Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 151574 times)

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #615 on: October 23, 2021, 07:27:49 PM »
Mike-

The gear covers are works of art.  Well done.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #616 on: October 23, 2021, 08:02:50 PM »
Woa, fantastic result - again ....  :praise2:

Are you doing two engines (I forget) or are the other internal side 'just the pretrial' from the CNC Spindle debate ?

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #617 on: October 23, 2021, 08:35:37 PM »
Wow - digging into that Wow box again - this engine just goes from strength to strength in its build, just superb stuff, superb work there Mike, lovely jubbly - Wow.  Again.

Chris.

:cheers:

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #618 on: October 23, 2021, 08:54:16 PM »
Thank you all for your encouraging comments. They make all the effort worthwhile.   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Yes,  Per, quite correct. I am building two identical engines. One to wash and one to wear, so to speak. A lot of work goes into preparing the CNC toolpaths, so the extra cost in materials and machine time justifies the programming time. Actually, they will not be identical when finished, One will be fully assembled and complete, ready to run, and the other will be another exploded display to show all the details, inside and out,  of the advanced engineering that went into the pre-war Silver Arrows Grand Prix cars.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 09:39:31 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #619 on: October 24, 2021, 02:06:13 AM »
One will be fully assembled and complete, ready to run, and the other will be another exploded display to show all the details, inside and out,  of the advanced engineering that went into the pre-war Silver Arrows Grand Prix cars.
I was just thinking today what a shame it will be when all that great stuff gets closed up inside the finished engine. Now I see your master plan, and I think it's brilliant! :cheers: :cheers:
Regards,
Ron

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #620 on: October 24, 2021, 03:40:36 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: gear covers - works of art!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #621 on: October 26, 2021, 02:25:57 AM »
Thank you all for your encouraging comments. They make all the effort worthwhile.   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Yes,  Per, quite correct. I am building two identical engines. One to wash and one to wear, so to speak. A lot of work goes into preparing the CNC toolpaths, so the extra cost in materials and machine time justifies the programming time. Actually, they will not be identical when finished, One will be fully assembled and complete, ready to run, and the other will be another exploded display to show all the details, inside and out,  of the advanced engineering that went into the pre-war Silver Arrows Grand Prix cars.

Mike

I remember seeing George Lhhurs fantastically small engine models some years ago.  The running engines were fantastic, but he placed exploded versions of the engines on a card near by.  It gave you a real appreciation of the talent involved. 

Your model deserves the same treatment because, as impressive as the finished model will be, seeing all the internal work that went into it will just increase the ‘wow’ factor. :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #622 on: October 26, 2021, 12:34:50 PM »
Mike also did a very impressive 'Dual Engine - one runner and one Exploded' with his Jupiter build - where the 'Exploded Engine' is mounted on acrylic carriers, so all parts are held in the correct positions relative to each other.

It will be great to se this build shown in the same kind af arrangement Mike  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #623 on: October 26, 2021, 01:47:44 PM »
Hello Per,

I am hoping to make a similar exploded display using acrylic carriers for the second W165 engine. It will be a challenge, as it is not as compact as a radial engine

Oh!!,  I only have the one Bristol Jupiter but two Bristol Mercury engines. You can find the 'Bristol Mecury Revisited'  build log at https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9272.0.html

Reply #33 shows the completed Bristol Mercury display

Cheers

Mike

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:51:42 PM by Vixen »

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #624 on: October 26, 2021, 03:08:45 PM »
That exploded display is is just so impressive and fascinating to look at. It inspires me to do something similar one day, but I'd have to go shopping for more patience (or attention span?). :cheers:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #625 on: October 26, 2021, 09:46:26 PM »
Oh!!,  I only have the one Bristol Jupiter but two Bristol Mercury engines.

First I was so happy that I remembered the name of the engine  :whoohoo: - followed by - strange that I can't find the right section of the build in order to link to the display  :???:

SO thank you for setting the record straight Mike  :ThumbsUp:

.... note to self - why didn't you search Bristol instead  :facepalm:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #626 on: October 26, 2021, 11:50:54 PM »
Yes it is!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #627 on: February 19, 2022, 06:46:53 PM »
You may (or may not) have noticed that things have been quiet on this build for a while. I had taken a short break from model engineering and now return with renewed energy.

The first thing I wanted to do was to complete the camshaft drive, gear case at the back of the engine. Most of the parts were made towards the end of last year, all that was needed was to sort out the surface finish and put it all together.

Here is the sequence showing how it all went together.

First start with a bare crankcase

Then add the front half of the gear case

Next, add the crankshaft and magneto drive gears

That is followed by the two cylinder blocks with their four overhead camshafts and camshaft gears

With all the input and output gears in place, it's time to add the three intermediate idler gears

With all those beautiful gears fitted and turning freely, it's time to start covering them up. First comes the rear cover

Followed by the two outer covers over the camshaft drive gears

With the gear case assembled, the two-stage supercharger can be put back on the front of the engine

Here you can see the dry sump located below the crankcase and the 3D printed (plastic) exhaust header

My daughter thought she should also get in on the act She said it was to give a sense of scale to the engine

Cheers

Mike

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 12:23:54 PM by Vixen »

Offline michelko

« Reply #628 on: February 19, 2022, 07:29:00 PM »
Happy to hear from you and your awesome builds.
Keep on building.
Michael

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #629 on: February 19, 2022, 08:19:29 PM »
I had noticed, and was hoping it was just a simple pause to refresh. Your daughter is right, a live person does give a better sense of scale than anything else. But regardless of scale it is a fantastic piece of work and I'm glad you're back on it!
Regards,
Ron

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal