Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 139003 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2016, 01:44:01 AM »
Thanks for looking in Charlie, much appreciated. Dave you are right, if you quit learning, you might as well just hang the mics up. I tell my students the same thing every chance I get, and even more important for them at the beginning of their careers. You gotta practice what you preach though :)

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2016, 01:55:22 AM »
Over the last week I took the wood base to work and applied several coats of Minwax Polyurethane Gloss finish to it (temp and humidity in the garage aren't condusive to it this time of year at home). With that done, I brought it back home and located the holes for mounting the bronze engine base to it, applied tape to both the top and bottom sides to prevent any splintering and drilled clearance holes in the two cross pieces. The base was then temporarily mounted to it with 5-40 hardware. so that is done and shown in the first 3 pictures below.

Had a little more time this evening so also got a start on the timing gear. Faced it, turned the hub, then drilled and reamed it. After parting it off the gear stock, I flipped it around and faced the other side to the overall thickness needed and then checked the fit of the timing gear shaft shown previously. It fit like a glove and looking at it from the hub side, the shoulder of the shaft extends just .001 or .002" beyond the hub to give it some running clearance. I still need to drill and tap two holes in the face of the timing gear but that will require a rotart table set up on the mill and didn't have the time for that tonight. The last four pictures show what was done so far though.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2016, 02:02:42 AM »
Looking might fine.

I may have missed it in an earlier post...where did the gear stock come from?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2016, 02:11:22 AM »
Bill you old dog, you slipped one by me. Looking fine there my brother and ..I.........like.......... :Love:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2016, 02:11:40 AM »
Zee, a short (but long enough length) of gear stock for both the timing gear and the crankshaft driving gear (I think I called that the timing gear in an earlier post by mistake) are supplied with the casting kit. I believe they are both cut from 12L14 stock and machine beautifully. The only issue I had on this larger timing gear was that I couldn't get it centered in the 3 jaw chuck, the jaws grabbed two teeth at the peak and one valley between teeth. Just switched over to the 4 jaw to machine the hub and do the drilling and reaming so I could get it centered well enough.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2016, 02:17:52 AM »
Thanks Don... not much progress but still progress.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2016, 02:34:23 AM »
The only issue I had on this larger timing gear was that I couldn't get it centered in the 3 jaw chuck, the jaws grabbed two teeth at the peak and one valley between teeth. Just switched over to the 4 jaw to machine the hub and do the drilling and reaming so I could get it centered well enough.

Thanks. And your reply answered my other thought. I had wondered about the 4-jaw.
"To work. To work."

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2016, 10:57:52 PM »
Hello all,
I purchase the gear stock (actually called pinion wire) from Stock Drive Products in 5' lengths.  They list the material as "carbon steel;" however, I'm pretty sure it's 12L14 leaded, screw machine steel.  With the hubs, stock gears were out.  Pre-machined gears would have cost me about $35/set so they were out as well.  We felt the gear stock was a good compromise as it fills the goal of not having to cut your own gears and fits in the project budget.

The original kits called for brass, hubless gears with the driver adhered to the crankshaft via Loctite.  Adding the hubs for stability (in the case of the timing gear) and security (in the case of the driver) are among the changes I made along the way before re-releasing the kit.

Although holding directly in a lathe chuck works, a better way to hold the stock is with a collet or a ring.  The driver's od is 3/8" and holds nicely with a collet.  I machined a ring to hold and protect the larger gear.  Accurately bore a hole thru a piece of 1" stock, insert gear stock, tighten the chuck a little to secure.  The small machined section around the outside of the ring is used to indicate and be assured all is centered well.  See pics below.

Incidently, I didn't bother with a rotary table for the tapped holes for the pushrod crankpin or the timing button, but centered the gear under the mill spindle with an edge finder.

Enjoy,
Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2016, 02:10:36 AM »
Not much to add tonight, but I did get the timing gear drilled and tapped for the pushrod crankpin and the timing button. I did use the rotary table and both drilled and tapped these two holes using the same setup so that the threads (especially for the pushrod crankpin would be perpendicular to the gear itself. A couple of pictures of the set-up and the final results are shown below.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2016, 02:24:34 AM »
Nice Bill.

What is that to the left of center?
I don't mean to offend...the part that looks like a rivet with a dimple?
"To work. To work."

Offline Hans

• Commonwealth of Kentucky, USA
« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2016, 02:29:39 AM »
Very tidy work, Bill. Looks nice.

~Hans

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2016, 02:41:58 AM »
Thanks Hans!! Zee it called a timing button. I really haven't gotten into the "sparky" parts of this engine yet and will likely end up using the S/S CDI system so it may not even be needed. If not I assume it will be replaced with the magnet for the Hall sensor, but again am not that far along yet. At the moment it is a 1-72 cap screw whose head has been rounded over. If I end up needing this, I will likely make one from steel so as to avoid the dimple, or a 1-72 hex head screw and machine/round its head. Just didn't have one of those on hand out of steel and don't fancy buying 50 or 100 from Micro Fasteners to use only one.

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2016, 05:39:32 AM »
Good progress Bill.  Following quietly in the background.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »
I was out of town last weekend so didn't get a lot done in the last week but should make some progress today. I have ordered some 3/8" round bearing bronze to remake the links, but before re-doing them I made the third larger link this morning that fits on the cam gear. Mostly just some turning work and a bit of milling but nothing special. The pictures below show this part. Hope to get more done this afternoon before the Big Game.....go Panthers!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2016, 04:13:07 PM »
You must be getting closer to completing Bill? I been seeing some fiddly bits getting done. But progress is progress no matter how small and she's shaping up. Did the gear come with teeth already for trimming or did you cut them? Another question about the Chuck in the vise, what is holding it?

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal