Engines > Your Own Design

Steam engine (Tiny vertical w/reverse)

(1/18) > >>

gbritnell:
Gentlemen,
I posted the drawings for this engine in the drawings section.
I am building one for a fellow so I thought I would start a build thread on it as the original wasn't documented because it was pre-digital.
This is the start of the base and sub-base made as one piece. It is being made from 12L14 mild steel.
gbritnell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcfrKsOaDNw

Don1966:
George I will be tagging alone with you. All of your builds are superb. I look forward to you documentation and photos.

Don

gbritnell:
The machining is straight forward, just small. I figured while making one I might as well make two. The blocks of steel were cut to 1.00x.562x.500. The bottom was relieved leaving an .08 wall all around. I roughed it with a .187 end mill then finished it with a .125 end mill. While I'm making the parts I am also making a drawing that will have stop points, step points etc. for the build. As I develop them I will post them for the group.
After the bottom was relieved the block was turned over and the bearing pockets and side profiles were cut.
gbritnell

gbritnell:
These photos show the finish profiling of the base.

gbritnell:
The last 3 photos for today show the center drilling (#00) and drilling (.029) for the 1.0x.25mm threads. Although the video in this thread shows the comparative size relative to a tire valve cap I am showing the 2 bases relative to a penny. The corner radii will need to be filed on and the bases polished up with some fine emery paper.
gbritnell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version