Author Topic: Badger Steam & Gas Show 2015  (Read 7599 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Badger Steam & Gas Show 2015
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:48:09 PM »
I thought you would enjoy some photos from the local Badger Steam & Gas show. I spent yesterday at the show near Baraboo, WI. And if I do this right there will be a link for the slideshow. Still kind of a rookie at this slideshow thing. :)
Art

http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/Art-K/slideshow/Badger%20Steam%20and%20Gas%20Show%202015
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Badger Steam & Gas Show 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:05:26 PM »
Thanks Art, the slide show worked perfectly, and a nice show judging from the pictures. Thank for taking the time to take and post the photos!

Bill

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 12:41:19 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to take and post the photos. Lots of cool stuff that I have not seen before.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:13:34 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures Art; there is some real nice models there!

It would be interesting to know more about the model with the wood gear; is it a hot air engine? Also nice to see some of Jerry K's work.

Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 03:31:09 AM »
Dave,
If you're talking about this one.

Yes it is a sterling engine. Apparently he got it nonworking from some guy in Texas. The arm along the side was in the original build. He made some modifications shortened that arm changed the linkage and got it working. The replacement arm is actually wood. The present owner is Wesley Bosch of Atwater, MN. I have a 13 second video of it running If you are interested.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 06:01:38 AM »
Hi Art, thanks for sharing all these pictures with us. I am always happy to see what ins going on around the model engine  world. If you will find the time to post the video of that special Stirling would be great. There are some Stirling guys in our German forum, they would be happy if they could see it in motion and me too.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:43:42 AM »
Thanks for those Art, some nice engines there. I will store the pumpjack photos as I have  VJ Monitor kit to build.

J

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 07:55:40 PM »
That's the one Art,

Interesting engine, and it appears to be well made.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 10:26:51 PM »
Hi

Here are some more pictures of models at Baraboo.

I was set up next to the model building with my 2” Case and Fox Silage chopper.

There were two additional 2” Case Engines with some young engineers.  The two boys have been restoring one of the engines under the tutelage of their uncle.  This was its first time out and they were enjoying the day.  The uncle made that really nice Case water wagon.

A 12 year old  boy, Adam, is learning from his grandfather and has made a small cannon. He is now building a Tesla Turbine, see inset.  My wife was speaking with him and he is also learning how to quilt from his grandmother, he brought in a picture to show her and it was really fine work.

Next to me was fellow with his Fairbanks running a 2” scale Case Silage Chopper.

Out in the Gas engine area I came across a model of a Gade Railroad Car, using ¼ scale Gade.  You can see the actual photo of the original Gade Car below the model.

I also came across two model side shaft engines – a Lawson and a Wisconsin.

It was great to see some young folks getting involved.

Bob

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »
Bob, Dave, Achim, and everyone,
Here is the you tube video of that Sterling engine.
[youtube1]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ-Bc5GGH8E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ-Bc5GGH8E</a> frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube1]
Wesley said that he moved the top of the link down so that it was more in line with the crankshaft. Also there was enough parasitic drag with the coolant water pump that it didn't realy have much left, sure looks cool though. I did have one more video of a more traditional Sterling.
[youtube1]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfyWAPj7Zy4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfyWAPj7Zy4</a> frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube1]
Bob I am sorry I missed the opportunity to meet you formally. I was there Saturday only and spent most of my time with my engine stuff right next to Adam's grandfather. I did meet up with a high school friend who's nephew has some sort of steam tractor. I did get out and tried to track them down without success. There's always next year.
Art

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 01:16:09 AM »
Art & Bob

Thanks for the pictures and videos; there is some wonderful talent represented there. The Case water wagon is especially nice.

Dave

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 01:39:13 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures guys. It looks like a nice show. I'm glad you posted that second video too Art, of the rhombic drive Stirling.
I can't think of the builder's name, but I enjoy talking Stirling engines with him every year at NAMES.

--TIm

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 02:27:04 AM »
Art

That is the problem  with being an exhibitor, you don't get to see the show but get to talk to lots of people.  Gen and I packed up our
site Sat night and decided to spend Sunday seeing the show.  On Sat I do not think I left the site with all the visitors.

Bob

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 02:31:43 AM »
Tim,
I looked back through my photos but didn't have a name tag for him, not even a still photo. The guy sitting next to me was usually pretty quiet, till we got talking about sleeve valve stuff, Willys-Knight, Bristol Hercules... the most I'd talked with him in the 5 or so years I've been going the the Badger show

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 02:40:12 AM »
Bob,
That is so true, I actually made an effort to get out other than food & drink. I will make sure to go around the corner next year. This is the first year that I registered as an exhibitor in the past I just showed up and set up my stuff. Also in the past I only showed up on Friday as I had a home brew festival on Saturday This year they scaled that back and did it 2 weeks earlier so I had Saturday open.
Art

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal