Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 136714 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« on: November 05, 2015, 01:09:01 AM »
A bit of history on this thread first. At this year's Cabin Fever Todd and Joy Snouffer were offering their plans and castings for both the vertical and horizontal versions of the Parsell & Weed hit and miss IC engines. The plans looked very well done so I (and I think Stan also) bought a set with the intention of making it from bar stock rather than castings which I still think can be done. Anyway, about a month or six weeks ago I had an email from Todd indicating that he was making some changes to the drawings (reducing compression and a few other things) and once done would ship out a new set of the drawings to those that had purchased them already. Last Friday, I had another email from Todd saying that the new plans were ready and would ship out this week at no charge....but to those that had purchased them before he would offer a $50.00 discount on the casting sets as well. Well not being one to pass up a bargain...and not wanting Jo to get more than 100 casting sets ahead of me, a few email back and forth between me and Todd and I had a set of the horizontal castings headed towards NC, including the updated plans. Let me add here that Todd is a member of the forum under the name "littlelocos" and also add that the plan set covers both the horizontal and vertical versions of this interesting engine.

The castings arrived today in pristeen condition and very well packed and though I have no affiliation with littlelocos.com this level of customer service and care for details I just had to share. Below are some pictures of the shipment. Picture 1 is of the priority shipping box as it was opened, the plans in the back, casting in the front. Picture 2 is of some of the smaller castings (all bronze), the gear stock, and a couple of pieces of bronze bar stock all neatly packed in a plastic box and cushioned with foam peanuts. Photo 3 is of the two flywheel castings. Photo 4 shows the larger castings, a few more pieces of bar stock and the large base casting. Cletus you will appreciate the fact that the kit includes the CD of construction photos at no additional charge. Photo 5 shows the base casting alone, and the last photo a plastic tube containing a length of small music wire for one of the springs.

More information and pictures of these engines can be seen at www.littlelocos.com

In an age where we are often quick to point out poor customer service, inferior products, and inaccurate drawings...it nice to see a supplier to the hobby doing things RIGHT!!  Many thanks Todd and I am looking forward to starting on this one as soon as I finish the Vickie, if not before. Some of the smaller parts will be ideal for even the Sherline equipment. The Lil Brother casting set, equally inspiring, may be moved behind the Parsell & Weed in the build order as this one really intrigues me and seems to be a straightforward build. I will post updates as appropriate, but am one happy camper to add this set to the casting collection.

Bill
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:12:25 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 01:33:28 AM »
Those are some nice looking castings Bill.

This engine is smaller than the original; maybe 1/2 size?

I picked up an original hard bound book on the Parsell & Weed a number of years ago a Powell's book store in Portland OR. Fun to flip through the pages but I was never sure if I would build one or not.

Looking forward to seeing this one under construction on MEM.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 01:41:07 AM »
Dave, it is a 1/3 scale model. There is more information on the website shown above. I am excited about this one too!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 01:44:40 AM »
Thanks Bill for the link.  I think Santa my be bringing me one also. So we will see next month.

Don

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 07:26:08 AM »
They do indeed look nice castiongs, I'll be following along as I know someone with the larger casting set who I have built engines for in the past. I also have a copy of the book which I think can be found online.

J

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 11:59:42 AM »
Bill, great score it appears. It was nice to have the video "included". I think that's the difference one sees when dealing with a smaller, often times, owner ran business versus a big company. Can't wait for the build to begin. I went to the website and that "Puck" sure looks interesting :thinking: Tell everybody hey.

Cletus

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 12:29:56 PM »
Castings look good in the photos.  It's always great to hear stories of excellent customer service as well.

Offline Myrickman

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 11:51:26 PM »
Nice castings and good customer service certainly makes for a smooth start. Will be following along Bill.
Paul

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 12:54:34 AM »
Thanks for the interest guys. I opened up the plans tonight to peruse them some and check out what has been changed/added. Interestingly enough the serial number of the set I got at Cabin Fever was 1505 (5th set sold in 2015 as I recall), the serial number on the replacement plans is 1505R (revised). Isn't it nice when people pay attention to the small details too.  Really looking forward to getting a start on this one, even if just some bits and bobs from barstock. More to come. The plans come in a comb bound book, just a couple of pictures attached, I don't think Todd will mind that.

Bill

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 03:59:00 AM »
Whattaya say there Bill. Those certainly are some very sleek and well founded castings. The pricing doesn't look too bad either. I'll be watching and enjoying the ride  :popcorn:

BC1
Jim
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:02:24 AM by Bearcar1 »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 07:55:06 AM »
It does look very desirable Bill, I think I might have space enough to mature a set of those castings if I just move a few around...   :naughty:

Well not being one to pass up a bargain...and not wanting Jo to get more than 100 casting sets ahead of me,

As you will recall Bill this years resolution was to try not to buy any more casting sets: I have tried and I have only added another 7 to the other 43 sets (excluding duplicates like the Triples  ;)) and I am/have built 5 so far this year,  I will try to do better next year :mischief:

Jo

P.S. I don't yet know  :hellno: that father Xmas has another 2 casting sets for me
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 08:48:08 AM »
It is a good buy for those of us this side of the pond as $50 shipping is about a third what I would expect to pay for a similar sized engine. Though as its free in teh US there must be some shipping costs built into the base price. Still a good buy.

Bill will you be doing it like the book - all made on a lathe without even a bench drill :mischief:

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 01:09:46 AM »
Thanks Bill and everyone else for the encouragement.  Joy and I are tickled that you like the kit.   :pinkelephant: :cartwheel:

Since the prototype we had at Cabin Fever went to Woody Sins in NY, I'll be building my own engines this year as well.  Hoping to build four between now and Cabin Fever 2017 both horizontal and vertical in both water and air cooled.  These should go a lot faster now that I've built one and won't be taking as many photos along the way.  I'm working on the air cooled patterns now based on a photo I found a few years ago on the Internet.

Thanks again,
Todd.

Offline dsage

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 03:34:07 AM »
For those of you interested in the full sized versions you can have a look at mine. There is a  link to mine running on my site here:

http://davesage.ca/parcell%20and%20weed.html

I built mine water cooled like the original.

I got the incentive to build it from Steve Kahler after seeing his at NAMES a few years ago.
Here is a link to Steve running his air cooled version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgxaWPpy7yM

Both of our engines were built from the book and have 14" flywheels and weigh in at about 90lbs. They run on propane and have the original air/gas mixer intake valve instead of a carburetor and gasoline. Steve designed the nice pedestals and I copied them.

I also added a mechanical piston water pump and eccentric to one side of mine and hid a small computer radiator and fan underneath rather than have a water reservoir.

Enjoy.

Sage
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:43:16 AM by dsage »

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 03:51:57 AM »
Hi Bill,
It looks like a great project and a very unique engine. I'll be following your progress.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal