Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale  (Read 156189 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Mercedes-Benz W165 Grand Prix engine in 1:3 scale
« Reply #390 on: May 24, 2021, 07:14:47 PM »
I would have thought a simple punch and die could be turned up quite quickly may not even need to be silver steel for just a few discs of non ferrous gauze

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #391 on: May 24, 2021, 07:59:12 PM »
Thanks for all those useful suggestions.

I think I will make a first attempt by using superglue to bond the mesh to the perimeter of some 23 mm dia aluminium in the 3 jaw, sandwiched by a second piece pressed by the tailstock. Hopefully that will will turn OK with a sharp tool and the superglue will stop the mesh from fraying at the edges. I can be-bond and clean the mesh discs with acetone.

If that does not work, then I will try a simple punch. I have some gauge plate off-cuts, which should work without hardening.

Cheers   :cheers:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #392 on: May 24, 2021, 11:09:27 PM »
Mike,
Another thought is a faucet screen, not sure how big they are or if they're fine enough but just a thought. Looks great by the way. I have a little experience trying to bend 3/16 tube so it come out in the right location. It's not always that easy. Do you still have to solder the tubes in place to the fittings? Lead or silver solder? I have heard the term rats maze for lots of tubes like this.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #393 on: May 25, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »
Hi Mike,
 Stunning work! I’m just gob smacked.

On your brass screen, nice sharp scissors should do the trick, at a guess it’s a reasonably fine mesh, I made some stainless ones years ago and that cut fine. A couple of words of caution DONT USE YOUR WIFES SCISSORS!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #394 on: May 25, 2021, 12:07:17 PM »
Amazing result so far Mike  :praise2:

Not all scissors are useful here - if you got a sharp and 'tight' pair of metal ones they migth make it easy and I'm sure a tight and sharp punch will work very well too.

The big bike is almost back on the road now - I just picked up a new 'declutching mechanism' (outside part on engine) on my way to work today and my first attempt at gluing the new heated grips failed - but thats about it.

Best wishes

Per

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #395 on: May 26, 2021, 04:55:11 PM »
Hi Mike,
this model looks like a real race engine.
Very impressive.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #396 on: June 01, 2021, 06:26:07 PM »
Thanks everyone for looking in and for your generous comments. Achim, it IS a real race engine, it's just a bit smaller than the original.

Now, it's time to make some progress on the cam shaft gear train. Some of you may recall this attempt, last year, at laying out the gear train. Since then, I have received more information about the engine. Interestingly, both pairs of inlet and both exhaust camshafts are mirror images of each other and turn in opposite directions. I had though they would be identical copies, each pair turning in the same direction. The new information means I can delete the left hand 48T idler gear. The simplified gear trail now only has three 50 T idler gears, which meant a slight re-design to move the gear centres around a little.

I have made a start by machining the front face of the camshaft drive gearbox to the revised layout. This important component is physically larger than the travel available on my Emco Mill; so the job had to be completed in four separate set-ups by moving the gear drive plate around on a fixture plate. The fixture plate was made from an off-cut of mahogany left over from making the huge Bristol Jupiter propeller. The gear drive plate was located and secured by a number of M3.0 screws into threads tapped into the wood. The wooden threads survived lng enough to machine the two gear drive plates, but I would not recommend wooden threads for a long production run.  :ROFL:

Here is one of the completed gear drive plates. "Holy Macaroni Batman, he's gone and made a secret Bat Signal"

Here is the new gear drive plate loosely attached to the back of the engine. Next, I will attempt the new bridge plates which carry the idler gears and provide the means to adjust the way they mesh with the four camshaft and crankshaft gears. Chopping out the idler gears will be fun, if not a little tedious.

It's getting quite busy at the back of the engine. So, stay tuned

Cheers

Mike
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 07:51:34 PM by Vixen »

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #397 on: June 01, 2021, 07:07:47 PM »
Hi Mike,
and more impressive.
Sometimes I am missing the good old days with 10 cylinders and nearly 20.000 revs.
But times does change and it is good so.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #398 on: June 01, 2021, 07:18:25 PM »
Achim,  :ThumbsUp:

Back then, it was a V8 doing 8,400 RPM with 2.6 Bar of boost and a toxic devil's chemical cocktail for the fuel. They made a lot of noise and smelled like marzipan or almonds.
Times change

Mike
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:32:04 PM by Vixen »

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #399 on: June 02, 2021, 12:44:11 AM »

Here is one of the completed gear drive plates. "Holy Macaroni Batman, he's gone and made a secret Bat Signal"

And here I thought it was a cross-eyed bat saying “ohhhhhhhh”.  :ROFL:

impressive work as always Mike, can’t wait to see every new installment.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #400 on: June 02, 2021, 01:12:23 AM »
Hi Mike
Nice work on the new pieces!

Dave

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #401 on: June 02, 2021, 05:24:27 PM »
Great work Mike.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: I'd still try a powerful light behind the bat plate on a cloudy night and see if the bat symbol is projected on the clouds (and if the caped crusaders or cops show up)  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #402 on: June 02, 2021, 06:31:15 PM »
I'd still try a powerful light behind the bat plate on a cloudy night and see if the bat symbol is projected on the clouds (and if the caped crusaders or cops show up)  :Lol:

I tried that the other night.

All that happened was two men in white coats came and tried to take me away.

Mike

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #403 on: June 02, 2021, 07:19:04 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #404 on: June 03, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »
Vixen:

I know those two guys, they always say they're from the funny farm.  Did they have that sharp looking jacket that's all sleeves, straps, and zippers with them?

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal