Author Topic: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine  (Read 63902 times)

Offline packmule

Re: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2016, 07:46:35 AM »
Excellent work .Its good to see the different ways to set pieces up and get the same end result. Looking forward to the next instalment  :ThumbsUp:

Bob

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2016, 11:19:19 AM »
On full size, the die block fit is arranged with about half a thou taper from one side. it should only enter from one side and be a "perfect" fit when fully in position. I don't think I shall be doing that on the model!............Terry

Neither will I! A shake free fit from either side will satisfy me.

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2016, 10:53:58 AM »
Thank you Bertie, Mal, Bob and Andrew,      The first 20 months or so of my apprenticeship was spent on "bench fitting"....working with just hand tools.   I find it very satisfying, which is just as well with my shop!              Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »
Made a little more progress with my valve gear recently.  I have deviated from the LSM drawings which show all the pins able to rotate in every hole.
On the full size engine at work the "rod" pins are located by dutchmen under the head. In my case a 1/8" long x 3/32" dia  piece of mild steel tightly fitted in the pin and located in a  small slot in the rod. This keeps the split pins vertical. The expansion link pin is located by a taper pin fitted at a tangent to it. I was a bit nervous drilling and reaming the hole for this having already scrapped one expansion link. I hope the photos are clear enough.   By the way,  anybody out there know why these little locating pins are called "dutchmen"?

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »
Looking good! Are you following the LSM drawings as to valve events? Being awkward I am intending to work my way through the design of Stephenson valve gear and will probably change the design of valve gear and ports if appropriate.

No idea about 'dutchmen', I've not heard the expression before. However, I will be half inching the idea for my valve gear.  :ThumbsUp:

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2016, 09:44:17 PM »
Still on the subject of valve gear, here is a picture of the full size one at work.              Terry

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2016, 01:29:55 AM »
Nice work there Terry like the idea on the locating pin to stop the pin from turning

Mal.

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2016, 11:05:49 AM »
Still on the subject of valve gear, here is a picture of the full size one at work.              Terry

Thanks Terry; at first glance the LSM drawings seem to be a pretty good copy of full size. It'll still be interesting to work out what I want the valve gear to do and then see how close one can get to the 'ideal'.

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
I made a start on the crosshead today.  I tried to flycut to square up the casting but the hammering that the mill was getting made me stop. :(
I could not inflict that amount of suffering on the little Raglan. Things went a lot better,, albeit slower, when I tried with a 4 flute end mill. Once the outside was square some old-school marking out was done, then back on the mill. With no power feeds I'm in for a lot of winding on this one!

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2016, 11:48:24 PM »
Excellent work Terry ,have not machine a single casting in my projects yet looking forward to having a go at this sort of machining.

Mal

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2016, 09:47:34 PM »
I have been pottering on a little in the workshop lately, nothing worth detailing, just odds and ends. Crosshead , slide bars and safety valve mainly.
On the full size safety valve there is a slotted link fitted inside the spring so if the spring breaks the valves and lever stay attached rather than flying off somewhere :o No such stuff is shown on the drawings. I assume due to lack of space. I have added some plumbing but am now held up waiting for my cylinder to return :shrug:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2016, 10:02:55 PM »
Been dismantling the engine today. I forgot to cut the keyway that locks the right hand final drive gear to the axle :facepalm2:  i shall take the opportunity to cut the oil access in the gear guards and finish paint them while they are off.

Moving into the machine shop from the erecting shop :Lol: (all in a 20ft. shed) I have started on the HP valve, initially just squaring up in the mill ready to mark out

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2016, 11:09:59 AM »
Looking excellent! The final drive gear castings look a bit different to mine; are they original Filby castings?

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2016, 02:11:45 PM »
The castings came from John Rex,  Andrew.   

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »
Oooops, I think I may have asked the same question before.  :embarassed:

However, your righthand final drive gear is different to mine around the holes for the drive pin. Yours seems to follow the pattern of holes, whereas mine is just a circle. May be the pattern has been simplified over the years?

Andrew

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal