Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 117903 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #810 on: November 23, 2022, 05:36:31 PM »
Let me share my appreciation for those pictures too!  The exploded view and the assembled view - very nice!

That's incredible that you could assemble it in 10 minutes!  It would take me WAY longer than that to assemble the parts!  You're fast!

Kim

Online gadabout

« Reply #811 on: November 23, 2022, 08:51:23 PM »
Mr Vixen!
Looks superb!
Can it be inserted into the crankcases as is ? Or will you need to pull it apart and assemble it together inside the cases like the first one?
Mark

Offline Admiral_dk

• S°ften - Denmark
« Reply #812 on: November 23, 2022, 09:36:10 PM »
Like Kim - I think it would take me longer to assemble (at least the first number of times) ...!!!

Love the 'Sequence Photos'  :Love:        :cheers:

Per

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #813 on: November 24, 2022, 01:22:54 PM »
Thank you all for looking in and for calling in.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: Your support is always appreciated.

Kim, Per, Mark, assembling the crankshaft may be easier than you imagine. There are only nine bolts to tighten, five on the main bearing centre line and four more on the big end bearing centre line. The dowel pins look after the alignment of each part.

In theory, it should be possible to simply lift the five main bearing caps and drop the crankshaft in place. However, I have found it was necessary to select the thickness of the four spacer shim washers to ensure the crank fits comfortable between the main bearing caps. it's all very tight in there, typically 10 thou either side of the caps.

Cheers   :cheers:

Mike
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 01:26:43 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Oh! sod the journey, lets hit the bar and pool instead.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #814 on: November 25, 2022, 07:34:06 PM »
Mike,
I have taken the holiday to get caught up on some reading and got caught up on your build. Amazing work on the crank build! I will have to file this away in case I have he opportunity to use it on a future build.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #815 on: November 25, 2022, 09:24:24 PM »
Happy holiday Art !!

The Schilling built-up crankshaft, using the intrinsic accuracy of commercial roller bearings for alignment, has a lot to commend it. It does appear to be a great way to build a long, slender, multi cylinder crankshaft. Provided you carry out the machining operations accurately, the final assembly is a quick and simple bolt together process. It eliminates the distortion uncertainties that you get from a billet crank, as it stress relieves itself post machining, or the distortion that inevitable results from a brazed/ welded fabrication.

The 'all roller' bearing (qty 12) crankshaft on my (V8) W165 requires more bolted sections than the roller/ plain bearing crankshaft in Steamer's (V12) Porsche 917 crankshaft. Dave was able to join pairs of his crank-webs with a hardened steel big-end shafts. This significantly reduced the number of components which need to be bolted together. Which can only be a good thing to do.

Our two crankshaft designs are quite different to look at; due entirely to the requirements of the individual engine we are copying. However, they both make full use of the teachings of Hubert Schillings in his book  "Boxer-, Reihen- und V-Motoren als Modell".

At one time, you could download a copy from   https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q8ijzp3h7kqr3fs/AAA_-bbREnB6pBcNP9EZXT1za?dl=0     it may still be there. The text is in German but the drawings contain all the detail.

OOPs, I just checked. It looks like the file has been deleted.   :'( :'(

Cheers   :cheers:

Mike

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 09:32:25 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Oh! sod the journey, lets hit the bar and pool instead.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #816 on: November 26, 2022, 05:40:45 AM »
Mike,
Apparently I jumped on that book when I saw it on line as I do have it as a PDF. My in laws were in from eastern Pennsylvania and we spent most of this week converting the storage room to a bedroom. Storage means stuff that moved in when we bought the house and has been stored ever since. Some of wha came out is gone most won't return.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King