Author Topic: Hello from south east England  (Read 1104 times)

Offline RichC

Hello from south east England
« on: December 07, 2020, 11:31:19 AM »
Good day,
so for many years of attending models engineering shows (since the late 90's) i have always been fascinated by the stunning model engines on display, i am a former MoD apprentice and now electronics engineer in the aerospace industry who has been flying model aircraft for most of my life. I also have two steam engines, one of which i am rebuilding currently having picked it up again recently after about 10 years gathering dust.
i have attempted to spend this year finishing off projects as i have been very guilty of leaving far too many unfinished, unfortunately i think it will run into next year a bit as i have two aircraft awaiting painting and my unfinished workshop is too cold to paint in.

i have a 6" centre height lathe and a Myford knee mill which i have also recently converted to CNC, although not finished yet...  oh and a CNC router which is finished!!!!

ultimately i am looking to build something multi-cylinder inline for a large scale warbird, ideally gas and with a reduction gear for a more scale sized prop. but i think i will likely start with a single cylinder 4-stroke in the 10-15cc range to get my head around engine making and back into the world of looking for useful parts inside of lumps of metal.

i have been hunting for plans for my ideal multi-cylinder project and currently the best i have found is the WT Engines 2727-R3, which is beautiful, but only 46cc and glow. ideally i'm looking for something neared 80cc, but it does look like a nice design.

https://wtengines.com/index.php/engine-plans/wt-inline-2727-r3/

i have also been looking at another engine which is 90cc and also glow, but i'd prefer enclosed rockers etc.

https://www.cad-modelltechnik-jung.de/construction-plans-model-engines.html

so if someone wouldn't mind taking a minute to point be at a bit of knowhow about converting to gas it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hello from south east England
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 12:37:43 PM »
 :hi: Rich,

There are lots of casting based 4 cylinder engine designs that could be made using barstock if you wish. One that immediatley comes to mind is in Strictly IC there was the DH Cirrus.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 01:02:15 PM »
You could also have a look at the Jung range of engines, although they don't do a straight 4 it would not be hard to add an additional cylinder to the inline 3 cyl. These would be modern metric drawings.

https://www.cad-modelltechnik-jung.de/construction-plans-model-engines.html

The good thing with barstock engines is that you can scale an existing design up or down and as the capacity is the cube of any scaling you don't need to enlarge or decrease them much.

When you say Gas do you mean propane/butane or gas (petrol) instead of glow fuel?

Nice Anzani W3 there too Jo.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 01:09:59 PM by Jasonb »

Offline RichC

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »
thanks, yes i mean petrol, spent too much time reading an American forum the other day i guess.

Jason thats the place where my second link is from, can't say i'm looking for a 4-cylinder specifically, both of the two i linked are 3-cylinder, there are also a couple of inline twins about but they start to get taller for the displacement and i do want to be able to build one for a scale model which may present a height limitation, sort of looking into that.

i had looked at scaling the WT engines design up by 20% to get 80cc, obviously adjusting bearing sizes etc for the nearest size but i don't know what else i'd have to adjust, scaling up by 20% is 73% more volume, which is 73% more mass in things like the piston, but the conrod cross-section is two dimensional would only be scaled up by 44%. areas like this are where i'm out of my depth and could do with some experience.

since i'm looking at WW2 era aircraft i need a bit more go than the cirrus, although the ones i have seen are lovely.

thanks,

Rich.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 02:00:42 PM »
Nice Anzani W3 there too Jo.

Why is he calling it a W3:noidea:  If you recall the Anzani W type or Fan engine's drawings by Alfred Eichinger are available in SIC  (June/July 2001) :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 02:29:54 PM »
 Several sites say the engine used by Bleriot used a W type with  3-cyl so W3 I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 02:36:14 PM by Jasonb »

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 08:44:31 PM »
Hello Rich and welcome to the forum  :hi:

I understand you would prefer petrol to glow but should you be interested I have under the bench most of the material for the cad- model technik (cyl) radial along the drawings and with a wire eroded bronze internal gear ring and corresponding gear.

Several parts are roughed out of 6082 alu and there is some cast for the liners. I shall never make it now so if you change your mind and are interested send me a PM

Regards - Ramon (Tug)
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 06:11:28 AM »
Hi Rich,
Welcome to MEM!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal