positive film for the mask. However, I understand that new modern appliques have been developed that can be burnished onto the substrate metal and act as the etchant-resist layer. My lab instructor in college at that time always said "what finer tools are available but liquid and light" referring to the details that could be produced using them.  OR maybe getting the plate silk-screened by someplace local. Just ramblings from off the top of my head but maybe something to consider.

Anyway, I know that you will get it figured out in due time and it will do that little jewel justice

BC1
Jim

Offline jonesie

« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2012, 03:50:43 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:  nice build arnold nice runner and paint job. now i need to get at and paint mine,thanks for sharing and a great job.  jonesie

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »
I have a few sheets on this - might be a start.

That looks identical to the one I built a number of years ago from plans in one of the hobby mags.  It used a Dremel as the cutting agent and Rapidograph templates (remember those) as the patterns for the letters.  It worked fine and I had grand plans to make plates for all my models.

After making maybe two plates, I admitted to myself that the painful tedium just wasn't worth it, put the thing away, and haven't used it since.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Inky Engines

• NE Derbyshire, UK
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »
Arnold

There is nothing much I can add to the accolades above.  I really like the flywheel, and the size - it could be one of Elmer's! 

Thank you for documenting the build.  Was this not eventually hoped to be part of a live steam plant?

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines.

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »
If any of you Guys want a copy of the drawings for the popcorn engine, just drop me a PM with your email adress.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
Fantastic Arnold  :pinkelephant:,  well done, it runs amazingly well.

Stew, I'll have a copy of the drawings if you don't mind ... can't promise anything fast but it would be nice to make an engine to a friend's design!

I have just won a potential 'house lathe' (Jo's fault for talking about them)off the ebay ... waiting for it arrive today but won't say too much yet incase it's a parcel of sh*te so to speak! If it's any good I'll have to get looking for a house mill to compliment it! May give me more motivation to get bits done in the winter months!

Nick

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2012, 03:48:12 PM »
My apologies for a belated reply everyone.

Thanks Ronald - no giant; just a regular 6' on the dot  :)

Jo, SIGH...  You lucky girl. Two of the things...  I have spent many an hour behind the controls of a pantograph carving out labeling plates for electrical switchgear as an electronics engineering apprentice in the early 90's. The only thing I ever did on that pantograph except for making labels was to carve out a mate of mine's name in a pocket knife I gave him for his 21'st birthday.  I tested on my own identical pocket knife first; fortunately:

As you can see, I got the initial depth of cut wrong - the "A" is much too deep, but fortunately after the tests I could get my mate's spot-on.  Excuse the ravages of time on the knife; my dad gave it to me on my 17th birthday, and it's in constant everyday use - I never go anywhere without it.  My mate's is still in absolute mint condition though - he refuses to use it  ::) .  It's still in it's original box!
Hmmm... I'd like to come on a shop visit sometime.  It might still happen; I had everything planned out to get to the Harrogate show this year with about two weeks to spend in the UK.  A very sudden and unexpected job change put paid to that, and next year is most likely out as well.  I have my sights set on 2014 for a UK visit though :)
Why 3D - well, more like pseudo 3D, but it can be a great help in adding detail to bits of engine. And carving out spokes on Gauge 0  train wheels. Not to mention engraving numbers on feed-screw hand-wheels for machines.  Many possibilities, but then, I'm slightly mad  :Jester:

Thanks Tel, and thank you - I have the plans for that one mate  :ThumbsUp: .  I'll see where/how things go  ;)

Carl:
Someday I'd like to make an engine worthy of a nameplate.
You have done.  Everybody's engines are worth it.  Especially the first ones - they tell a story and show one's progress; it's not often one can take a couple of "things" and line them up and visibly see the results of one's own improvement.
You'll just have to come on a visit to collect your example  ;) - Oh, and that Arnold guy is nobody special; he's just a bloke having a bit of fun.
The stepper thingie is still a very real possibility...  I have a LOT of stepper and DC servo motors lying around from old dot matrix printers.  The electronics bit don't phase me at all; it's nothing complicated to cobble together.  And with EMC2 it's very easy to get things going with very little (if any) programming involved.  I had an old PC going with Ubuntu and EMC2 on it - unfortunately the PC's motherboard conked out  :(.  I actually enjoy "real-time" programming for hardware interfacing; it's a nice challenge.  Although today's operating systems take the fun out of it; in the good old DOS days one could peek and poke (or INP and OUTP) at will.  In fact, an old but serviceable dot matrix printer could make a great start to a crude engraving machine with a bit of "mechanical re-arranging" - and good old-fashioned ASCII control codes to drive it :lolb:

Don, thanks for the offer   :praise2: - I'd like to sort this out myself though.  Postage services to/from Namibia isn't always what it's supposed to be, though it is improving. 

Jim, thank you my friend!  I have considered etching - in fact, I've made many a PCB using etching around 18 years ago.  This is still a very real (and actually quite easy) option.  I'm not too fond of using chemicals; safe disposal is always a problem.  And the fact that the photoresist spray that I can get has a relatively short shelf life doesn't help.  Hmmm... Caustic Soda (developer) and Ferric Chloride (etching)... How bad are they for the environment.   And how well would FeCl work on brass...  Some investigation needed.  Getting positives/negatives for this process is not difficult at all - laser printer transparency sheet is available enough, and for UV exposure about 5 minutes in direct Namibian sunlight does the job in the summer (about 8 minutes in winter) 
There is another very easy option for etching - just draw/write up the design on a bit of brass plate with a permanent marker.  Etch.  The only problem with this for me is that my own hand-writing makes Doctors look like professional calligraphers  ::)
And another option...  Print it with darkest/maximum toner settings on smooth shiny paper and transfer to clean brass plate with the old clothes iron - I tried this quickly yesterday evening - on non-flat Scotch-Brited shim stock.  Ordinary printer/photocopy paper didn't produce much in terms of results, but using the shiny cover of a weekly magazine did add a bit of promise.  The ink from the magazine paper did have an affect though, and for some reason the last bit of "engine" didn't stick....

Some experimenting required  :)

:) Thanks Jonesie.  Paint is optional - really.  It's a personal choice; if you're happy with the way your engine looks, there's no reason to paint it.

Hmm...  Thanks for the reality check Marv  :NotWorthy:.  I don't know the Rapidograph templates (too young or in the wrong area on the globe), but I do know engraving can be tedious.  And that grand plans can fail.  In fact, more often than not. 

Geoff, thank you - yes; this turned out to be nicely Elmer-sized. 

Thanks Nick  :)

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal