Author Topic: Casting a stator housing in iron.  (Read 4572 times)

Offline airmodel

Casting a stator housing in iron.
« on: July 24, 2016, 01:35:34 AM »
Hi everyone.

I recently completed a model A.C. generator, I also made a video about how I made the sand mold for the stator housing. Have a look at the video.  <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOF-bcXsS4E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOF-bcXsS4E</a>

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Casting a stator housing in iron.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 04:56:18 AM »
Hi Airmodel,
 That's cool! I'm a bit surprised at how little talc you use, guess the vertical faces of the pattern either get little or nothing, but it doesn't matter. The other thing is how quick you ram up, I was under the impression that the sand had to be rammed up hard, but given that you lift the boxes up & the sand doesn't fall out it all is good. You want to be careful given to some peoples love of castings on here you may end up with a contact to supply!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
Hi Airmodel,

Fantastic casting! I love watching your videos. Very inspiring work!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
I noticed you are not using a riser on this casting. It obviously didn't need one as the casting turned out just perfect. Are there some guidelines as when a riser is needed, or is that something you knew because of your experience casting?

Thanks for sharing!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 03:49:40 PM »
Great video and what a nice casting too. Thanks for posting the video and taking the time to do it.

Bill

Offline airmodel

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 05:11:01 AM »
yogi

Risers are only needed when there is a thick section in a casting. It is to provide feed metal so the casting does not shrink in the thick section. Some times a chill will cure shrinkage problems better than a riser will. Also some people use a riser to vent a mold, it is not needed. The only reason why a mold does not fill up is because of cold metal. I could go on and on about risers but the result is you will be very confused.

Steamer5

My molds are very shallow so the sand really does defy gravity. Given that I live a lot closer to the south pole than the equator I don't think many will pay for the shipping costs to north America as 99% of the members on this forum live there.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »
Hi Airmodel,
I think I'm slightly closer to the South Pole than you, & only 2500 is east!
As you say shipping is a killer on casting! The ones I got from Brisbane I wangled a "free" trip via Korea, otherwise the cost of shipping was going to be far more than the casting! Then financial controller grumbled enuff as it was! Looking forward to more casting how videos

Cheers Kerrin

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 07:41:38 PM »
Thanks Airmodel! I understand, this whole casting business is not something that can be explained in a short paragraph. Thanks for your insight and taking the time to make and share the videos.

Offline airmodel

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 03:58:01 AM »
Kerrin

Is that a Garrett loco photo below your name? My brother asked me to pour two copies of a Garrett narrow gauge loco plate in iron for him. I seem to spend more time casting items for other people than myself. Do you pour your own castings?

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 05:01:41 AM »
Hi Airmodel,
 Yep it is, K1 currently undergoing a boiler rebuild, I think it's still happening as it started to have the tubes removed over a year ago, the info coming out of Wales is a little slow. I posted up some pictures of the castings some time back. They were cast by a guy in Queensland, & have been aging under my bench for far too many years!
 So no I don't do my own castings would love to though, or at least live close enuff to somebody who I could help, read hinder, who has the knowledge & was willing to pass on the skills! 2500 Kms isn't quite close enuff!
What plates did you cast for your brother?

Cheers Kerrin

Offline airmodel

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 06:52:33 AM »
I haven't cast them yet but will be pouring them very soon. They are the number plates on each side of the cab. With these plates I dust a lot of talc on the pattern to get a smooth finish and yes you are right talc does not stick to vertical surfaces.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal