Author Topic: 2" Minnie Traction Engine  (Read 15195 times)

Offline packmule

2" Minnie Traction Engine
« on: August 05, 2016, 07:51:16 AM »
Following on from my introduction my efforts continue and as part of my build the chimney saddle is the latest part, still not quite finished but almost there. The first attempt was ruined by operator error  :hammerbash:. With that still fresh in my mind I decided to machine the arc on the bottom first. This was followed by milling a shallow slot for the blower which I have silver soldered in place.All that remains is to fit the bottom plate,bore out for the exhaust and the centre hole.
This was a bit of a experiment as I was going to buy a casting but inspired by Mal's efforts I decided to have a go, more experience if nothing else and I'm pleased with the result .

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: 2" Minnie Traction Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:55:03 AM »
Hi Packmule,
 Looks like you are making good progress, got the  :popcorn: at the ready

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »
Nice work on the Chimney Saddle, Bob.  In the picture, I see what looks like a regular end mill. How'd you get the curve so accurate with that?  I'd have thought you used a boring head or something to get the shape.  It looks great, however you did it!
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 07:00:50 PM »
Nice results Bob and good progress....... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:19:52 PM »
Looking good Bob, I love watching these Minnie builds.          Terry

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 05:16:06 PM »
Hi Bob, the chimney base looks really good I like the way you went about it ,keep the pics coming :ThumbsUp:

Offline packmule

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
Thanks for the replys,hoping to get it finished this week.
Kim
it is a 16mm end mill I fitted a set of dro's earlier this year other than turning the handles it does it all for you.The results as hou can see are v.good.Anything i can do to make life easier is always welcome.I did try with a flycutter but I didn't get on to well with that,more practice needed there.

Bob

Offline packmule

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 09:09:25 PM »
Hi guys, following on the saddle is now finished albeit a bit of filling when it comes to painting. I hadn't a clue how to mark out the shape for the saddle plate for fixing to the smokebox when inspiration struck. I suddenly thought ,I have Visio on the pc so why not draw a ellipse and enlarge it to take account of the radius of the smokebox this was then printed onto a piece of paper which I glued to the rolled plate and simply cut and filed to the shape. Worked a treat and was so easy. Will probrobly line saddle and perch bracket up drill out the holes and bolt together. Then its back to making the throat plate former for more copper bashing.

I love it when simple ideas work.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 09:53:48 PM »
That is looking very nice Bob. Sometimes the simple  ideas are the best and your are right, it is rewarding when they work out just as you wish!!

Bill

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 10:42:30 PM »
Hi Bob, the chimney base has turned out really nice with you  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 06:14:20 AM »
Thanks for the replys,hoping to get it finished this week.
Kim
it is a 16mm end mill I fitted a set of dro's earlier this year other than turning the handles it does it all for you.The results as hou can see are v.good.Anything i can do to make life easier is always welcome.I did try with a flycutter but I didn't get on to well with that,more practice needed there.

Bob
Thanks for the reply Bob.  It was a very successful method, that's for sure!  Looks great!
Kim

Offline packmule

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 10:03:05 PM »
Wow couldn't believe how long its been since last post.

Been busy working on the boiler just a couple of pinholes then pressure test.
Made a start on the front wheels and have turned the rims . I've left them oversize so if there's any distortion I should be able to machine them back true. While waiting for some steel plate for the tee's I bored out the chimney and ready to start tapering .Absolutely loads of swarf as its from 57mm solid

Offline packmule

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 08:34:30 PM »
Following on from the last post. I've managed to bore out the chimney which took forever. Tapered both inside and out. I levelled it on the mill and machined a piece out as suggested in the book to give a rolled appearance and drilled for the rivets. For the chimney top I had some copper plate left from building the boiler so I decided to make two formers, one for the top and one for the bottom. I annealed the plate and began copper bashing the two pieces ,didn't take very long and I was happy with the result. These have now been soldered together and need boring to fit on top of the chimney and cleaning up and polishing. I'll post picture a.s.a.p

Offline packmule

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 09:25:13 PM »
Disaster

The dreaded sticky copper gremlin grabbed the top while cleaning it up and threw it on the floor. Needless to say the air was a very thick shade of blue :hammerbash:
Rather than start again I decided to see if it could be salvaged. I didn't have anything to lose so I cut the former so I could fit it inside and started bashing back to as good as shape as I could get. The result is far from perfect but I don't think its a complete disaster.

Put it together with most of what's completed so far and it at least looks as it should.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 09:58:53 PM »
Wow! Looks like a great save.  :ThumbsUp:

That should clear up the air a bit.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 11:10:10 PM »
Wow - amazing you were able to reshape that part that well. Very well done!

And I thought I heard some new words floating by the window...

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 12:36:48 AM »
Yeah, I've had that happen all too frequently!  Not always copper either, so I don't have the 'sticky copper' excuse.  The 'clumsy oaf' excuse is about all I can convincingly muster!

But your salvage job looks good to me!  I'd be pleased with that  :ThumbsUp:

Kim

Offline packmule

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm sure you may well have heard my comments as they came thick and fast.
I've now started to cut the discs to weld into the front rims to form the tee's  will post more as progress continues.

Bob

Offline packmule

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2020, 04:15:34 PM »
Can't believe its Been so long since I last posted  :o apologies everyone.
 Well work is still continuing although I haven't taken many photos as it was pretty staightforward stuff. Anyway as you will see the front wheels are finished along with some of the gears and the crankshaft. The wheels were a copy of Mal Webbers in the they are welded rings inside the ring and ground back. The crankshaft was done almost to the book except I machined the webs together before  pinning and soldering.

Hope to make more progress now I've retired  :) :)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2020, 04:26:11 PM »
Nice to see an update on your project!  Looking forward to more :)

Your last picture looks a bit like a steampunk Tie Fighter!  :Jester:

Kim

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 08:40:40 AM »
Hi Bob
Still watching this build and it's looking good Bob,  my minne build has come to a stop for now until I finish Howitzer project I have started but when I do start back on the minne will be asking a few questions on the boiler side of things .

Mal

Offline packmule

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 08:07:10 PM »
 Hi mal ,
Glad to see your still building. I've taken a short break from gear cutting to give my ears and arm a rest.
Started a small build if a stirling engine from Anthony Mount's book. Its a bit fiddley as quite a few parts are only 0.5 thick but getting there 

Offline packmule

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »
At last.........

After a lot of gas and silver solder i've finally managed to seal the boiler and its passed its first test at 200psi.
Now finishing the mounting blocks for the crank, gear and rear axle. These have been cut from steel bar and I'm press fitting bronze bushes rather than steel running on steel. Once these are finished I will fit to the hornplates and it will be onto the rear wheels which I was going to fabricate but in view of the time already passed opted for a pair of Ali castings.

will post pics later.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 11:57:41 AM »
Concratulations for Passing the Major Milestone a Pressure Test - that Must have fellt Good  :whoohoo:    :cheers:

Per

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2022, 01:31:21 PM »
Congratulations on the boiler milestone!
Glad to hear that you are still fitting the Minnie into your life.
Charlie

Offline packmule

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2022, 03:39:55 PM »
Thanks for comments,

after spending what seemed a lifetime of soldering and chasing leaks if felt fantastic watching the pressure needle rise and not getting wet. There was a small amount of movement in the firebox crown nothing to bother about. The amount of solder that I've used i think it needs hallmarking as well although a fair bit of that is down to inexperience, but I don't  care now as the first hurdle has been passed.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2022, 04:07:33 PM »
Been there - the first boiler I did took forever, redoing seams multiple times, finally got it. Several boilers in actually had one pass test first try. I stood there and couldn't believe it!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2022, 06:59:30 PM »
Great to hear the progress on the Minnie!  :ThumbsUp: 
Looking forward to seeing the pictures too.

Kim

Offline packmule

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2022, 09:13:24 PM »
Pictures as promised of some of the other parts made whilst batting with the boiler.

First up is the boiler showing bronze stays which I threaded and screwed in 3mm stainless rod for the hornplates.
Second is hornplate fitted showing  shaft bearings, (third and rear axle waiting for bronze to make bushes )
Third  is winding drum and brake drum. Had big fun turning these as the steel was EN8 and would only cut using insert tips and light cuts.
Fourth one shows the 80t final drive gear and winding drum ratchet wheel.

Hope I've not bored you to death as no special techniques just plain turning.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2022, 12:24:57 AM »
Those are some great-looking parts, Bob!  :popcorn:

Kim

Offline packmule

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2022, 09:40:44 PM »
Few more pictures for you.
 After fitting the hornplates I set about the bearing blocks for the various shafts. These were all cut from solid steel milled down to size  and shaped on rotary table. Rather than have steel on steel I fitted bronze bushes to all. Just for inspiration I fitted the various gears, winding drum, brake drum and the front end. Quite pleased with the look so far.
Now its the rear wheels. Bit of a disaster in a way in that the castings are 10mm too big for the lathe so its off to the mill.
I glued 2 pieces of 12mm ply and cut a disk larger than req'd to take the rim, bolted to the rotary table and fly cut the top to make it flat. That done it was a case of bolting down the rim and centering. Lots and lots of light cuts and we are getting there but its slow going.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2022, 10:44:39 PM »
Great to see an update on your Minnie!    :popcorn: :popcorn:

The gears look great!  And your solution of using the RT on the mill for the rear wheels seems like a good solution to me.

Keep the progress coming!
Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2022, 07:44:15 PM »
Nice progress and parts  :ThumbsUp:

I like that you found a solution that allows you to do it with what you got  :ThumbsUp:  :cheers:

Per

Offline packmule

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2022, 08:54:12 PM »
Thanks Kim, Per for your kind comments,

One of my aims when I started to build was to try and not use any castings (or as  few as possible)  and to complete all the work myself using solid.
The thought being how much I could learn from my successes and failures. Thankfully any failures have only been small parts easy to remake. The only metalwork I had done was at school over 50 yrs ago so the amount I have learnt from forums such as this and the books i've  read has really paid off and I'm pleased with the results, not perfect but acceptable to me.

So big thanks to all contributors and the work continues.    :cheers:

Offline packmule

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2023, 03:53:12 PM »
After a lot of machining first rim is done.
Had a break from all the turning on the rotary table and stated the hubs. Again done on the mill using DRO to round the ends. I originally tried to do the hubs in one piece which ended in disaster so I  decided to fabricate them as you can see in the pictures.
It was too cold yesterday to go in the workshop do spent a bit of time with the printer and made a jig for drilling the spokes which turned out perfect, nice when things go to plan.

Offline packmule

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2023, 03:54:59 PM »
Missed picture of hub soldered together :hammerbash:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2023, 05:17:32 PM »
Hubs are looking good!  As is the spoke jig!  That's a great use of 3D printing!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline packmule

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2023, 06:14:41 PM »
Finally,

After more turning of the rotary table than I would like to count the rear wheels are complete ( minus tyres ). This has taken forever and 1 mill motor which overheated and melted the insulation inside.

Rather than a lot of bashing with a hammer and snap I decided to make a squeezer for all the rivets on the spokes and the rim. It worked brilliantly and rivets were squeezed up in seconds and not a hammer in sight. I decided it was pointless making strakes and riveting them as the intension was always to fit tyres so saved a bit of time and metal there.
Once done I couldn't resist putting bits together just for pure satisfaction.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2023, 06:20:47 PM »
Wheels came out fantastic!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2023, 11:22:10 PM »
Very nice!  And a lovely little rivet squeezer too!  :popcorn: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2023, 01:24:48 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: It's lookin good.  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline packmule

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2023, 10:22:19 AM »
Thanks for all your kind comments.

Some of the rivets aren't perfect but I can live with that. Now I can start another part which wont take as long and it should start to come together

Offline packmule

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2023, 12:36:31 AM »
Starting to machine the cylinder block. The plans state to use gunmetal for the cylinder liner is this the best way to go or would you suggest something else ?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2023, 01:04:24 AM »
If the piston head is steel or cast iron I'd use bearing bronze (not silicon bronze, the bearing bronze is a lot easier to work). 'Gunmetal' is kind of a catchall term, depends what year and what country you are in what it really means, from what I've seen.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2023, 07:13:52 AM »
Rather depends on what you are doing for the cylinder and rings as the book/plans are based on using GM castings for both cylinder and liner and the use of a silicon ring.

If GM cylinder then a piece of hollow 660 leaded bronze bar would be my choice and that will work well with Viton or silicon rings.

Liner cut from grade 250 cast iron bar would be a good option particularly if it is an iron cylinder and you want to use iron rings. Fit with high temp 648 Loctite.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2023, 07:45:25 AM »
On model Locomotives they tend to use the relatively cheap Cast Iron cylinders and liners because of the amount of use the engines get doing public running, accepting that the slight rusting between uses will be quickly rubbed off in use. Most small model traction engines are not going to be steaming/ running 8 hours a month pulling heavy loads.

Gunmetal or bronze is preferred for less used models, it is much more expensive but does not have the same level of TLC required long term.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2023, 02:04:48 PM »
I just had a look at Blackgate sand the 2" Minnie is a CI cylinder so I would go with a CI liner loctited in. this is the same arrangement a smy 2" Fowler has.

Most locos don't tend to use liners unless someone is cutting from solid as they do not need the annulus around the liner so that steam can travel up from the boiler to the regulator ontop of the cylinder. Most small traction engines of 1" and 1.5" tend to have GM castings, most above that are iron.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2023, 02:20:25 PM »
Both of my Loco's cylinders have liners. The use of Liners are good practise on passenger hauling Locos because they are easily replaced  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline packmule

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2023, 02:54:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Yes Jason its a blackgates block so ci it is then. :praise2:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal