Author Topic: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine  (Read 63900 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »
Hi Andrew,      I started with two sets of castings.  One I bought off John, the second (incomplete) set came with a Holt boiler I bought whilst the first set was on order. Unlike you, I decided to make things one at a time and put the second lot away. Soon after it became obvious that my ancient Colchester was dying so I hastily machined all the "big" stuff while it was still going. When the time came for gearcutting I just fetched out a set of machined blanks and sent them off. Having now looked again I see they are different but I don't know which is which :shrug: I have took some pics for you to see.

Progressing with the hp valve , I  carried on after tea.   Starting the mill to continue with the exhaust recess I followed the wrong line :Mad:
 It is probably scrap!! Anyone got any ideas? :help:             Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »
Progressing with the hp valve , I  carried on after tea.   Starting the mill to continue with the exhaust recess I followed the wrong line :Mad:

Fettle a bit of spare bronze to fit the mistake and Silver solder in. Then whistle a merry tune, carry on milling and not admit it to anyone  ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2016, 10:00:23 PM »

Fettle a bit of spare bronze to fit the mistake and Silver solder in. Then whistle a merry tune, carry on milling and not admit it to anyone  ;).

Jo

Gets my vote!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2016, 10:16:44 PM »
Thanks for the photos. My casting is the same as one on the left, without gear teeth. Clearly a simpler casting, and presumably the later of the two? Not that it's going to be that visible when everything is assembled. Never mind the fancy shape though, I'll be more than happy if all the holes for the drive pin line up!

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »
Thank you Jo and Pete,         It's an obvious solution isn't it?      When you jump up and down with smoke coming out of your ears it limits your ability to think clearly ::)       I will post the repair pics when done.        Terry

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2016, 05:48:17 PM »
The other option is to mill the large part off completely and make a plate with a hole in to solder to the block. I have done a couple of valves this way as its easy to do the recess when its a through hole

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2016, 07:06:57 PM »
Cheers Jasonb..... I shall weigh up all the options before I commit..          Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2016, 09:32:37 PM »
HP valve repair...........I extended the "mistake" slot to provide a mechanical key, then fettled a bit of bronze and silver soldered it in. Carried on milling and job's a good un!    I was concentrating and forgot to whistle a merry tune :lolb:   

Thanks to Jo and Pete for the method.         And to Jasonb for the alternative.

Terry

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »
....whistle a merry tune....and no one ever knows you're afraid...

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »
I have finally got my cylinders back from John Rex and am very pleased with them. :cartwheel:      I do not like farming stuff out but sometimes it is required. A quick look at the photo of the cylinder on my mill and you will understand. (and forgive me I hope).  I still have to drill / tap loads of holes and make all the glands, front covers, etc.                 Terry

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2016, 11:12:04 AM »
Looking good Terry. Did John drill and tap any of the holes? A friend of mine got John to machine his cylinder casting, but was slightly disconcerted to discover most holes were tapped M6 whereas he'd be making parts assuming they'd be ¼" BSF. Mine will definitely be ¼" BSF, and 2BA for the glands, as I've already made the studs and nuts.

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »
Hi Andrew,  very little drilled and nothing tapped.  Most holes are M5.  I too am doing 1/4 BSF. studs and nuts,  M6 setscrews would not look nice at all. Also the height of the LP valve is different to drawing. Never the less I'm happy to be able to progress and quite satisfied with John's work.
Your latest stuff on TT looks good. The eccentric strap oilers look well...we have three Burrells at work and no oilers are the same...typical Burrell!

Regards         Terry :ThumbsUp:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »
   A little progress has been made recently.  Firstly the "spigots" that fit inside the cylinder covers. Having no suitable bar stock I chain drilled out of plate  and turned them to size on a suitable mandrel.  I had nothing to use to locate them onto the covers accurately, so with the covers in place a spot or two of  superglue held the spigots once dropped in the bores from the other end. Taken out in one with the cover it was simple to spot though, drill and tap.  Prior to final assembly the screws will be loctited and "popped" to retain them.

As mentioned before there are LOTS of studs to make and I have no "production" machinery.  I resorted to threading one end , cutting off and once a quantity had been made screwing into a threaded mandrel to finish the other end. After a while I gave up and ordered the rest on line :shrug:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »
I started next on the  pistons and rods, etc.  Pistons I machined from iron castings.  ( not prepared to or capable of the lovely hollow ones that Andrew has made) This was all easy stuff as can be seen.

I the set the piston rod  length by trial and error against the slide bars which I had already made and checked from crank stroke and crosshead dimensions.  The  drawings differ and I may be wrong :thinking: we will see.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »
A bit more progress today, drilled the slide bar support  and assembled it to the cylinder. Next step is to sit in on the boiler and set it using the con rod and turning the crank. I thought it would be safer to drill all the holes with the engine on the floor. earlier in this thread Kim and Zee were asking how I was going to move it and I outlined my plan :embarassed:  Unfortunately it didn't work :Mad: the bench is too long to sit at right angles to the door and there is too little garden width for the engine crane AND ramps. It looks like I shall have to make  a gantry.   
Never mind, a visit from my great grandaughter cheered me up.            Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal