Author Topic: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine  (Read 63897 times)

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
Re: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2016, 10:50:36 AM »
Kim: No apology needed! I find it quite difficult on this forum to find, and keep track of, threads. I've not posted on some threads because they have dropped out of the 'latest posts' list and I have been unable to find them by searching.

If anyone wants to look at my build diary on TractionTalk my sobriquet there is 'oly2brf5'.

Andrew

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2016, 05:23:26 PM »
Had a read though your build very impressive indeed

Reading reminded me of a club member at the club I used to belong to as it was mostly loco based and due to me having personal wheels and I have sold all my loco's I am no longer a member .

This guy built a 6 inch traction engine and a very fine job he did when asked what was the next project he replied I have the patterns made and the are at the foundry for a 12 inch one , big clang when our Colective jaws hit the floor not sure how it went as I have lost contact

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »
12" to the foot scale can turn up from time to time, I have recently made a new water pump cock for the full size Burrell at work. I made a steel plug first to lap in the cock body.  Then a brass plug on the same set up. (photos below)  A friend happened to mention that there cannot be many folk building a miniature and full size at the same time. They are both single crank compound Burrells although the big one is a 12ton roller not a TE.
Comparing mine and Andrew's builds will be interesting...vast differences in equipment and approach. This is what makes this such a great hobby. I trust Andrew is having as much fun as I am :cheers:      Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »
A bit more 4" progress.   Finished plumbing on the boiler crown, then did a bit more to the steering.  Given the equipment at home it seemed best to electric arc weld and then clean up with a little filing. (still some filing to do). Notice the minimal clearance between the steering shaft and belly tank / gear guard.              Terry

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2016, 10:25:50 PM »
Wow. It's very easy to see this as a full-size engine. Nice work!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2016, 11:42:44 PM »
Some very nice work being done here Terry ,looking at this build gets me in the shed  :ThumbsUp:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2016, 03:16:48 AM »
Neat.  Love to see your work Terry.
You can really see all the parts you're working on, that's for sure!
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
I have finally achieved some time in the shed.   :whoohoo:  My wife has an Ebay shop (wool/ribbons/haberdashery, etc) .Ever since she set it up I am required at frequent intervals to build more shelving for more stock, etc. assist with packing, posting.........it all intrudes into my swarf making. However progress has been made.  The steering assembly is now complete. I have started to mount the waterpump. Having noted Jadge's comments on his thread I have reduced the ram diameter by 1/8" Everything else is to Live Steam's drawing. Without CAD and the like I positioned it by eye :facepalm: Clamped in position with the eccentric set up and turning the crank I marked the fixing holes onto a paper stuck on the horn plate. Not wishing to do much dismantling drilling was a problem. I have aquired a 90degree drilling head. This worked well with a shortened drill bit. I did try the pump by hand and it worked by hand from a cup. Time will tell if it works OK in situ. Once it is fitted I will fix a gauge and see what pressure is achieved :thinking:     Still waiting for my cylinder.                        Terry

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »
Nice work there Terry, lovely paintwork is that sprayed on or brush?

Mal.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2016, 09:42:44 PM »
Cheers Mal,  All the priming  was brushed then dry flatted before brushing the top coats . I sprayed the tender and the belly tank. I know things are bound to get scratched during the build, but I am building a thing to be used and I don't want to build on this scale then take it all apart  again to paint.        Thanks for following along.                  Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2016, 09:48:48 PM »
Now that summer is here :thinking: I've started to have a few weekends away with the caravan. This results in minimal shed time. I am always impressed by the expertise and technology that exists amongst MEM people and I salute you all.  :NotWorthy:: CAD, CNC ,etc has bypassed me so my shed activities are still in the dark ages.(and likely to remain so) You will understand I hope, my set up for making the expansion link.
Firstly the link was marked out  followed by lightly centre popping the outline. Then chain drilling hacksawing and filing. I did use the mill for the die-block slot. Progress was being made and I was enjoying myself. However when I drilled the first of the lube holes the drill broke off flush and has proved impossible to extract. :'(   I have started making a replacement link.            On a better note both belly and back tanks are now interconnected and have proved to be leak free with a water test.                  Terry

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2016, 11:33:51 AM »
There's nowt wrong with the techniques being used. Neat use of the 'crank' method of machining the slot rather than hanging the link way off the rotary table to get the correct radius by direct means.

I haven't made my expansion links yet, because I haven't re-designed the valve gear yet. I made an expansion link and die block from gauge plate a few years ago for a fellow member on TractionTalk. Even though the parts were done on the CNC mill I left a couple of thou on the slot and did final fitting by drawing filing using a Hoffmann roller as a gauge.

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »
Cheers Andrew,   I like the idea of the roller as a gauge. On full size, the die block fit is arranged with about half a thou taper from one side. it should only enter from one side and be a "perfect" fit when fully in position. I don't think I shall be doing that on the model!............Terry

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2016, 09:02:13 PM »
some great work going on there, that 'crank' method for machining the slot is ingenious
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2016, 02:14:15 AM »
Hi Terry great work your doing there ,no cnc or dro in my shed good set of files does wonders.

Mal.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 02:25:03 AM by mal webber »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal