Author Topic: 1867 Otto and Langen Free Piston Engine  (Read 42917 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: 1867 Otto and Langen Free Piston Engine
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2017, 01:48:37 AM »
Thank you Zee!

Dave

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
The usual superlatives just don't seem to do this level of craftsmanship justice!! I do want to build one of these myself at some point, and if I can even get close to what you've done here I'll be very happy indeed - well done  :ThumbsUp:

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2017, 02:21:41 PM »
Hello.

Verry nice engine!

I want to know where to buy this Tom Thumb Flywheel?
So anyone have dimensions of it?

I want to use it for the 1/3 IHC Famous.
It need 200x20 mm Flywheels.

Regards Toby

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2017, 03:53:10 PM »

Offline TobyTetzy

« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2017, 07:54:48 AM »
Thank you, Jason,

I think I found one at rc-machines.

Toby

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »
I think that Max purchased his flywheel from Don Weinbrenner at Midwest Model Engineering (316-483-4611).
I'm not sure if Don is doing engine kits anymore.

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2018, 01:08:58 AM »
Hi Guys,

Andy, (Chipmaster) had send me a message asking if I had a video of Max's Otto & Langen  running? I did not, so today after work I stopped by Max's shop; he fired up the engine and I shot a quick video of it. After it runs a while it likes to gain speed, rather than fussing with the mixture you can see me slowing the engine down with my hand on the flywheel.

The ratchet and pawl are very tricky to get to work correctly, this is the second pair that he has made for it. When the engine is running slow it latches nicely but when it speeds up it has some difficulty dropping in, you can see and hear it chattering a bit before it catches a tooth. If someone comes up with a good working profile we would love to see it. Even Emmett said in his notes that it may take several tries to get one to work properly. 

Enjoy!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPzVx-ysas" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPzVx-ysas</a>

Dave

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2018, 01:47:28 AM »
That one really runs well. I'm glad you had a chance to make the vid. Having watched the build with great interest, and now having seen it run, I've really got the itch to build one but I don't think I, or my shop, am ready....

:praise2:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2018, 02:20:38 AM »
Fantastic video! Thanks!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2018, 02:53:34 AM »
Great ending to a great project!  :ThumbsUp:

Thanks for posting the video Dave.
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2018, 07:14:35 AM »
Thanks for the video Dave, it runs far more like the original than the one to Julius' plans that was posted a couple of days ago which is way too fast.

Did you try adjusting the exhaust restrictor to slow it down as that is what is supposed to act as a governor buy restricting how quickly the piston drops?

Also what Gas is being used to run it? THink I may have answered that having now watched to the end.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2018, 11:04:03 PM »
Hi Dave

You have a beauty there.  It runs very well.

My otto langen has a simular problem with the ratchet and pawl not positively engaging when it speeds up too much.  Often I can regulate the speed by controlling the exhaust. 

It seems to be susceptible to temperarure/humidity.  Sometimes I need to reguakte the acyteline pressure to get it run slow enough so the ratchet/pawl wont skip
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2018, 11:07:44 PM »
Thanks Guys

Jason, yes I understand how it works, did you notice in the video that the valve is completely shut? When the engine is cold the valve needs to be opened or the engine will die before it cycles and hits again.
What you are seeing is the leakage by the piston when warm. With careful adjustment of the fuel it will run slower but occasionally dies if it misses a cycle. We left it running a little fast for the video so it wouldn't die. Maybe a tighter fitting piston would slow it down, maybe not.

The engine doesn't have  a  way to  regulate the combustion air, just a hole in the side of the valve chest. A friend who built one of these added second tube and made a special valve so he could meter both the fuel and air. He used to bring his engine to the GEARS show and it always ran very well; although it did die occasionally (don't they all). Sadly he passed a few years ago so we can't ask him any questions.

Max is very pleased with how the engine runs so it is unlikely that he is going to start remaking parts for maybe just a few rpm slower operation.

Thanks for the ideas Craig.

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2018, 11:12:09 PM »
I have attached a picture that I took of the fuel and air valve on Gordon's engine.

Dave

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2018, 07:12:01 AM »
Thanks Dave, I did see the valve handle in what is usually the closed position and wondered about that. The full size did have 3 piston rings but then again it also had a lot more weight to help the piston back down, may be worth trying  a ring on the model but you would have to find a balance between a better seal and minimal additional friction.

Wayne Grennings 1:1 replica piston

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal