Author Topic: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS  (Read 24945 times)

Offline Gary Brooke

Re: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
Its been along time since I've posted about my engines the simple truth is there's not been a lot off progress. (in fact none) Health and life just got in the way. So I'm glad I started posting about them as I was able to read back and see where we had got to. On the last post i talked about the brake stretcher being a little bit out and should i remake it even though it would never be seen its going to get remade. The first job I'm going to to tackle is the wrongly cut hornblock.
Silver soldering never done any so this could fun.cleaned all the hornblock up and wired a strip off bronze to it. (picture 1) Coated it in flux and put some bits off silver solder next to the joint and cooked it with the blow torch. (picture 2) Should there be blobs off solder like that it look's like it has'nt flowed (picture 3) Have to see how it goes came out off the pickle looking good. (picture 4)
think I' ve gone on long enough so till next time.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2020, 08:12:45 AM »
All's not well in the loco work shop. my silver soldering leaves a lot off practice the repair off the hornblocks was no good. at first glance it looked ok but when milling it back to proper shape the repair just ripped off (photos 1 &2). Going to get a proper blow torch that puts out some heat and have another go. Need to get it sorted as i've lots off soldering to do. Just carry on till i get a new blow torch stay safe everybody keep away from this virus
Rgds Gary

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2020, 01:03:23 PM »
I have very little experience in this area and hope others will chime in.
In your previous post, it seems to me the parts did not get to the needed temperature.
It also seems to me there's way more solder than needed.
A new torch may help.

Again, I don't have the experience.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2020, 01:34:53 PM »
A torch that can get the parts up to temp quickly is very important. Also, which flux are you using? Some of the newer ones will give a longer time before burning off, which helps. Parts must be clean and coated with flux before starting or soot will build up and prevent the solder from flowing in. Last tip is to heat from the far side of the part, letting the metal melt the solder, if you get the flame directly on the solder, it will melt and ball up before the metal is hot enough, and it wont hold. If all is right, the solder should flow along the seam, sometimes a metal pick is handy to push the solder along when its its melted. I had same problems you are seeing before I got a torch with more oomph.

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2020, 10:58:07 AM »
Thanks Zee and Crueby some things to look into new torch on order then have another go.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »
As I'm waiting for new blow torch which could be anytime as things stand at the moment. It's time to focus on one loco at once at least till its wheeled as i have the materials and castings it be rude not to do the tank engine first. the main frames are ready so need to get the stretchers done next. there are a lot off them so we'll start with the motion plate stay this comes from one off the blanks cut months ago. Blued up and marked out (photo 1) then taken over to the drill press clamped down and the corners drilled t give 1/8" rads. (photo 2) After which the waste was cut away leaving it looking a right bodge. (photo  3) Some times you have to think out side the box to hold things for filing (photo 4) So after a few hours with files and sand paper it is now at this stage.(photo 5) Next time well look at the ribs round the out side.
Rgds Gary

Offline nj111

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2020, 10:28:42 AM »
There's a little Model Engineer's book, Soldering and Brazing by Tubal Cain, it's Book 9 in the Workshop Practice Series,  not expensive and will tell you all you need to know to make good joints, Nick
Nick

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »
Thanks for your comment nj111 will have a look for that book at my local tool supplier i know he has a selection off that series. Have to wait till the world gets back to normal. take care out there everybody.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2020, 06:20:24 PM »
Been a good day in the loco work shop. First my new toy turned up this bad boy should just kick out some heat (photo 1) It just had to be put to work the only draw back was the gas bottle was empty. so off for a refill and fired it up brought the horn block up to temp and the silver solder flowed like it should (photo 2) Put it in the pickle bucket and let it sit for a while. As I was on a roll decided to machine it be rude not to still needs a bit more work yet. (photo 3) It turned out rather well cant even see the joint. The only down side is that didn't have enough bronze to do the other one.
Rgds Gary

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2020, 08:10:04 PM »
Excellent! That torch should be able to get the bigger parts soldered well. Getting it hot quick makes a big difference.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »
The loco works is going to get busy over the next few weeks where better to isolate. Moving on i was going to do the motion plate stay ribs but as i need new  8BA taps there now on order. We'll start on the next one which is the driving axle stay. The middle was marked out and the radius drilled  (photo 1) Then a hacksaw was fed in to the holes. Why do hacksaws have a mind of there own? and not want to cut in a straight line (photo 2) It was then filed to shape and cleaned up. (photo 3)
Stay safe and healthy everyone.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2020, 07:03:49 PM »
The 8BA taps are still on order might not get them now for awhile. So moving onto the base off the driving axle stay this is a simple flat plate with curves in the sides which needto be the same (photo 1) Then i was going to do the top plate but the metal that was set aside for this was bent and no good. so will leave that till what materials are left. I've now done the sides off the main stay which are just a hacksaw and filing job. (photo 2)
Hope your all staying safe.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2020, 09:49:44 AM »
More news from the loco workshop. Today where making the horizontal stretcher this is the most complicated so far. So I thought it best to mark it out fully to keep track off where i was (photo 1) Then it was on to drilling out the waste which i assume was to lighten the casting on the full seize (photo 2)  Then had the idea off how to get all the stretchers width the same why not clamp together and file them all at once (photo 3) This way I got them all to 3 7/8" after which filed out the shapes in the stretcher (photo 4) Needing a way to check the radius off the corners turned a gauge and checked and adjusted (photo 5)

Be careful and stay safe everybody
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2020, 12:02:15 PM »
The next episode from the loco works is all about the main horizontal stay. It is the largest off all the stays and the most complicated having the center mount for the rear bogie truck and strengthening ribs. So we start out with the usual 1/8" piece of plate marked out (photo 1) Then all the holes where drilled wait one off them seem s to have gone for a little walk or was it my work shop gremlin leaning on the drill bit. (photo 2) That I will put right after all the hacksawing and fileing is done. My plan for that naughty hole is to put it on the mill and run a end mill to teach it some manners (photo 3) itcould all go horrible wrong. It was fine and there's another middle done.(photo 4)
Stay safe everybody and have the best Easter you can.
Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2020, 08:36:25 AM »
Good morning from the loco workshop. Today is all about the front poney truck stretcher now this will be a departure from the plan. As i found pictures on the web off a actual one so decided to have a go with the new information. i'll post both pictures when its done and you can be the judge how close i've got. So to work the plate was marked out and the corners off the cut outs where drilled ( photo 1) At this stage it looks a right mess (photo 2)  But after a few hours with files it doset look too bad (photo 3)
Stay safe and well everybody.
Rgds Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal