Author Topic: Whatzit?  (Read 8133 times)

Offline Troutsqueezer

Whatzit?
« on: July 30, 2015, 05:51:12 AM »
I was out in the shed the other day and remembered I had a small machine shop buried underneath all that dust, so I made one of these.  Do you know what it is? Should not be too hard to guess...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Whatzit?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:16:29 PM »
Hi Dennis....long time no see!!  I haven't a clue as to what it is, but did notice that the reliefs on the left and right of the base piece are cut at an angle. And what looks like a pencil slot could be for a paintbrush so my wild guess is some kind of parts holder for use in painting. Whatever it is it's a nice one!  :LittleDevil:

BIll

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
Aw c'mon Trout,  don't make us squeeze it out of you  :lolb:

E

Offline Troutsqueezer

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 05:03:39 AM »
Hey Guys, it's been awhile. Retirement is distracting me. I got more actual work done when I had a job.

I'll take a pic that shows it in action. It's really not that exciting but for what it is, I haven't seen better.

I had mklotz in mind when I made it. As I recall, he's always making something that is useful when it comes to building or working on other things.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:07:10 AM by Troutsqueezer »

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »
I think we need a hint, its great to see you back.
                                               Gary
"Effort equals Results"

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
Slicing station for kippered herring? Obviously upside down.
No idea.
Mosey

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »

Slicing station for kippered herring? Obviously upside down.
No idea.
Mosey
Mosey, you're thinking within the square. I mean, how often do you really kipper your herrings? Great thought though, I've no idea otherwise. Hugh.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 02:40:54 PM »
I had mklotz in mind when I made it. As I recall, he's always making something that is useful when it comes to building or working on other things.

Thanks for the compliment but I have to admit total cluelessness on this one.  I will say that it's pretty enough that I want one despite not knowing what it is.  Don't keep us in suspense too long.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 03:25:33 PM »
It looks like one of those tools used for converting hard-coded calculations into proper spreadsheets.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 03:34:59 PM »
[1] Maybe an aid to making P.C.B.'s ??

[2] I used to have a fixture vaguely like that for use when doing microscope slides, but yours looks far too robust.

I agree with Marv. It looks very desirable and I think you should make one for all of us ...  ;D

Dave

Offline Mosey

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »
We should have a team building contest, certainly intra-Atlantic, including Down-under of course.
Steamer will be our Captain.
Mosey
PS (Always kipper my salmon)

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 10:07:31 PM »
It's the bottom half of a Trout Squeezer, of course.  :ROFL:  The trout is placed on the adjustable table and the assembly is placed in a hydraulic press, which then squeezes the juice out of the trout and it collects in the grooves on the base.  :shrug:

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 11:17:04 PM »
It's the bottom half of a Trout Squeezer, of course.  :ROFL:  The trout is placed on the adjustable table and the assembly is placed in a hydraulic press, which then squeezes the juice out of the trout and it collects in the grooves on the base.  :shrug:

Hmm, gin and just a smidgen of trout squeezings stirred, not shaken, and garnished with a sliver of anchovy.  Sounds delicious.  But what to call it?  Trout are in the salmon family so perhaps the salmonini? 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Mosey

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 03:28:04 AM »
In a hurry, you could call it the "Salmon Rushdie"
Sorry about that.
Mosey

Offline Troutsqueezer

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 04:53:20 AM »
Sorry to keep you in suspense but I was busy taking naps today and sitting in my Panasonic massage chair, then the wife wanted to go see Mission Impossible and then come home and play video games. Yes, the wife likes to play video games! Cool, huh?

I've got a few of these toys now and it's necessary to lift them to remove the wheels and spin it around as you're working and they do break almost every time you go out to the track. The only available work stand on the market is made of cheapo plastic and I needed something with some heft. All the boys at the track want one. I would make more and sell them but man, my arms got tired  cranking that table back and forth, back and forth, up and down. It's one thing to make small engine parts, quite another when you've got a 10" long, half inch thick piece of aluminum to machine.

The bottom of the RC fits snugly into the brass tracks. It was fun to make. Maybe I should make another steam engine... perhaps when the weather cools down....maybe....perhaps...we'll see...

Good to see that you guys are still active.

Dennis

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 07:23:08 AM »
Dennis

It was your extra pockets that confused me

Nice work and a great car.

Time to go CNC and set up a production run , get a web site and sell world wide , doh forgot you just finished work

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »
Nice Dennis...I think Dave (steamer) will be wanting one of these if you have been following his (and his son's) "At the track" thread. Keep up the good work...um relaxing :)

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 03:46:31 PM »
Make, as an accessory, a long V-block of foam rubber to fit the table and you can sell it to model ship builders who need to hold delicate hulls in various orientations while they affix rigging, deck furniture, etc..

Diehard modelmakers will pay big bucks for exotic tools with which to impress their fellows.  (Just ask anyone on this forum.)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »
Agree with Marv. It's like a ½" mike.
Best,
Stan

Offline Troutsqueezer

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 07:08:20 PM »
I've strayed from machining forums for the last few years as you guys know, so I wasn't aware that Dave had a thread going with an RC topic. I will definitely search for it tonight and maybe chime in so Dave knows what not to do in the hobby.

Ship building - I know lots of people are into it and I suspect you may be correct, Marv. They probably do need or would like to have something like this. This beast must weigh 10lbs so it is rock-steady and ready for the Titanic. Problem is, I would have to do as Stuart suggests and buy myself a CNC setup 'cause my creaky old shoulders wouldn't stand up to the task of making too many more. Perhaps the better way to go is to sell the plans. If Dick Upshur could do it, maybe I can too. After all, this is a complex piece of machinery, as you can see.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »
Dennis, you best get settled in well...Dave's thread is now some 90 pages long. He and his son have done very well I various classes of cars. There are some great videos too!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal