Supporting > Tooling & Machines

Worden MK 3 tool and cutter grinder

(1/52) > >>

vcutajar:
If you can't see the photos of this build suggest you go here:
https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Worden_1.html

Well, here I am; again.

I am starting a new project, and from the title of this build it is obvious that it is not going to be an engine.  I have been thinking of making this tool for a while as my results in free hand grinding of lathe tools is, to say the least, atrocious.  Taking an advantage of a lull in my Corliss build, I ordered the kit last week from Hemingways. It arrived yesterday in less than a week.

Box was not damaged and when I tried to pick it up from the floor I was surprised how heavy it was. No wonder the delivery person did not look too happy. It weighs about 25kg!!  Managed to get the box to the garage and opened the box to see what's inside.  Everything inside was neatly packed.

There were two carton boxes, one containing the electric motor and the other one the rest of the electrical hardware and two bags of metric nuts and bolts.  All the bar stock and the steel prefabricated frames were neatly bubble wrapped.  There was also some paperwork included which consisted of

* 10 A3 sheets of technical drawings
* A set of construction notes
* A set of notes of how to use the finished tool.

I know that there was a write-up on the Model Engineers Workshop but I just could not find it or I do not have that particular issue but I managed to find on the internet another build write-up (http://www.jeffree.co.uk/Pages/worden/worden.htm) which I intend to use in conjunction with Hemingways construction notes.

I then opened the box for the electric motor to have a look at it, and that's when my heart sank.  Motor is damaged!! On closer inspection it was determined that both motor mounts were broken.

The good thing is that both mounts can be easily replaced.  So at 05:00pm I sent an email with the photo to Kirk at Hemingways.  At 10:00pm received an email from Kirk saying that he will send me two new mounts.  Thumbs up to Kirk.

Vince

Jo:
 :o I had a broken foot with a motor I purchased  >:( Luckily the supplier had a stock of spare feet it seem this happens all too often

Looking forward to seeing your build Vince. It is really nice having a cutter grinder at home  ;D

Jo

vcutajar:
Jo, I got the same impression from Kirk's reply. It seems these motors don't travel well.

Vince

Jo:
I just found a couple of nice pictures of one of these cutter grinders:

Martin who built it thinks it is the best thing he ever built  ;)

Jo

b.lindsey:
Looks like a great project Vince. Sorry about the motor feet but it sounds as if their customer services has that sorted out already. Will be looking forward to your progress on this.

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version