Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 136707 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #615 on: July 31, 2016, 08:58:10 PM »
I'm with Vern, nice to see it started again.  I like the brown also,  really makes the brass pop.  Some deep gold striping,  discreetly applied,  would be nice too  :stir:

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #616 on: July 31, 2016, 09:00:20 PM »
That  is also a possibility Cletus. The striping tool has been feeling neglected  :ROFL:

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #617 on: July 31, 2016, 09:29:57 PM »
That  is also a possibility Cletus. The striping tool has been feeling neglected  :ROFL:

Bill

I'll have my shop elves pick it up, got some engines that could use the stripes!   :lolb:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #618 on: July 31, 2016, 09:48:02 PM »
Send 'em on down Chris, but tell them to bring some cooler weather with them in exchange  ;)

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #619 on: July 31, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »
Send 'em on down Chris, but tell them to bring some cooler weather with them in exchange  ;)

Bill

Wish we had some cooler weather to send, we are heading back well up into 90s again this week, we are way low on rainfall this year too. I am heading down to Indiana soon for a few days, looks to be real hot, real humid there too. Glad I am not working in air conditioned office/lab anymore, found that I have acclimated to the hot weather much better post-retirement. Be sure to let your shop-elves hang out in the fridge once in a while, they get real cranky when they are hot...  :ROFL:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #620 on: August 01, 2016, 12:37:48 AM »
OH yeah, I have a little shop fridge for them. Even have a little table and chairs in there so they can play a few hands of cards as they cool down. Have to be careful though that they don't get too chilled and start turning blue. Sometimes wish it was big enough for me to get in there with them!!  :lolb:

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #621 on: August 01, 2016, 01:25:06 AM »
Hey Bill

Good to see you back on the P&W!  Nothing wrong with brown: some of the best engines ever made were painted brown ;)

Dave

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #622 on: August 01, 2016, 02:52:53 AM »
Bill,
Glad to see you back on the P&W.  Regarding the striping tool, here's a photo from the March 1971 issue of Gas Engine Magazine for inspiration.

Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #623 on: August 07, 2016, 04:21:04 PM »
A question for Todd.  I am thinking as to connecting the water jacket piping to the cooling tower, and have ordered and received the necessary fittings (ells) and brass tubing from PMR.  I also ordered two 3/16-40 unions as I was thinking about using those rather than a short length of silicon or pvc tubing for the final connection. I realize that the length of the tubing would need to be very close since both the tower and engine base are hard mounted to the wooden platform. Is there a reason I should NOT give this a try and just go with flexible tubing?  I think the all metal tubing with the unions would look better but not if at the expense of function. Any thoughts?

Bill

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #624 on: August 07, 2016, 05:19:10 PM »
Hello Bill,
Hard-piping is fine.  I prefer that myself as it looks better.  As long as you've got a pair of unions in there you should have no problem.  The plastic or rubber tubing is easier to pipe up as it adds a little more flexibility.  :-)  At this scale expansion due to heat is negligible.

Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #625 on: August 07, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »
Thanks Todd. I will pursue the hard piping option then.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #626 on: August 08, 2016, 12:15:50 AM »
This afternoon I modified the coolant outlets on the cooling/fuel tower, in order to add threads for hard piping unions. Photo 1 below shows the way it was with just plain 3/16" OD tubes sticking out. Photos 2 & 3 show the modified arrangement with the unions temporarily installed.  I did have to de-solder the old tubes and replaced them with two new ones already threaded on the union end.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #627 on: August 08, 2016, 12:43:08 AM »
Bill, those unions look great!  :ThumbsUp: They're going to add a lot to the look of this engine..........as will the subsequent piping.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #628 on: August 08, 2016, 12:50:55 AM »
Thanks Jim, it will be a little tricky getting the height of the vertical tubes coming from the water jacket just the right height so that the horizontal tubes are both level and parallel to each other, but doable I am sure. Also getting the lengths just right as well. But I agree it will look much better than flexible tubing.

Oh by the way, you had asked about solder on another thread as I recall. I used the PMR solder in this application and it worked perfectly.

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #629 on: August 08, 2016, 01:52:19 AM »
Bill, remember that elbows are your friend when pipe fighting. Corners thoughtfully arranged can allow you to
compensate for little length 'errors'.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal