Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 151489 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #540 on: September 21, 2021, 12:04:45 AM »
Mike,
Good to see the progress you're making. Also how you are working within the limitations of your machine. Keep up the great work!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #541 on: September 21, 2021, 12:19:02 AM »
Nice work Mike!
Kudos for doing the extra finishing passes, the floor finish from the adaptive type tool paths look pretty crappy.

Dave

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #542 on: September 21, 2021, 06:22:43 PM »
Hello Dave,

You are quite right, the 'peel' or adaptive toolpaths are intended for roughing away large mounts of material as quickly as possible. Although the floor level is quite flat, the visual appearance is not too nice. I ran a rectangular toolpath over the adaptive to improve it's visual appearance. I dropped the Z zero by 0.001" .

Here you see both covers have been completed to stage two. The cabinet is quickly filling with needle like chips. The adaptive toolpath chips are quite distinctive.

One plate has been set up for the third machining stage. I have re-positioned  X and Y to X -3.5" Y -3.5" and reset the two axes to zero. This will be the new 'part home' for the third machining stage. The part has been located with a 3.0 mm pin, positioned in the centre screw boss and the datum side set at exactly 45 degrees to the bed using a protractor

That should be me, all set for the third machining stage

Stay tuned

Mike

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #543 on: September 21, 2021, 06:28:34 PM »
Looking great - I can't imagine all the setups that would be needed for non-CNC. Do-able, but a whole lot slower!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #544 on: September 21, 2021, 06:35:15 PM »
That's a lot of work!  Looking forward to seeing the outcome of the next steps!  :popcorn:

Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #545 on: September 22, 2021, 12:11:35 AM »
Beginning to look like the part is emerging!!!   some parts just put up a fight...but you're winning!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #546 on: September 25, 2021, 12:17:59 AM »
Well planned set ups & machining Mike!
 Nice work!
  :ThumbsUp:
 John

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #547 on: September 25, 2021, 10:28:08 AM »
Hi Mike, still following quietly along every new chip drooping down.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #548 on: September 25, 2021, 12:56:29 PM »
Thank you all for calling in. Your support is always very welcome.

I have now completed the machining for the first three stages. The internal details of the rear Gear Case have now been completed.

I still have five fingers on each hand. I still have a datum corner, a datum edge and places to clamp the work for the next steps. I have not bumped into any of the clamps (so far) and the cabinet is filling with more and more chips.

The first photo shows the first stage of pocketing out the crankcase area. The big central hole is for the rear shaft seal housing. The strange feature in the middle of the hole is an historic feature on the sacrificial mounting plate

Here the outside edges have been machined away, still leaving material for the work clamps for later stages

The rear gear cover is starting to become recognisable. Note two of the screw bossed have been reduced in height to make clearance for the gear bridges.

Here you can see the inside of the front and rear halves of the gear case. It's frustrating that I cannot yet close the two halves to see how well they fit together. The holes that accept the three bosses protruding from the bridges are not due to be machined until the final two set-ups.

As Dave said, these parts are putting up a good fight; but I'm still winning. :ROFL:

Stay tuned (it still could turn into a disaster movie) :killcomputer:

Mike

« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 04:03:14 PM by Vixen »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #549 on: September 25, 2021, 02:16:03 PM »
"......
As Dave said, these parts are putting up a good fight; but i'm still winning. :ROFL:

Mike...."

Nah......those parts wouldn't dare!!!

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #550 on: September 25, 2021, 03:02:11 PM »
Code: [Select]

Mike...."

Nah......those parts wouldn't dare!!!

I agree with Dave, but I know how you feel. If it was me, I'd be on the edge of my seat the whole time, except I do all my machining standing up!
Regards,
Ron

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #551 on: September 26, 2021, 12:44:00 AM »
... The cabinet is quickly filling with needle like chips….

And they get down inside your shoes and cause a certain amount off hopping around till you stop and dislodge them.  They also get carried into the house where the wiffie finds them with her bare feet. :rant:

Always a pleasure to see the next installment of this build Mike.  You never disappoint.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #552 on: September 26, 2021, 05:44:52 AM »
Mike: That is an intriguing part. It's starting to make sense but I still don't see how it all fits together. Does this cover bolt onto the gear carriers? Could they have used this cover to replace some of the carriers, or is access needed to the complete train for adjustment? I forget, is there adjustment for gear spacing? An amazing build coming along very well. Thanks.

Craig: After several hours of machining, being elbow deep in chips you take a break. I mean an unimaginable number of chips, everywhere. You clean off your clothes and shoes as well as possible, as always. Wash your hands and head into the house meeting your wife in the kitchen. She's holding a single chip and says "look what I found" in a mildly stern voice. Do you 1) say it's amazing you only found one 'cuz there's a million in the shop, 2) explain that the chip she's holding is aluminium which is good 'cuz the steel one's are much worse, 3) accept the chip and offer to reunite it with it's breathern, or 4) simply apologize. I've always gone with #4. Has anyone tried 1,2 or 3?

They also get carried into the house where the wiffie finds them with her bare feet. :rant:
Hugh

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #553 on: September 26, 2021, 06:15:21 AM »
Has anyone tried 1,2 or 3?
Probably nobody who's still married!  :LittleDevil:
Kim

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #554 on: September 26, 2021, 09:07:51 AM »
Hugh, Kim, Craig.

Regarding chips entering the household. I have found a comprimise. I have a machine shop, the wife has a sewing room. She no longer complains about chips on the kitchen floor and I no longer complain when I have to stip down the vacuum cleaner to remove the cotton wound round the sweeper drum. Thats worked for 53 years so far.

Regarding the gear case design. The original engine had a single piece, closed aluminium box casing, about 700 mm by 460 mm, The spindes for the idler gears passed through the casting from the rear. There does not appear to be any means to adjust the spindle position to adjust the gear mesh. They must have achieved it somehow, but those who knew are no longer with us.

I have no aluminium casting facilities, so I decided to machine the gear case in two halves and mount the idler gears on bridges to facilitate gear mesh adjustment. The bridges are attached to the front half of the gear case, the rear half is mostly cosmetic, including dummy raised bearing bosses (yet to be machined). The rear gear case half, bolts to the front with M 2.5 screws through the raised pads and the six bolts around the crankcase area.

The gear case will hopefully look similar to this, you can see the external idler gear bearing bosses. The photo is of different Mercedes engine. I believe this to be an early W154 V12 engine, I do not have any photos of the W165 gearcase.

Stay tuned

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal