Author Topic: Quill cinch bolt  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Quill cinch bolt
« on: August 31, 2016, 04:20:45 AM »
Hi everybody,
I just thought that I would throw this idea, tip out and hope that it is helpful to someone. The mill I use at work is a Bridgeport clone. I used to have one of those little clips that mount under the head tilting bolt which has a hole for a spring. After years of repetitive motion the spring died. It was replaced by a rubber band, which didn't like the oil I use as cutting lubricant. While looking for a replacement I realized that the seals we use have a spring under the lip. When the lock is in the unlocked position the spring rides up to the knob on the lever. So here's a photo of my solution for those who must have photo's.

I hope that someone out there finds this helpful. This spring has lasted six months longer than the best rubber band.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Re: Quill cinch bolt
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 08:55:14 PM »
It's easy to do away with the spring all together. Just reverse the lock lever/split cotter. Put the lever on the back and it locks in the UP
direction, which it holds with no problem, and when unlocked just hangs down at the bottom of the swing. It takes a while to get use to
the new direction but hasn't been a problem with the three Bridgeports at school for a year now.
   ...lew...

Offline jeff l

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:22:42 AM »
kept mine in the front , I made a new screw clamp with left hand threads and made a new clamp tapped left hand .

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:57:32 AM »
Jeff & Lew,
Thanks for your input. I have worked at the same place for 16 years and if it had been set up reversed I would be used to it by now. The spring on the quill lasted about 10 years. I just wish I had thought of this "fix"a couple rubber bands back. Jeff I like your fix of left handed setup. Habit being ingrained as it is I would probably tighten it for a couple weeks before I got used to it. :ROFL:
Art
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:35:24 PM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline jeff l

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 04:03:16 AM »
yes it took a while to get used too .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal