Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 151294 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #645 on: June 21, 2022, 07:52:28 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #646 on: June 21, 2022, 09:25:34 PM »
YES - Great to so this thread get another fine update  :Love:

I was afraid that I would have to ask my Doctor for a Prescription against Withdrawal Symptoms  ;D

Expect soon to have a Full Disclosure about how you Fake the Bolts and Nuts on the Rods :LittleDevil:

Great Parts Mike     :cheers:    :popcorn:

Per

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #647 on: June 22, 2022, 02:30:40 AM »
Love what you did with the rods Mike!!! They look great!   Can't wait too see what you did with the crank!!!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #648 on: June 22, 2022, 11:21:21 PM »
Thanks you all, for your kind words and emojis.

Today was a day of two halves. It started well and ended in a disaster. :'(

I started by making a new machining position on the fixture plate to give better access for adding detail to the con-rods.

I started by running a 1/8" corner radius form tool down both sides of each rod to create rounded edges around where the big end bolts would sit. The rod were flipped over after the first side, to complete the rounded edge.

The next operation should have been to machine a small undercut recess around the big end and little end eyes, to copy the Mercedes con-rods. I bought a brand new 3/8" x 1/8" woodruff cutter specially for this one operation. I created a special toolpath to machine the undercut. Unfortunately, I did not leave adequate clearance above that black high tensile fixture bolt on the left hand side. Disaster :censored:, the brand new cutter hit the high tensile bolt at rapid traverse speed and the high revs for cutting aluminium. There were a few seconds of sparks, smoke and a red glowing woodruff cutter before I was able to stop the machine. But those few seconds were enough to destroy a brand new cutter. Now I have a few days delay waiting for the postman to deliver the replacement and to amend the toolpath to give adequate clearance over the fixture hardware.

That woodruff cutter was supposed to be a HSS cutter ( well that's what I paid for) but it behaved more like a carbon steel one. It did not make much of an impression on the HT bolt but all it's cutting edges disappeared.

Oh well that's how it goes sometimes. You cannot make a nice omelet without cracking the odd egg.

Cheers

Mike
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:48:16 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #649 on: June 22, 2022, 11:30:15 PM »
Bummer on the cutter  but at least it's not a ruined part with many hours in it. Fascinating engine.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #650 on: June 23, 2022, 05:20:17 AM »
Mike, your con rods are beautiful!  Just a work of art.  And I like how you displayed them in the picture like a row of dancing con rods!

Sorry to hear about the loss of the woodruff cutter. Those guys aren't cheap :(  I've dropped (and chipped) a nearly new 1/2" carbide end mill so I know what it feels like to lose a brand new tool! 

I'm sure you'll get it sorted out, but it's no fun!

Tomorrow will be better!
Kim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #651 on: June 23, 2022, 07:07:55 AM »
Is there enough of the cutter left for it to be used for that custom shaped one or is it beyond resharpening?

Rods are looking good

Offline mikemill

« Reply #652 on: June 23, 2022, 09:02:46 AM »
Mike

You have my sympathies re the cutter, I have had the same unpleasant experience.

As the machine moves in rapid mode you are just transfixed you know you have to hit the E stop but there is just not enough time as it all happens in tenths of a second.

I know adjust my clearance hight for each job. Good to se you are back on the Merc.

Mike

Offline john mills

« Reply #653 on: June 23, 2022, 09:41:13 AM »
your parts are looking great .
The rapid moves are can always be trap as the part can be different done at slow speed to check the parth .some times i put a extra position in the program to make sure it goes around the clamps .You never have enough time to hit e stops its usually all over by the time you think about it.We don't like it but sometimes cutters are lost in setting.its fascinating watching the parts take shape .my programming for years was just g codes it was a dream when i went to a conversational control when you can see the tool path be fore cutting but it can still be tricky.    John   

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #654 on: June 23, 2022, 11:19:57 AM »
Thank you all for your messages of sympathy for our dearly departed woodruff cutter. They are so important at times like this.

I want you all to know that the the end came quickly and suddenly, the poor cutter did not suffer. A short committal service was held; just close friends, no flowers, no music or wake. The cutter was gently tossed into the box containing the remains of all it's predecessors.

Actually, the cutter was the cheapest I could find on e-bay. It did not seem to be hardened properly, so may not have completed the task anyway. The replacement is better quality, from a well respected supplier, but still not of the highest quality available. It only needs to last long enough to machine these aluminium con-rods.

It only goes to prove the old saying "Buy cheap... buy twice"

My machine has two e-stop buttons. A big red mushroom top button which kills all the power to the machine, spindle motor and PC. The second button is the Esc button on the keyboard, which simply stops the XY motion. You can never get to either quick enough to do any good.

Cheers

Mike

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #655 on: June 23, 2022, 08:53:52 PM »
I'm glad you are coping with your loss  ::)

When I am commissioning a new facility the first check is always that the Estop does what it is meant to do. The next checks have often required the Estop  :toilet_claw:
Best regards

Roger

Offline kvom

« Reply #656 on: June 24, 2022, 02:12:29 PM »
I've hit fixtures with rapids before, so I feel your pain.  Always needed to retram the head afterwards.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #657 on: June 25, 2022, 05:19:16 PM »
The Forum has gone unusually quite these last few days. A number of topics (including this one) have hung around on the 'Recent Posts' board or three or four days without being replaced.

I did not have to wait long for the replacement woodruff cutter. It was delivered by the Postman (from RDG Tools) first thing this morning. It only took little more than an hour to machine the grooves in all sixteen con-rods.

It didn't go quite that smoothly. The 3/8" diameter cutter was in fact 10.0mm diameter rather than the expected 3/8"(9.525mm) diameter. The groves in first con-rod were deeper than required, so I had to redo the tool-path using the new diameter. I managed to complete all 16 remaining con-rods with out further incident. It always pays to start of with some extras as you never know what might hit the fan along the way.

The tiny 1,5 litre W165 engine was very high revving for its day, red line at about 8000 RPM. MB thought it necessary to lighten the big and little ends as much as possible by machining these grooves; while maintaining the E value ( bend strength) with the two outside webs. Quite common place these days, but not 85 years ago.

One more step crossed off the list.

Cheers

Mike

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #658 on: June 25, 2022, 06:42:02 PM »
Mike was it also 3mm wide rather than 1/8" ? I bought a 10 x 3 one by YG-1 the other day but it was meant to be that metric size though in the end have not used it for the job it was bought for.

Did catch a bit of Goodwood live streaming on You-tube yesterday and there was an Auto Union going up the hill as well as some other oldies. Should still be available on the net.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #659 on: June 25, 2022, 07:14:43 PM »
Hello Jason,

It was marked as a 403 and measures 1/8" wide but 10mm diameter.  :facepalm:

I will have to look out for the Goodwood Festival of Speed on You tube. Goodwood is just half an hour down the road, unfortunately they have hiked up the price of admission so high that genuine motor enthusiasts can no longer afford to go. You now need to be part of the wealthy 'right crowd and no crowding' set.

Auto Union were based in Zwickau, East Germany, they lost all their Silver Arrows cars to the Russians. So the car you saw would have been one of the replicas built by my friends at Crosthwait and Gardiner, specifically for Auto Union. They say £5M a copy.

Cheers

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal