Author Topic: 20 cc Horizontal 2 Stroke Diesel  (Read 82381 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: 20 cc Horizontal 2 Stroke Diesel
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2016, 11:00:31 PM »
Roger,
I think that I missed your 2 stroke Diesel build, due to my own focus on my own engine build. I have read through the whole build today. My first mill was a Rusnok, great machine high quality but only about 4 inches of Z travel. I quickly took things to work to use the Chinese Bridgeport clone. You have come up with some ingenious ways to make your equipment do what you need. My hat's off to you! A question about the fuel system. Are you going to use injection & if so doesn't that use a rather microscopic hole for the injector? I must admit to knowing very little about 2stroke Diesel's and hope that this runs like a champ so I can see the follow up tractor build. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2016, 06:02:32 AM »
Roger, I am still with you, following along quitely.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2016, 08:16:17 AM »
Thank you both  :ThumbsUp:

Art, the development of the fuel injection system is in another thread:

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,4906.0.html
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »
Catching up here Roger.
You say the parting op was tense? Downright scary to me.

:ThumbsUp: and  :popcorn:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2016, 04:51:03 PM »
Catching up here Roger.
You say the parting op was tense? Downright scary to me.

:ThumbsUp: and  :popcorn:

There is an advantage in having low powered belt driven machines, if I am not too comfortable I leave the drive belt slack so if anything goes wrong I get a smell of burning rubber rather than shrapnel everywhere  :)   
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2016, 06:45:57 PM »
Hi Roger

Thank you for your reply - I had not realized (or remembered  :noidea: ) that it's a kind of historical engine.

There is an advantage in having low powered belt driven machines, if I am not too comfortable I leave the drive belt slack so if anything goes wrong I get a smell of burning rubber rather than shrapnel everywhere  :) 

:ThumbsUp: - yes the rubber ting is just kind of unpleasant, where as the alternative is downright scary  :help:

Per

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2016, 04:56:53 PM »
I tapped the cylinder fixing holes for the mounting plate M4. Unfortunately the holes in the mounting plate did not line up so I will have to remake it  :(  The holes were originally marked out with a protractor. I will need to devise a way to divide them in the lathe  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2016, 06:52:55 PM »
Back in the workshop after some travelling. As the R&D department was closed due to snow I did a bit more on this one.

I decided that it would be better to set out the holes in the cylinder mounting plate on the rotary table and so machined a new blank with a 6mm hole to match the hole in the RT.

This all went without problems and I used the tailstock centre to align the plate on the faceplate for boring. I fitted the chuck guard from my mini lathe again to stop the swarf being thrown right across the cellar  ::)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:00:15 PM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
After chamfering the cylinder side I could try it on the cylinder, success  :cartwheel:

I then made a start on the crankshaft. This is the other half of the 15x60mm Ck45 flat used for the gas engine crankshaft. I squared up the ends with a rather dubious milling set up. I was using a 14mm endmill at 365rpm  in two passes. At 0.5mm depth everything was happy but increasing the depth to 0.8mm produces squeals and chatter. Reducing the feed from 40mm/min to 20mm/min didn't help  :headscratch:

I marked it out, centre drilled for the shaft and crankpin and then hacksawed and chain drilled out ready to turn the crankpin.

The setup for the initial turning is a little tight but should work  ::) I will rough the journals to 13mm and then leave it for a few weeks to relax/bend as it wishes.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »
On with the crankshaft. So far I have used 5 different tools, 8mm left and right for facing the webs, 8mm straight for the middle of the crankpin and 6mm left and right for the ends. The final finishing cuts will be done with a blade type parting tool.
The tailstock was used as the carriage stop in one direction with a normal stop in the other direction.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2016, 04:17:39 AM »
Hello Roger, I am following your build with great interest - I hope to build a scale replica of an Electro-Motive Division 567 engine a long (loooong) time into the future, and I can learn a lot from your pioneering work :)

Will you harden the crankshaft after the machining is done?
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2016, 06:53:50 PM »
I won't harden the crankshaft. I think that even with a good electric furnace (which I don't have) the chance of distortion would be too high.
It is a .45% carbon steel so in it's normal cold rolled state it will be more than adequate for the likely running time of this engine (if it ever runs  ::) )
Heat treatment, like gear cutting, is another skill I need to learn and is another set of equipment to acquire  :headscratch:   
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2016, 07:54:58 PM »
(if it ever runs  ::) )

Of course it will. You have all the necessary ingredients.

And we're here to watch it run.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2016, 07:24:56 AM »
Hi Roger, I am following along with much interest. I have never made a crankshaft this way until today,but I think it is time to do it soon. Thanks for showing it.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2016, 07:00:47 PM »
A bit more crankshaft. I cut out the first shaft and used one of the offcuts to make a bridging piece to take the end thrust from the centres. The M5 threads will be require to hold the balance weights on.

This shaft will be rough turned to 13 mm. When I do the other end it will be held in a collet. I have set a carriage stop just before the webs to reduce the risk of a crash due to lack of attention.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal