Author Topic: General Gordon Ferry  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
General Gordon Ferry
« on: August 19, 2020, 08:56:30 AM »
I have just started on No. 4 model since Covid19 decided to keep me mostly at home. It will be my interpretation of what the engine room and paddle wheel may have looked on the ferry boat General Gordon. The prototype was built in my town, Terrigal, around 1868 and used on the Hawkesbury River just north of Sydney. To get the proportions looking right between the paddle width and the hull I have had to offset the crosshead slide block. It looks a bit strange but I couldn't see any other way.
The cylinders are started having machined the cylinder itself and the valve block, both in cast iron.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline cnr6400

Re: General Gordon Ferry
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 12:14:51 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 12:28:35 PM »
Great project Robert,
One of my other great interests is paddle wheel riverboats, the American type. Years ago I built a model of one and through all of my study and investigations I wasn't aware of the stern wheel type being used in Australia. I thought that most were of the side wheel type. I'll definitely be following along!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 02:07:53 PM »
Following along here too!

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 08:21:07 AM »
The cylinder support brackets were next and a fair bit of work needed in these. I utilised my home made rotary table to radius the ends to match up with the cylinder flanges at 27mm dia. A start has been made on the fixing bolt holes between the bracket and cylinder, they will be fitted with 8 BA studs and nuts.
I have made some more amendments to the drawing to show the valve drive rod offset system and some minor changes around the engine bases.
Robert

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 01:34:23 AM »
Having cleaned up the cylinder assemblies of the "cooked" solder flux, I superglued them to the support brackets. I then made a mandrill to the diameter of the 8 BA clearance hole size so I could align the holes up for tapping into the cylinder flanges. I have used this method previously with success. For small taps I utilise my homemade tap wrench which is just a bit of steel turned up to fit into a bush in the chuck and a 40mm dia. wheel. It gives a good "feel" whilst tapping and I have never broken a tap with this.
Robert

Offline tghs

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »
very nice and precise small tapping fixture, I may have to turn one out for myself,, made this one a while back
what the @#&% over

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal