Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 138881 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #465 on: April 18, 2016, 01:03:02 AM »
Tom, Good way to put it keeping in mind that the pictures make it look larger than it is in reality.  Stan, I still think it could be done from barstock, and in some ways might even be easier so don't give up on the idea!!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #466 on: April 18, 2016, 01:23:46 AM »
Hey Bill,

Amazing work on those little tiny latch parts! Wow I thought some of the parts that I have been working with lately were small.

The first crank support also turned out very nice! All the attention to the tiny details will certainly insure that this be a very nice running engine.

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #467 on: April 18, 2016, 10:52:39 AM »
Teenie Tiny! Sure is looking good Bill.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #468 on: April 18, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »
Thanks for looking in. The downside of photographing the teeny tiny parts is that even small blemishes look like huge chasms...lol. I hope to finish up the other support casting in the next evening or so.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #469 on: April 18, 2016, 07:53:37 PM »
Bill it looks like you back into the small parts business again. Great results to buddy......... :ThumbsUp:

8) Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #470 on: April 18, 2016, 07:59:55 PM »
Just a temporary detour Don :) I think those are the last two  really small parts, unless something has to be remade for some reason. I am pretty much down to just the flywheels, piston, con rod and valves I think!!  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...now if it isn't just an oncoming train I will be in good shape  :lolb:

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #471 on: April 18, 2016, 09:26:22 PM »
is that even small blemishes look like huge chasms..

Which is why I avoid my wife's magnifying mirror in the bathroom.  :lolb:

Well...I hadn't notice any blemishes. Looking great Bill.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #472 on: April 18, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »
Boy thay is tiny for sure, I'd have to have a couple of warm beers to settle my nerves to work on them  :lolb:  Great job Bill.

Cletus

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #473 on: April 20, 2016, 01:47:08 PM »
Nice parts Bill! and I love your manicure too.
Mosey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »
Thanks guys, haven't had any evening time this week so far, hopefully tonight though. The only good thing about these couple of tiny parts is that they are pretty simple so if I have to remake them for some reason its not a big deal. Got me thinking though about probably the smallest more complex part I have made was. I am thinking it was the crosshead yoke (the brass part in the below picture) for Jerry Howell's half scale Miser LTD sterling engine. Not just small but had have the opening in the middle of it for the mating delrin piece to fin and work smoothly. My recollection is that it was much like machining aluminum foil!!  :lolb:

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #475 on: April 20, 2016, 03:11:56 PM »
I am still trying to wrap my feeble brain around this inertial governor system. Most of the videos I have found seem to be too jerky or to not focus on this particular part of the engines for long enough to really see what is going on. I did find one helpful reference here: https://books.google.com/books?id=pbdfmgEACAAJ&pg=PA43&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=twopage&q&f=false  beginning on page 219. A snippet .pdf of the relevant pages is attached below and provides one of the better explanations of how this thing works though a slow motion video would be even more ideal!!

You may have to enlarge the .pdf to full size to see the drawings better, particularly Figures 122 & 123 which are the relevant ones.

Bill

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #476 on: April 20, 2016, 04:18:03 PM »
Hi Bill,   I've been working on this engine for a couple months and my opinion is the latch pins engage to open the exhaust valve at low RPM when the roller falls in slot of the .125 rod, at high RPM the the pins cannot connect because the roller moves to quickly past the slot to fall down, therefore the exhaust valve stays closed unlike what we're use to seeing with the exhaust valve held open in the miss cycle. Dose this make any sense? It sure doesn't seam efficient. Gary
"Effort equals Results"

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #477 on: April 20, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
Gary, yes it makes sense in a way. What I have trouble seeing is that given the weight of the governor mechanism I can't really imagine the roller NOT falling into the slot regardless of speed. When the engine is running faster that is when you want the roller to fall into the slot, thus locking the exhaust in the open position so you get a "miss" cycle. My understanding is that when the engine is running slow and needs to "hit," somehow the latch pin on the rocker arm must already have travelled beyond the point where it will latch with the pin on the governor arm. Just seems a bit counter-intuitive and why I say a slow motion video of it working would be helpful.

Bill

Offline Chuck Rhoades

« Reply #478 on: April 20, 2016, 05:53:19 PM »
I'll have my vertical out this weekend. I'll make a video turning it by hand and hopefully a light will go off in your head.

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #479 on: April 20, 2016, 06:02:49 PM »
This engine is definitely a different animal, I'm anxious to see the slowmo video
"Effort equals Results"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal