Author Topic: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine  (Read 64080 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2017, 04:59:32 PM »
Nice looking rolls there, Terry.
How did you get the "s" curves?  Did you make a pattern for comparison?
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #181 on: September 30, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »
Hi Kim, I assume you mean the cylinder cover. It's actually spaced off the cylinder casting by an 1/8" x 1/4" steel strip at front and back to provide space for the lagging. I simply bent them first to get the shape then rolled the tin from both ends until the shape matched. The next step is to drill / tap 5ba in the casting for the brass fixing screws. I shall have to do that with a hand held drill and am not looking forward to it.
Regards           Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »
Well, I think I'm on the last lap now :whoohoo:  With no room to spray inside I was planning to do the tins outdoors. The weather has been so bad I brush painted them in the shed and I'm quite pleased with the result!  The boiler layout is such that the rearmost boiler band cannot be a full circle so the top had to be fixed with a long piece of threaded rod (see pic) I have fitted motion covers, cylinder drain pipes and water lifter feed. I have also made and fitted a larger oil pot for the big end. Next move is another battle to get it out of the shed :(  Final thing will be to steam it and blow down several times to clean the boiler internals. I have made a removable seat so its away we go.  I will arrange for a video of it running and post when done.

Offline Jon Cameron

« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2017, 11:05:24 AM »
Looks lovely, will it be lined out eventually as well?

You've done some great work on this, and I've just been reading through the thread. I recently got the chance to drive a 4" foster and it has me itching to own an engine of my own one day. Look forward to the video.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »
Hi Jon and a warm welcome to the forum. Thanks for your nice comments.  I tried lining a wheel spoke, it didn't go too well. For the time being I shall leave it as is. Maybe if I sold it I would get it lined.
Regards        Terry

Offline Jon Cameron

« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »
Lining is an acquired skill, needs a very steady hand and good brushes, usually a wrist support too, failing that masking tape to keep the sharp edges.  :)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »
The weather has been so bad that my engine is still in the shed :shrug:  I cannot take it to work to store unless I get a dry period. This means that space is at a premium. Even so  I have restarted work on the second one. finished the perch bracket, welded the smoke box, etc.
I have no wish to bore folks so I will post very little...possibly just until I get a video to post of the road loco running.  We shall see.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #187 on: October 22, 2017, 10:11:09 PM »
Just!      The delights of working with large scale but small equipment.  I was going to use the iron smoke box ring but is VERY hard so I didn't bother.

No more posts on this build now I promise.     Just the video of the road loco running in a week or two.   Regards to all and bye for now.

Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2017, 11:05:05 PM »
Terry,  Looking forward to your video!
Please feel free to post, I've quite enjoyed all your posts and would love to see the 2nd one come together.

But its up to you.

Just wanted you to know, you're not boring me!  I'm finding it quite entertaining!

Kim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #189 on: October 23, 2017, 05:12:07 AM »
Terry,
 I second Kim’s request on posts! Building a 4” traction engine on your size gear has got to be a challenge & setups & ideas are always most welcome by those of us still sitting thinking about how will I do that!
I was talking with dad yesterday & mentioned your build, as you have the same Mills, he was struggling to get his head around how as well!
Oh the video will also be good in due course!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #190 on: October 23, 2017, 05:46:13 AM »
I'll third that!!  I love what I've seen of your work, Terry, and I'd like to see more. A video would be outstanding!!

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »
Thank you gents for your kind remarks re future posting. These last couple of weeks have seen me laid low by some sort of bug. I have done nothing, hence this late response. I went into the shop today...it's a bit crowded as the finished engine is still there. The opportunity to move/steam it has not appeared .  To cheer myself up I decided to fetch out all the bits of the second engine to have a "weigh-up". and to take family pics :thinking: I realise that I have progressed more than I thought. There is still a lot to make and to buy. Not much can happen until "no 1" is extracted so don't hold your breath! I have made a driving seat for it and my son has promised to visit and take the video. This may happen soon or not :shrug:  I live in an old terraced house in a preservation area. I have to find room in the road to line up the car / trailer/ ramps and engine and it is always crowded. Prior to that I need at least an hour to move it out of the shed, through the garden and side ginnel and onto the road. How I envy you guys with drives!  Thanks again for your encouragement. Andrew is posting again so there is still something for the BIG engine fans :Lol:          Best Wishes        Terry

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »
Andrew is posting again so there is still something for the BIG engine fans :Lol:

Quite so, at the current rate of progress I'll be posting for years to come.  :o

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2017, 08:00:02 PM »
Had some time out so continued a "tradition" that has been going on for 19 years!!.....taking grandchildren and great-grandchildren to our local Narrow Gauge "Santa Specials".Two older ones missing this year because of work :'( and one very new one not yet ready. A great time out and grandad gets his steam fix......I hope all our MEM folk have a great Christmas :cheers:   Still haven't done the video promised as the Burrell is still in the shed awaiting time / weather.        Best Wishes     Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2017, 05:09:07 AM »
Looks like a wonderful tradition, Terry!
Beautiful family!
Have a very merry Christmas :)
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal