Engines > From Kits/Castings

Double Tandem Compound Horizontal Mill engine.

<< < (2/115) > >>

Captain Jerry:
That's a good looking project, Jo, and I really like the color.  I hope to see it run. Which leads to my question.  In estimating the steam requirement of a compound engine, is the swept volume of the LP cylinder considered in the same way as the swept volume of the HP cylinder?

Jerry

sbwhart:
Cladding the fly wheel in would look great, and if you realy want the chalenge grooving it for a rope drive would add the icing on the cake for me.

Stew

b.lindsey:
Can't help but notice the similarities between the main frame & cylinders to those of the snow tandem engine. Since this engine predates the snow, I am wondering if its just the nature of the "tandem" beast or whether the snow designers might have borrowed from the design of this and similar engines. In any case, its a fine looking model Jo !!

Bill

NickG:
Will be watching this one as well Jo, very interesting. So you reckon the quality of the castings is good, wonder what's happening with their customer service, are they struggling to get casting sets done, don't have any in stock or what?!

Good point about the sheer size of it .... definitely deserves a boiler and some work to do this engine!  :ThumbsUp:

Nick

kellswaterri:
Hi Jo,
        that will be quite some engine when finished, I can see I will have to get a shufti on, just stocked up on some tooling from Arc Euro...a couple of long reach dial guages and mag bases also large and small Stevensons blocks...you asked about photos of ''cladding'' for the flywheel, remember ''Gugger'' over on Model Engine Proboards, he has photos on his,
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k206/Gugger_2006/Corliss/
You mentioned ''Slump'' when referring to your casting, is this applicable to only aluminum?... Point taken about the ''angle grinder'' ;)
                                                                                    John.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version