Author Topic: A small cochran boiler  (Read 47675 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: A small cochran boiler
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 10:23:38 PM »
 :o

Wow.

I mean wow.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 10:30:06 PM »
Very impressive work Florin. You do have a handle at soldering, very nice............ :praise2:

Don

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »
The full size Cochran boiler was not that expensive, they were often found on UK motor ships in the 50's and 60's, fitted to provide steam in port when the exhaust gas (from the main engine) wasn't providing steam via the exhaust gas boiler.  Ship owners wouldn't have fitted them unless they were relatively cheap!

Chris

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 08:14:47 PM »
Hello

Again, thank you for your comments. Just to be clear about that: I always do some finishing work to the soldered joints after soldering. That Is why all these joints look that nice.
But it is true, I seem to be a little talented with silver-soldering. (Or do I just have the right equipment?  ;) )
It was/is also fun for me building that boiler. And I myself really am into these details that make the boiler look like id does (wooden handles, ...)

I found a picture from the main steam valve, though the picture is a little blurry. I then started building the doors of the reversing chamber. You can see my idea of how to do it on my scribbles that I made.
The doors are bent from 1mm brass sheet. Unfortunately I cant remember how I did this.  :embarassed: (well - its six years over since then) But i must have used some kind of round thing to form the radius. What I do remember is how I made that step into one door: I clamped the door in a vise and then made a square bend. Then I clamped it on the other end (while that was still beeing a little longer). To bend it back, I used kind of a wedge shaped tool.
The static part of the door hinge was made again with my soldering technique (basically a flat piece and two u-shaped pieces).
Oh and in case you need to deburr some holes that you cant reach witch a "standard" deburring tool, you can use these spherical dremel-cutters. They work pretty well as long as the angle doesnt get too big.
The part of the hinge that is going to be on the door will have a tee cross-section. Again it is going to be silver soldered from several elements. But I first had to bend the web for the t-profile. Then I solderd together the web and the flange and in another step added a piece of tube.
After that, I drilled holes into the flange, 4 per hinge. I want to rivet the hinges to the doors. And there are the completed doors (well - almost - I will have to make some kind of a latch)
That is how far I was, when I finished continuing with this boiler six years ago. Well, three weeks ago, I restarted work on it and that also is the reason for this Topic here. I wanted wo write that I was going to continue but couldn't find any topic about my cochran.  :o ;)

Cheers Florian
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:07:54 PM by Florian Eberhard »

Offline ICEpeter

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2016, 08:39:26 PM »
That is great work you are doing, Florian. Very much enjoy watching your build
and appreciate your first class workmanship. Will follow along with great interest.

Peter J.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2016, 09:32:35 PM »
The doors and hinges certainly turned out well and add a lot of detail too Florian.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 09:42:50 PM »
That is how far I was, when I finished continuing with this boiler six years ago. Well, three weeks ago, I restarted work on it and that also is the reason for this Topic here. I wanted wo write that I was going to continue but couldn't find any topic about my cochran.

Perhaps on the previous forum?

What Peter said...first class.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2016, 01:09:05 AM »
Florian those doors are a work of art!

I remember this project from the other forum and will be happy to be able to see it finished here on MEM.

Dave

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2016, 03:03:24 AM »
Nice job on the doors. Can you explain a bit about how you held those pieces together to do the soldering? I have always had trouble doing small items like that.

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2016, 03:27:35 AM »
That's a lot of fantastic silver soldering ! Great job
Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 02:13:16 PM »
Beautiful work!  I was a little confused how the flues worked on this guy, but I think I get it now.  Very interesting!
Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »
Outstanding Forian, love the door and how they look on the boiler. Having the right equipment for soldering is a must but it still takes a bit of talent......... :praise2:

Don

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »
Nice job on the doors. Can you explain a bit about how you held those pieces together to do the soldering? I have always had trouble doing small items like that.

Hi Ron

Well - I did not hold them in any way. But I did have to correct the position of the parts after the water of the flux evaporated. (that always moves parts arount)
I also flattened the silver solder rod on the tip so the solder did melt easily. And I ususally apply the solder on the part that is hard to move with the soldering rod. (I try to put it as close to the small parts as possible but without touching them)
After the solder closes the gap between several parts, they won't move around anymore and that makes it easier to add some more solder.

Another way of doing it (though I cant remember that I ever tried this) is to flatten the soldering rod with a hammer and then cut small parts and put them on the parts before heating up.
That is very useful for example for hardly reachable joints or for very small parts that would move at the first contact with silver solder.

Florian

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 11:50:55 PM »
Thanks, I was hoping you were going to have some great new trick, but you did did very careful work.

If I tried to do that hinge pin tube even moving my torch toward it and it would blow across the shop and be lost as soon as the flux started to become liquid.

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2016, 09:30:15 AM »
If I tried to do that hinge pin tube even moving my torch toward it and it would blow across the Shop...

Well, it seems that you are using a blow-torch  :LittleDevil:
No, I mean, I have several different torches, in different sizes. And i've had that Problem too once or twice. That usually showed me that I was using the wrong torch.

Florian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal