Author Topic: Flywheel questions  (Read 3082 times)

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
Flywheel questions
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
I'm finally getting away from making tools to making engines. As my skills develop, I'm beginning to understand more and more about making little engines.
Flywheels, for example. My first was for the EZ engine and it was just a large flat slice of steel
I found in the stuff I inherited from my Dad. No embellishments except being cleaned up and trued on the lathe and shined a bit with emory cloth. The second, a pair of 1/2? slices of 2?  aluminum barstock with a relief turned in the sides. My third,  was better yet. I turned the relief in the sides, and added 6 symetrically spaced holes using my rotary table, again from aluminum barstock. Mow I want to get fancier, and do a brass or alum. Center with spokes, and a pressed on steel rim for better flywheel effect. My question to the more experienced, is where can I get (read scrounge) steel pipe with at least 1/4? wall thickness, and 2 1/2? to 4? diameter? What type of businesses might have cutoffs in these sizes? Is schedule 80 pipe easy to machine to a decent finish? Would the  ?Depot? big box stores have pipe nipples/caps/etc. that big?
I don't know of any scrap yards around here that sell to individuals or businesses that use pipe.

Chuck

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Flywheel questions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:57:41 PM »
Most of the online suppliers will have DOM tubing.  For example...

http://www.speedymetals.com/s-204-round-tube.aspx
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:01:04 AM »
The nice thing about Speedy Metals is they will sell in increments of 1 inch. For instance for the flywheels of my Upshur Farm Engine, I bought 2 1 inch long chunks of 3.5" diameter cast iron.

--Tim

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 12:09:24 AM »
Thanks, Tim and Marv. I'll get closer to my desired dimentions and order from speedy Metals!

Chuck

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 01:20:32 AM »
Check also 'onlinemetals'. I recently ordered some brass....$60 from speedy, $40 from online. But I didn't check the difference in shipping. And it may be a question of what you want to order.

I've ordered from both and been satisfied...but it's worthwhile to check the current costs between them.

You can order by the inch from both.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal