Author Topic: Inline 4  (Read 7563 times)

Offline john mills

Re: Inline 4
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2021, 07:54:01 AM »
How tight a fit did you have you could have relieved in the centre  would make it easer to get in with full size engines we always finished machined after fitting.
John

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2021, 07:31:17 PM »
How tight a fit did you have you could have relieved in the centre  would make it easer to get in with full size engines we always finished machined after fitting.
John

The size I attempted was .003 if I remember correctly.
I think that the finish is what gave me the most problems though. I also don't have a press to make life easier.
Making pretty holes isn't in my skill set yet =)

I will eventually give it another go on another build. Most likely a single cylinder engine at that point.

Offline john mills

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2021, 08:33:31 AM »
when i fitted sleeves to about 3" bore thin cast iron  into alloy blocks did not use much more than that heated the bock to it would make moisture sizzle then could check the size to see it had clearance then the sleeve would slide in to sit on the step almost drop if it stops
moving it will quickly heat up and be stuck.with only a short area of contact it can have a tighter fit than when it contacts all the way.
if you have to press it takes to long and will heat up and be tight again .to press in a smooth finish and plenty of oil it should go in.
john

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2021, 08:22:36 PM »
Just take it slowly  :) You are not building a racing engine, Loctite or similar will be fine to hold the sleeves without distortion. I tend to make my valves from stainless steel screws/bolts. this reduces the amount of machining.

Best regards

Roger

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2021, 10:40:21 PM »
Just take it slowly  :) You are not building a racing engine, Loctite or similar will be fine to hold the sleeves without distortion. I tend to make my valves from stainless steel screws/bolts. this reduces the amount of machining.

Thanks. didn't even think about using a bolt / screw, Though I did end up with 6 feet of 3/4 W1 drill rod and a pile of small 0.109-0.12 rods that were cheap enough. =) I may just use the small rods and make it 2 piece, rods are already nice and smooth =)

Offline AlexS

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2021, 01:28:44 AM »

Thinking of making the valves in 2 pieces. wasn't sure if anyone has done it on here or not, but I figured it might be easier to work with.

Very cool work!

Making valves from two parts is doable. The nice thing is that you can order the valve stem with fitting tolerance. And solder both parts silver.

Offline AlexS

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2021, 01:33:03 AM »

Also a big + is that bolts or the head are forged on it. What about making a crankshaft out of two big bolts?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal