Author Topic: Rubbing alcohol  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Rubbing alcohol
« on: June 25, 2015, 01:03:17 AM »
Hi all,
I didn't know where else to post this so here it is in oddball. I have a friend who cleans out houses for an auction outfit who came across a bunch of rubbing alcohol. He's the sort that would throw it in the bonfire and watch it burn :mischief:. So if anyone is interested let me know and he'll save it for me. I don't know that I could mail it but I am a regular at NAMES, am planning to go to this fall's Mid-Ohio, and go to s.e. Pennsylvania regularly, and like the opportunity to meet fellow model engineer's. I live in south central Wisconsin if that helps anyone.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Rubbing alcohol
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:23:12 PM »
Hi all,
Doesn't seem that anyone is interested in the isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I thought someone might want it for a Sterling or some other external flame sort of engine. If no one shows any interest I'll tell him he can use is on his bonfire :zap:.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »
Art, thanks for the offer, but its denatured alcohol that is used for Stirling's and flame lickers, not isopropyl ( rubbing alcohol). I can't speak as to the chemical differences, but they are different.

Bill

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »
Art,
A can of isopropyl alcohol is useful in the shop.  If it's 99% or better it's a good grease and oil solvent, will flush water out of passages where you don't want standing water and often is good at removing gummy residues from tape, labels etc.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 11:44:34 PM »
Also, pretty good aluminum cutting fluid
Best,
Stan

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 03:49:18 AM »
He said he had the bottom row of a milk crate full, maybe I'll take it myself. Though I cant see myself using that much. My mill is set up with coolant, though sometimes I don't want to turn it on when doing a one off, so now I need one of those plastic squeeze bottles.
Art

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:40:07 AM »
Art, go ahead and keep it. It's great glass cleaner also.

Eric

Offline tomrux

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:49:51 AM »
I would be very careful about using it for coolant. flash point on that stuff is scary low and you often can not see the flames.

jmtc yrmv

Tom R

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal