Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 139295 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 12:12:36 AM »
Thanks Cletus. its not a terribly impressive count at the moment, but I have had a lot of fun none the less, and that's main thing. I may try to take the base to work this week and get it done, mostly layout and drilling some holes, but we'll see. Only three more classes till the end of the semester so things will be hoppin'. Say hey to Lou and DOG for me.

Bill

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 12:23:17 AM »
Hi Bill, I am still following along. This Sherline equipment is well-thought-out, I like it and nice parts too.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 12:32:37 AM »
Many thanks Achim. Glad to have you looking in. For the smaller parts the Sherline equipment works quite well and I am used to working with it now. I have been following along on your Snow build as well...most impressive!!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 01:07:35 AM »
Nice looking (tiny) parts Bill!

Good to see continuing progress on your new project.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2015, 12:46:44 AM »
Nothing to report yet but should make some more progress over the weekend. This week I got the 12-40 tap and die and a few pieces of metal from online metals when they were offering a 30% off sale on any size order. The shipping is still pricey I think but the 30% off the metal order made it a bit easier to swallow at least. Some brass tubing for the gas tank/cooling water tower, a piece of 3/8" brass square for one or two parts, some 1018 mild steel for the main side rods, and some 1/4" drill rod used for various small parts. Will post more as I make some chips.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2015, 12:30:48 AM »
Aside from dyeing some dollhouse shingles today and making my hands a nice shade of reddish brown, I did get a few small things done on the P&W. As I had noted, the 12-40 die arrived this weeks so I finished up the mixer body by threading the end of that (photo 1). The now completed mixer is shown in photo 2.  Next was turning up the governor roller from a piece of .250" drill rod (photo 3) and a couple of 1/16" pins (photo 4). The roller (made from W-1 drill rod) needed to be hardened so that was done (photo 5) and then cleaned up and fitted to the governor rocker (photo 6). With those little bits made, I turned to working on the two side rods. The last photo shows the first couple of steps completed on one of them. The opposite end will be turned down smaller and the end threaded to 8-32 (as soon as I find my 8-32 die). I know I have one somewhere  ::)

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 12:39:08 AM »
Nice photos, beautiful work, and more progress on the P&W; looks like you had a pretty good day Bill.

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2015, 12:50:51 AM »
Good to see more progress Bill, those little bits will be out of the way and you'll be on your way to the bigger stuff. The close enough machine shop executives are watching you buddy so don't mess up.......... :lolb:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2015, 12:56:31 AM »
Thanks Dave and Don. Fortunately there are plenty of small bits to go so I'll keep the Sherlines as busy as I can :)

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2015, 01:11:45 AM »
Hi Bill

Will you be able to do any work on the castings on your Sherline equipment? Also I was wondering if you do single point threading on your Sherline Lathe; and if their system works pretty well?

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2015, 01:21:08 AM »
Dave, yes, many of the castings can be machined on the Sherline machines also. Just haven't gotten to them yet. The main support casting will however require a full size machine or at least that is the best option for doing it. I do have the thread cutting attachment for the Sherline lathe but in all honesty, I have not tried it yet. I find it much easier and more consistent to use dies in a tailstock die holder though not under power. The die holder and live center just keep things centered as the thread cutting is done manually. I had purchased that attachment for some very abnormal threads that will be required for the Wright 1903 engine, though that one has been on hold for a long time now. Eventually I will get back to it though and that is when the thread cutting attachment will begin earning its keep.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2015, 01:28:02 AM »
Thanks Bill

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2015, 04:42:52 AM »
Nice work, Bill!  I agree, you do take great photos!

That was one of my problems with my Taig lathe - no way to do threads.  There were several examples on the internet of way's people had worked around it, but I chose to work around it by asking for a new lathe for Christmas a couple of years ago :)  I've Never regretted that!  Still use the Taig lathe from time to time, though its currently lost it's bench space to the tool grinder I recently made.  I just need a bigger shop!

I'd love to hear how the Sherline thread cutting works when you get around to it, Bill. I'll expect a thorough report! :)

KIm

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2015, 05:03:17 AM »
Hi Bill, nice picture of your heat-treating department.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2015, 07:30:36 AM »
Good progress on all the fiddly little bits  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal